Vithei Charles De Gaulle, Road to Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Tara Angkor Hotel

Luxury Hotel

by iammon about Tara Angkor Hotel

This is a new luxury hotel which opened in 2007. The rooms are great. Nice size, good bathroom, TV, Safe (make sure you put everything in it otherwise you get a warning from the hotel management which we found out as we let some money out to try that got wet in a rainstorm), free water every day, in other words you should miss nothing. The breakfast buffet is huge and you can either eat it inside in the air conditioned rooms or outside in the garden area. The staff is very friendly. There is a small pool area with a bar, they have a Restaurant, gift shop and a tour information desk.
We choose the hotel as they offer free bike usage for visiting the temples. However already the taxi driver that brought us from the airport mentioned, that guests from this hotel do not bike, which is probably true. We got the impression, that we used the cooks or maids bikes. Definitely better to rent one in town. We liked the location, which is close to the temple entrance and still you could walk to town along the river.
We thought for 60 Euros it was a great deal. Of course the guesthouses are way cheaper....

Pleasant stay

by tigertribal about Tara Angkor Hotel, Siem Reap: June 2009

Nice comfortable hotel. We had a clean, comfortable and spacious room at the front of the hotel on the busy main road but heard very little noise.

Good buffet breakfast with plenty of Western and Asian choices. Ate lunch there one day which was also good.

Pool area is small but then again, you are here to the explore the temples, and the pool is fine for a cooling dip.

The only problem we had was that we had paid our bill the night before we departed and put the receipt in our cases, but in the morning they had no record that we had paid, so we had to go thru our luggage to find the recept.

Location is not perfect, on the main road, about 5km from the town centre, so too far to walk, or 2km from Angkor complex. Tuk-tuk is $2-$3 into town centre which soon adds up when you do a couple of return journeys per day.

Overall, I would still recommend

Tara Angkor Saved My Life

by TripAdvisor Member NYCityGirl13

We drove into Siem Reap at night, after traveling by bus and driver through torrential rains. Didn't have a booking but they gave us a great rate for 3-night's stay for low season. My travel partner was sick, and getting into this modern, clean, insect-free, air-conditioned room was just what we needed. Part of the package was a multi-course lunch or dinner (we chose dinner for later that evening) and the cambodian food was delicious. Also included was an hour of free internet use (3 computers available in the lobby), and breakfast every morning (very good).

The pool had a nice layout and was very clean- perfect for post-temple sightseeing refreshment- the poolside food and service was great. Markets and pub street were just a $1.50 tuk-tuk ride away.

It's a great place to stay (moderate luxury in american standards for a decent price) and we had no complaints whatsoever!

The beautiful Tara Suite, 120sqm of oppulence!! Exceptional Value!!

by TripAdvisor Member uandtrademe

For the same price as an urban room at Hotel De La Paix, we booked the incredible Tara Suite at Tara Angkor Hotel. After a very friendly and efficient hotel transfer from the airport, we were 'çhecked in', in suite. During the 'check in' procedure, we were presented with a cool towel, cold drink, complimentary cookies, bowl of fruit and complimentary scarves.

Practically 'chomping at the bit', we couldn't wait for 'check in' to be over, so we could have a good look around this amazing suite.

At 120sqm, the Tara Suite is anything but cramped. Luxurious living spaces (including a formally set dining table), boast a huge flat screen t.v., and it's own powder room with full bathroom amenities. An absolutely massive super king sized bed is dwarfed by the master bedroom itself, which is also equiped with a whopping plasma t.v., a dressing area, and the most beautiful ensuite.

Ensuite is a term I will use loosely, as really it is a very spacious bathroom, with spa bath and waterfall shower - absolute bliss!!

A wonderful place to relax after visiting temples, the tara suite is affordable luxury.

Tara Angkor hotel, works hard to provide great service, but unfortunately for us, not many of the staff speak english. The Manager/Concierge, however, spoke great english, and once we realised this, we organised everything through her to avoid confusion.

