Shinta Mani

Junction of Oum Ohun and 14th Street, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Shinta Mani Club Siem Reap
Asiatravel.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Shinta Mani

Live like a king while giving something back

by buterkup about Shinta Mani

Shinta Mani is simply fantastic. We stayed for four nights in the deluxe room on the ground floor. The room was spacious, immaculate, and beautifully designed and included an a/c, in-room safe, tub, shower, free bottles of water, mini-bar, cable television, robes, slippers, mosquito spray, and a variety of soaps. Its design was something akin to a West Elm catalog (for those of you in the States).

The meals were all delicious, of high quality, and beautifully presented. The staff, a combination of both students and full-timers, could not have been more helpful or gracious. The location is a mere five minutes walk to Pub Street, and there are tuk-tuk drivers outside the hotel if you prefer to be driven (only costing $2 for the trip). The hotel staff arranged a tuk-tuk driver to take us to the Angkor temples as well as with our taxis to and from the airport.

The two very minor drawbacks were 1) while our room had a large window, it was near a staff walkway and so we wound up keeping it closed for the most part, thus limiting a lot of natural light; and 2) because the entire facility is open air except for the rooms, you need to be vigilant about keeping the door closed or many a mosquito enter. Of course, this being in and around a jungle, bugs and creatures are par for the road.

Given the plethora of accommodation types in Siem Reap, Shinta Mani is neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. However, it offers a first class experience that promotes the local economy and population and is the perfect way to spend time in Cambodia. The hotel also offers a range of donation packages that benefit both the school itself and local community. We couldn’t have been happier. I had a lovely reflexology spa service that was first rate; the staff also gave me hot tea before it began and a light meal afterwards. While the spa prices are higher than those in and around Pub Street (the primary tourist area to eat & shop), I found Shinta Mani’s spa to be tranquil as it’s partially outside and directly across from the swimming pool that has a fountain. The pool itself was equally divine and the water extremely clean.

Put your money in Cambodia, not corporate America

by fossettes about Shinta Mani

...or corporate France, or even corporate Singapore! We spent 3 nights at the Shinta Mani and I will be recommending it to friends. Was it because of the outstanding service? No, the service was great, but not outstanding. Was it because of the luxury accommodations? No, the accommodations are stylish, but not luxury. Was it because of the wonderful restaurant? Oh yeah, the restaurant IS wonderful!

The real reason to stay at this 18 room boutique hotel is because it's the right thing to do. This is a Cambodian owned hotel, putting money back into the community through charity programs and the hospitality school. The spa is very nice, the rooms are clean and very comfortable and the staff is very accommodating. Most of the staff speak English well and the rest speak enough to understand and be understood (better than my Khmer!) All had smiles that warmed our hearts! We had our 8 year old daughter with us and they treated her wonderfully!

The pool is small but was great for cooling off after climbing the ruins all day.

The only complaint we had is that housekeeping didn't restock the refrigerator daily and took it's time in removing dirty dishes. The grounds are lovely and it's on a quiet street near the center of town with roads leading to the tourist sites. I hope you stay here and feel good about doing so! And if you want to feel great about yourself, make an additional donation - you can see details on their website or at the hotel.

Shinta Mani - do the right thing!

by TripAdvisor Member TomYamMum

I can only echo the positive reviews elsewhere on this website. Shinta Mani is the future, or should be. We found the hotel to be friendly and welcoming and very conveniently located in a quiet street in the French Quarter. The staff are superb and contrary to what another reviewer suggests their English is excellent and their manner professional and courteous. The rooms and the restaurant are of a good standard and the new spa offers a wide range of treatments at a much lower price than comparative establishments here in Thailand. Of course the most important thing to remember when choosing Shinta Mani as your Siem Reap hotel is the humanitarian work they are involved in. The institute of hospitality, which trains disadvantaged young people for work in the booming tourist industry, is a great idea and it really works. If you're going to Cambodia you will see poverty and inequality everywhere you look. The very least you should do to help the country get back on its feet is to choose to support this kind of hotel so that your money is ploughed into progress and the future, rather than profiting yet another international chain. And if that's a bit too political, then choose Shinta Mani for being a delightful, relaxing oasis with friendly and helpful staff who will add another very welcome dimension to your holiday.

Great Service

by syllybabe about Shinta Mani

We chose to eat in the garden rather than in the restaurant. It was nice but didn't seem as good as it's hyped up to be. We had the grilled seafood buffet and my other friend had the lamb which was excellent but the portions were a bit small.

The pic is of what I ordered for dessert. It's sticky rice with banana. The taste was nothing great but the presentation was cool. They prepared it like sushi.

FCC Cambodia is Better

by TripAdvisor Member venicesnapper

We spent 4 nights in Siem Reap in January of 2006. I had read the reviews on this site of both the Shinta Mani and the FCC Cambodia before we went, and I could not make up my mind. So, we stayed 2 nights at the Shinta Mani and 2 nights at the FCC Cambodia.

Honestly, the FCC Cambodia is far superior to the Shinta Mani in every respect.

