No. 18 Taphul Village, Svay Dangkum Commune, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Travelocity Otel.com

• riffatnoreen's Profile Photo

good place

Unique Quality: Rooms are a quite big size, clean and comfortable. We Stayed at this place for 4 nights. staff are really welcoming and service was great. Breakfast options are good. Pool was great after long hot days sightseeing. I would recommend the hotel to other travelers.

Directions: Siem Reap, Cambodia

More about The Kool Hotel

The coolest hotel in Southeast Asia

by TripAdvisor Member Rhyacotriton

The Kool Hotel is the coolest hotel in all of southeast Asia. This was our second time visiting Siem Reap with a main motivation staying at the Kool hotel again. We needed a quiet place with internet access to work on our research papers. We have been traveling and living primarily in the jungle since July and needed a relaxing place to stay for two weeks. The hotel is new, very clean, with excellent food; we love the oatmeal bars and box lunches provides for our excursions. The massages are also very reasonably priced and excellent. The staff will make you feel like Angkor Royalty to compliment your visit to the temples. We hope we can return someday. Thank you Dan and Nat!

The great sactuary in Siem Reap

by TripAdvisor Member Paula_Ng

It was my first time in Cambodia, heard a lot of interesting history and would like to experience "Angkor Wat" so i decided to surf and found out Kool hotel. Wah! name so interesting so I sent mail to do the booking. More than expected, the room (i can rate it as 5 star very nice and tidy. Staffs are also very friendly and helpful for me to experience "Angkor Wat".

If you ask me whether do i want to come again? Of course I will say yes and definitely choose Kool hotel. Good memories and good friendship. Thanks again the Kool hotel for such a great stay.

Excellent Service, friendly gem!

by TripAdvisor Member Megamert

Although its location isn't obvious at first, the Kool Hotel is indeed a hidden gem. The staff welcomes you the moment you pull up, offering welcome drinks and snacks. Although new, the hotel has a lot of charm and good-sized rooms with modern amenities. The free breakfast was a nice addition. They don't have an elevator (a little challenging, since our room was on the 4th floor and I was on crutches), but this was a very minor inconvenience.

A sincere commitment to hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member NeoChina

I had never been to Cambodia before and went online to research hotels and The Kool Hotel stood out because of its great reviews. After staying there recently for three nights, I wholeheartedly recommend it, too. All the staff made my stay exceptional. From their welcoming tone when I checked in, to the care paid to preparing my meals, to the spotless cleanliness of my room, every interaction made clear that the staff strive for high-quality customer service. In addition, they routinely went above and beyond what I expected, like patiently explaining all my touring options around Angkor or just ordering a tuk-tuk if I said on a moment's notice I'd like to go somewhere. Although the hotel isn't located in downtown Siem Reap, I think its location on a small side street is a huge asset since there is virtually no noise, making it a pleasant place to sleep. In short, the best thing about The Kool Hotel is the staff's sincere commitment to hospitality. These guys earn every dollar. If I can go back to Angkor, I am definitely staying with them again.

Certainly a Kool Place To Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member JDY77

We spent 6 nights at the Kool Hotel and can thoroughly recommend it. The hotel itself is very attractively laid out, a really nice size being not to big and its spotlessly clean. The staff are incredibly friendly and the owners speak perfect English (among other languages) as they have both spent many years in Australia/NZ. Food wise they have an extensive and very reasonably priced menu and as we speak are building another restaurant and swimming pool.
As far as visiting Angkor and other sights, the guys can organise anything you want and you won’t pay over the odds at all. They gave us some sound advise about times best to go to places and if certain trips were worthwhile (due to dry season etc) which certainly saved us some disappointment. We normally organise most of this ourselves but as each successive days trip worked out, we just kept going back to them

The hotel is situated is perfect in that its away from the heart and noise of Siem Reap but just a 15 min walk or $2 in a Tuk Tuk. If your looking to stay at somewhere that’s great value and has all of the above , then this is the place for you. it’s a new hotel and I think that previous reviews speak for themselves. We will certainly return here if ever back in Siem Reap and will be recommending to all we know.

Dirty rooms, bugs everywhere, mixed feelings about staff, would not recommend

by TripAdvisor Member paulboogie

I stayed at the Kool Hotel for three nights ($34 per night). When I made my booking I asked them to email me to help me with my Angkor Wat itinerary. Dara was quick to respond, very professional, and offered reasonable rates for a car/driver.

Airport pickup was complimentary (one of their current promotions) but they sent a very unprofessional tuktuk driver to pick me up. He pulled over to take a phone call (this is fine, he was probably confirming that he picked me up) but then he begged me to hire him to go touring the next day. I had to ask him three times to go to the hotel for him to get back on the road. Very unpleasant when you're on a tuktuk on the side of a dusty road and drenched in sweat from the hot Cambodian weather. When we finally got to the hotel, the staff greeted me with a cool welcome drink and after they made sure I had my itinerary all set, I went up to my room.

On the surface the room appeared fine, room, etc. but after lying down on my bed for a while I saw a small bug right next to me. I decided to do a more careful inspection of the bed and upon removing the blanket, I found hair and eyelashes on the bedsheets that obviously didn't belong to me. I requested to be moved to another room and the bed in the second room was even worse -- even more eyelashes and long hairs on the bedsheets, and dirt on one of the pillows. They eventually got me a clean set of sheets, but switching rooms multiple times due to dirty rooms is not something I was looking forward to, when all I wanted to do was eat dinner and sleep. This was fortunately only a problem on the first night.