For anyone considering visiting Siem Reap in the low season, as we did; rain is not the problem, the heat is. Make sure you allow 5 -7 days to get around the temples, as it is most comfortable to do this at dawn. Otherwise it is hard going in the heat!

I have only one photo to add, but hope I can upload a video of the suite later. Thanks to Tara for a great stay!!

Very nice hotel and service

by TripAdvisor Member MplsguyMinneapolis

Tara Angkor is a great hotel with friendly staff. The hotel is closer to the Angkor temples than many other hotels (which means it is a 25 minute walk or $2 tuk-tuk ride to the city's market area where many restaurants, bars and markets are to be found).

The hotel can provide a bicycle for those brave souls who want to explore Angkor temples on wheels.

Recomend!

Great property, fantastic staff

by TripAdvisor Member AussieFrog

Decided to splurge on a resort in low season and loved Tara Angkor. A 4 star hotel, this place has a great pool, spacious rooms and a great breakfast buffet.
But it's the staff that make the difference - everyone was extraordinarily pleasant and helpful - we were made to feel welcome from the moment of airport pickup to checkout.
It's a very close tuk-tuk ride into town ($1-$2 and you avoid the town noise) and also close to Ankgor Wat. An ideal location.
I would stay here again.

Average Hotel trying hard

by TripAdvisor Member LiveTravelDie

Stayed here based on reviews so far. I have to admit I did not enjoy as much as others. I expected more after reviewing the website.
While it is a new hotel (I think opened last year) , I was expecting more of a five star finish. Quite honestly it feels less quality of other hotels such as the Grand Raffles Hotel or the De La Paix Hotel. The restaurant felt like a huge open space catering to groups and the pool was was rarely in the sun. I didnt really enjoy the layout of the hotel where rooms look onto each other and felt little privacy. Maybe rooms on the outside of the building would be better but potentially noisier due to location of main road.
Have seen people saying location is great to visit the temples, but frankly every hotel is close. All hotels would be within ten minutes of the main Angkor temple and no hotel is close enough to go by foot. So it is a moot point which is closer. And Tara is actually out of the main town center. Better located hotels would be FCC (but food not so good there) or De La Paix (food much better there).
Overall quality would be 3-4 star, but then again, I guess you get what you pay for.
Ideal for those just wanting basic , clean and new accommodation without the luxury...maybe my expectation was too high?

worth a look and a stay

by TripAdvisor Member jrgm

this hotel is well run, great service and attendive staff. I used an online booking not through the hotel so the airport transfer was extra.. 10USD. Rooms are clean, new and I was facing the street but no noice that I would consider a problem. The included breakfast had a great variety for both western and Asian tastes. The hotel is only a short Tuk Tuk ride from the main night life of Pub Street and it is safe to use them, I had a driver and vehicle which I used most of the time. Mr. Yung email [-------@yahoo.com], he was excellent, good english and knowledgeable of the local sites. I would highly recommend him, the hotel was not much help in this area so send him an email in advance of your trip and you will safe some valuable time and money. Final note , use USD take small denominations things are very reasonable.

Lovely rooms, great staff.

by TripAdvisor Member AsiaLou

We stayed at the Tara from 25th-30th June and got a 5 nights for the price of 4 deal. Excellent, clean attractive hotel and very good value.
Arriving in Siem Reap was truly great! We were through arrivals, picked up by the hotel bus and checked in (in our room!) within half an hour! We were met in the lobby and taken straight up to our rooms which were ready for us at 8.30am. We then had a welcome drink, cold towels and were given our vouchers for complimentary dinner- along with complimentary fruit bowls and baskets of cookies. Amazing!
We booked a suite with connecting room for our 2 young children. Really big rooms, lovely bathrooms and 3 tvs!! (Our children were ecstatic!)
Great pool, elegant, clean and empty on all but 1 day! So our children loved splashing around and having lunch by the pool after morning temple tours. Nice food (particularly the taste of Cambodia evening meal) and really good breakfasts.
The staff were friendly, gracious and just genuinely welcoming and helpful.
The only thing I would say is a down point is that the hotel is very 'dead' at night. It's not really conducive to sitting having a drink in the lobby because it's so empty and quiet! However, Angkor is the kind of place you do tend to go to bed early because of getting up early to see the temples. Plus, town and excellent restaurants and bars is only a 5 minute tuk tuk ride away.
We will definitely be back. Angkor is awesome (and do visit Preah Khan temple - a much quieter version of Ta Prohm!) and the Tara is great.