I see that someone else who has written a review of the Shinta Mani below has mentioned that they had problems with the cleanliness.

When we checked into our room (which was the pool side suite)the room smelled so strongly from RAID bug spray that I had to open all of the windows immediately. The smell did not leave the room for entire 2 days we were there.

The atmosphere, the food and the spa at the FCC Cambodia are so much better than at the Shinta Mani (and at comparable prices) that I am so sorry that no one had written in before comparing the 2 hotels and saved us from staying at the Shinta Mani for those 2 nights rather than at the FCC Cambodia for all 4 nights of our visit to Siem Reap.

If the FCC is fully booked, then you can stay at the Shinta Mani. But otherwise, it's no comparison--honestly.

A Wonderful Place

by TripAdvisor Member paulosussex

Booked a package at the Shinta Mani after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor (was going to stay at the FCC). Everything was wonderful from the pickup at the airport to our final goodbyes. Lovely room around the pool area, great staff, good food and a lovely low-key, relaxing place to be. The location in quiet, but close to shops, the river and a short walk to the central markets. I would recommend this place if you are tired of impersonal big hotels (there are plenty of those in Siem Reap) and want to feel at home somewhere. Thanks Shinta Mani.

An upgraded guesthouse rather than a hotel

I stayed at Shinta Mani in August during my visit to Angkor. I searched hotels on the Internet for days and Shinta Mani seemed to offer fairly good deal for the 5 days I stayed at Siem Reap. I was tricked by their website: ---- which actually give the impression that this is a "real" hotel. However it's more of a seriously upgraded guest house. I have stayed in similar looking places at a fraction of the money I paid at Shinta Mani.

First, the hotel is really small it only has a handful of rooms. For some this can be a great plus. The lobby is weirdly located at the bottom of the steps leading upstairs. All floors are tiled with white ceramic tiles which give the common areas guesthouse or hospital look.

Ok, the restaurant is great - French cuisine with some Asian touches. However it's very expensive.

Location: The locatation is not bad. Shinta Mani sits off the main road on a quiet (and dark) side street.
It is only one block from the river and a walking distance the centre of Siem Reap.

Out of the hotels in the centre of Siem Reap LA Residence D'Angkor seemed really nice (and obviuosly insanely expensive). When I visited Siem Reap they had not yet opened Hotel de la Paix which will for sure be the landmark of Siem Reap. The Art Deco building of H de la Paix is amazing and so out of this world in Seam Reap. But I would propably choose Hotel de la Paix for its central location.

A Memorable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Jo_au

Just returned from a memorable stay at the Shinta Mani. Although the facilities and rooms are wonderful (lovely pool, amazing day spa, well furnished rooms), it was the personal touches and remarkable service that made my stay so special. The staff are genuinely friendly and caring, always pleased to welcome you and really endeavour to make sure everything is perfect. Since this hotel runs a hospitality training program, it's nice knowing that some of the profits are going towards the education and future of Cambodians. Hot tip - the Khmer Barbeque Buffet was great, it's not on every night, but if you get the chance, the food was fresh and delicious!

Al lovely place, but also a but...

by TripAdvisor Member Juules

We stayed in the Shinta Mani for 4 days end of January 2006.

It is indeed a very nice place, cozy and located only a short Tuk Tuk drive to the Temples (15 min to Angkor Wat) and the city centre (5 min).

I agree that the hotel is nicely and tastefully decorated and has a very calm and relaxing atmosphere. The pool is pretty, although very small and has probably the coldest water I ever swam in in a pool! I had a massage one evening which was very nice too and the food in the restaurant was delicious.
All the staff is very friendly and helpful, although you sometimes may experience some language difficulties.

The only thing is that I think that the overall cleanliness could be improved....
We arrived around lunch time and a very lovely receptionist showed us to our room. Upstairs in the lobby some guests had their lunch. The plates were not removed until the next day and even more glasses and plates piled up during the day and evening, so that there was no clean table left in the evening.

The guests at Shinta Mani recieve a Welcome- Coconut, which was brought to our room when we arrived. Although there was a Turn Turn Service (but I think the only thing they did was rearranging the bed cover) neither the empty coconuts nor other fruit rests were removed from the table until housekeeping came the next day.
The bathroom was nicely furnished but is made of a probably very difficult to clean stone material. Unfortunately it had quite some old and very dodgy stains which are not able to be wiped off anymore.

Overall the Shinta Mani is a very nice place to stay and we also liked the idea behind it.
I would stay there again, and I definetly prefer it to the big but impersonal chain hotels like e.g the Le Meridien in Seam Reap which looks like a futuristic bunker in the middle of nowhere.

Lovely boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JMK51

We stayed at the Shinta Mani for 5 nights in Jan/Feb 2006, having chosen it from reviews on this website. We were more than happy with our choice of hotel. The room was spacious, spotlessly clean and attractively decorated. Our room was by the swimming pool so we had the added bonus of an outdoor sitting area. The staff were very friendly and eager to please. The hotel organised a car and driver and an excellent English-speaking guide for us. There is a spacious library area upstairs where you can relax. Guests may use the computer, with unlimited internet access. An excellent breakfast is included in the room rate. Our only disappointment was that the restaurant menu did not feature a larger selection of Khymer dishes.

Recommendatipn for a good hotel etc in Siem Reap

by petert51

Hi any one got a good suggestion for a hotel in Siem Reap

by stamporama

Check out my tip for the Prince d'Angkor Hotel (includes their website address) where I stayed last year.

by GrumpyDiver

Depends on your definition of "good".

We stayed at the Villa Siem Reap last year, and I have no issues recommending it. It's in the mid-range price wise and is walking distance to the market and other areas of interest.

by AlbuqRay

You cannot do better than the Mandalay Inn if you want budget accommodation.

by fossettes

Depending on when you are traveling, I highly recommend the Shinta Mani - however they are closed until January for rennovations.

We stayed there 5 years ago, when there were far fewer options. The real reason to stay at this lovely boutique hotel is because it's the right thing to do. This is a Cambodian owned hotel, putting money back into the community through charity programs and the hospitality school. The spa is very nice, the rooms are clean and very comfortable and should be especially nice after the reno.

The staff is very accommodating. Most of the staff speak English well and the rest speak enough to understand and be understood (better than my Khmer!)

by cochinjew

I see that you have asked a question about Burma as well. Mandalay Inn is my preferred hotel in Siem Reap and the owner is Burmese from Yangon who has all the connections you would need in Yangon. His wife is Khmer.

Food

by JonnyVN

Going to Cambodia for the first time next week (can't believe it's taken this long!)

Looking for suggestions on the best Kmer food, any thoughts any one.

by cachaseiro

you can buy marihuana pizza on the main street in pnomh penh ;Ø)

by fossettes

I can't remember exactly what the dishes were by name, but they reminded me a lot of Thai food, lots of fish and chicken with curry and other spices. All the Khmer food I tried was excellent. If you're going to Siem Reap and want a "nice" dinner I would recommend either the restaurant at the Shinta Mani hotel or the Foreign Correspondents Club. Both have great local and western food with nice atmosphere.

I haven’t been, but in Phnom Penh, a place called Frizz was recommended by several people as having great Khmer Food.

Have fun!

by cachaseiro

Foreign Correspondents Club in pnomh penh is one of the coolest places i have been in asia.
it still retains a lot of the charm from the old days.
great place to sip a quiet drink while enjoying life passing by.

by JonnyVN

Glad you mentioned the Press Club as I will be having a couple of meetings there on Thursday, thanks

by mim95

Try Friends in Phnom Penh, for a good cause and good food! It's a couple of blocks from the palace a few steps from the museum. Opened by an NGO to give street kids a chance to learn some skills.
ttp://www.streetfriends.org/CONTENT/BUSINESS/restaurant.html

by dancingroads

For REAL khmer dishes (not just loklak or fried veg) my favorite places are...

Sko Thom restaurant- looks basic but the food is cheap and great (street 184, near the French Cultural centre and opposite "ocean burger")

Sweet -real khmer dishes in a garden setting (street 294 next to talkin to a stranger)

Romdeng - also run by the NGO 'Friends', who train up street kids. again, real khmer food- and for a good cause (treet 278, behind lucky supermarket)

by atufft

I also have hard time remembering the names of the dishes, but basically you'll want to take advantage of the abundance of freshwater fish available from the Tonle Sap and Mekong River. There is one with a firm white meat that is not sturgeon, but is similar to it in texture. Also, I recall, just as in Thailand, there was a floating vegetable of some sort that was pan fried and was sort of like tender green beans in texture and color. Prepare yourself for spicey food. The Hotel Angkor Wat has an excellent buffet, as I recall, as part of the evening dance theater production. This shouldn't be missed if you are in the area.

Orphanages in SR

by stedeb

Hi we ar eoff to Siem Reap later in the year. We were wondring last time we visited we noticed a lot of poverty we would like to take a donation to either a orphanage or school of school books, pencils etc the problem is we dont know any contacts. Anyone can help with an email address so we can contact???

RE: Orphanages in SR

by fossettes

I have two sites for you to look at...

Caring for Cambodia is a great organization that operates a school called the Amelio School. Have a look at http://www.caringforcambodia.org/

Also, if you haven't booked a room yet, you might want to consider the Shinta Mani. We stayed there last year and loved it (sorry, haven't built pages yet, but I will!) I highly recommend it. Is it because of the outstanding service? No, the service was great, but not outstanding. Is it because of the luxury accommodations? No, the accommodations are stylish, but not luxury. Is it because of the wonderful restaurant? Oh yeah, the restaurant IS wonderful!

The real reason to stay at this 18 room boutique hotel is because it's the right thing to do. This is a Cambodian owned hotel, putting money back into the community through charity programs and the hospitality school. Most of the staff speak English and it's in a nice quiet location in town.

RE: Orphanages in SR

by St_Vincent

You might get some help at this site. They help disadvantaged children in many of the poorer countries and do work in Cambodia.

www.everychild.org.uk