Beautiful Cambodia

by tigertribal

This was our second visit to this amazing country, June 2009, previously having been here in June 2006.

We enjoyed it so much the first time we just had to return and so far it is the only country we have returned to in our travels, apart from Spain.

The first time we came here, we visited Siem Reap for four nights staying at the Day Inn Hotel.
We had booked Ponheary, who is a very knowledgeable guide, and an air conditioned car to take us around the Angkor Temple complex for three days.

The second time, we first went to Phonm Penh, staying at the Sunway Hotel for two nights and then flying to Siem Reap, staying at the Tara Angkor Hotel for four nights.

This time we just organised for a tuk-tuk to take us around the Angkor Temple complex for two days but we did hire an air conditioned car for one day to take us further afield ie to Beng Melia and Kbal Spean.

Advice on itinerary please

by pgthompson

Hi,

Flying from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap on Tuesday, stay there until Sunday and travel down to Sihanoukville until Friday and then go to Phnom Penh and fly from there back to Kuala Lumpur on the Sunday.

Therefore its 5 nights in Siem Reap
5 nights in Sihanoukville
2 nights Phnom Penh

Is it easy to travel from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville or am I better going to Phonom Penh first and then Sihanoukville, I fly from Phnom Penh late afternoon, how long would it take to get to the airport from Sihanoukville?

Any tips on hotels in all 3 places would be appreciated, also the must things to do and restaurants and bars to visit.

Many thanks

by tropique

Check out Tara Angkor in Siem Reap. As for restaurants/bar, I'd recommend FCC (both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap).

by Eggboy

Its probably easier to refer you to my Siem Reap page for things to see and do. In Siem Reap, head to the Old Market area including Pub Street for places to eat and drink. Just walk the street until you see somethign you like the look of. Most folk like to go to the Red Piano or at least take a photo of the sign out the front as it was featired briefly in Tomb Raider movie.

I have just come back from PP so I can give you a brief list of things to do as my page has not been built (started) yet :)

Wat Phnom
Choeng Ek (The Killing Fields)
Central Market
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Royal Palace
National Museum

If you head down to Sisowath Quay there are plenty of places to eat and drink. Sorry but I am useless at remembering where I ate and drank in PP. maybe I had too much fun!

Not been to S'ville so I cant help with what to do there.

if you give me an idea of hotel type and budget I can make a recommendation at SR and PP. Let me know

Eggboy

by betska

The bus from Sihanoukville to PP takes around 5 hrs, and the one that I took dropped some people off right at the airport. The bus company name was "Paramount Angor Express". Cost was $5. You don't give a budget, but in Sihanoukville, there are plenty of great places to stay and eat. I stayed at a place on Ocheutal Beach called Markara Guest House, US$13 per night for a clean room with aircon, and the resturant there was good, specially for breakfast. There are also some very flash, more up-market bungalows at the very end of Serendipty Beach that looked very nice. There are many great resturants along the beach that serve fresh seafood & 50 cent beers. I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of bus companies that do the run direct from SR to Sihanoukville, including Paramount Express.
In Phonm Penh, I had a good meal at "Khmer Borane" on the waterfront, they did a very nice "amok", also ate at a little Mexcican cafe nearby that was very good.

Comments