They should do something about bugs getting in the room. There were spiders, cockroaches, mosquitos and other flying insects in my room, and this made me so paranoid that I would feel things creeping up on me when there weren't. They should clean the dust on the windowsill. Two free complimentary bottled waters but no refrigerator in the room. The TV has many channels. The wireless internet is reliable but slow.

Free breakfast from 7-10am. The dining area is hot, and there are many flies despite it being indoors (later I saw one of the waitresses with a fly swatter in her hand, making a valiant effort at correcting this). I ordered dinner at the restaurant on the first night, a Khmer beef salad called lok lak but it was awful (beef was too tough and salty). The next morning I ordered a breakfast burrito and found a hair in it. I told the waiter and showed him the hair, but he seemed nonchalant about it as if it were standard. I told him to tell the manager and he nodded his head, but I don't think he understood me. But other than this and the tuktuk incident, I found the staff quite helpful.

The hotel provided a wonderful guide (Ms. Kinal) and a car/driver at okay prices, although you will have to pay extra for sunsets and longer trips. e.g. if you want to go to Banteay Srei, it's $10 extra ($5 for the guide, $5 for the car/driver), and the same for a sunset at Bakeng Mountain. There was no communication between the guide and the hotel regarding my itinerary so I had to give my guide my copy. If you're going to be out touring all day, I would definitely recommend getting a car over a tuktuk. The 15 minutes in between temples sitting in an airconditioned car and not having to breathe in smog & dirt is worth the extra money.

The location is not very good and you will have to take tuktuk if you want to go somewhere. There are tuktuk drivers waiting outside the hotel that charge $2 each way. For example, if you want to go out for dinner on Pub Street, it's $4 roundtrip and the driver will wait outside while you eat. Be sure to have the hotel's business card if you're going one-way -- random tuktuk drivers will not know the hotel as it is relatively new.

Tip: For food, I recommend the Phsa Chas restaurant near Pub Street, across from the Amok restaurant. They have an excellent orange shake for only $0.50 and reasonably priced food, at least compared to the Western restaurants on Pub Street where you have to pay Western prices.

Due to the dirty beds and bugs, I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends. The staff (with exceptions) and the guide they provided were great but not enough to justify my terrible stay.

Most friendly hotel ever

by TripAdvisor Member PuMee

I went to a trip in Cambodia with my 6 other friends and has been referred to The Kool by my friend who'd also stay at this hotel. The hotel is very nice and the room offers spacious space for you to strech your legs after a super long walk around the Angkor Wat. Clean and well-decorated room. The staff are super friendly; especially Dan and Nat who could take great care of you on everything from arranging transportation to book all the tickets and pack you lunch. You can just be blanked going there 'caz they will guide and arrange everything for you. Highly recommend this hotel!!

Loved this hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Shanghai-rob

I stayed here with my spouse and 2 friends and we all loved this place. Nate and Dane were so helpful and arranged everything for our Angkor Wat experience, including picnic lunch to go, our touk touk drivers, and other adventures.. The hotel was immaculate and the rooms were 5 star. You can see from my pics how great it was. The location was good as it was quiet at night, and only a 2-3$ touk touk ride to dt Siem Reap. I highly recommend this hote to anyone visiting Siem Reap. There is also a rooftop patio with a small pool to relax and have a few cocktails.

I expected a motel but instead, I found myself in a 2nd home...

by TripAdvisor Member Sophia275

It is my 1st trip to Cambodia and the 1st time I ever travelled alone. I planned a trip with a partner but we just broke up a few days before I took off. I thought it would be scary and dangerous for a woman to travel alone but yet I insisted becos I was in the moment of getting away from any familiar places.

Anyway, it took me only around 1 hr from Bankok to Siam Reap with Bkk airways but I was so paranoid all the time on the plane that a promised free picked up will not come as people warned me so much about free things never existed in Cambodia. But my driver was just waiting for me to arrrive at the airport. He's not speaking english very well but so eager to help me with my luggages and very talkative as I pretended that I can understand his accent completely. (Pls forgive me)

When I arrived at the hotel, the staffs greet me with welcome drink and cool towel which is just perfect for hot weather then a hotel manager on duty patiently explained to me what the hotel has to offer. (I wish some of the 4 or 5 stars hotels in Thailand would have paid this same attention to me when I stayed with them.)

Anyway, I was so pleasant to find myself in a room which is quite bigger than those normal deluxe rooms I used to stay. And I can tell anyone reading here that $34 is just too cheap comparing to what I really get here. It's spotlessly clean, well decorated and the bath room is even better than what I have at home. Though the hot water is not very hot but I didn't use it anyway after a typical SEA summer day. I rest a little reading my favorite book then came down for dinner.

I'm not the type that dine inside the hotel but as it was my 1st trip alone so I was not quite sure to go out to town looking for a fantastic restuarant which I may not find and got lost instead so I decided to eat at the hotel's restuarant. I chose a fried fish menu with spicy salad which I have already forgot the name and fried rice. The foods were presented to me in a very good looking way and it tasted just like home. (My mom is the kind that spend more times in the kitchen than the bedroom.)

I guess I just sit there at the dining table looking bored for too long even after the meal that a staff who care enough walked to my table and asked me if I had anything unpleasant about the foods or the hotel. I tell him the truth that I was not plan to come alone and the reason that I look depressed. He was so generous that he offer to take me to the night market and a pub just to keep me company and so I said yes but for tomorrow night.

Later that night I have a peaceful moment reading and a good night sleep. I think this is the good point that the hotel is not right in town. Full rest is a must to get ready for tough sightseeing day at Angkor Wat. Trust me you will use up all your energy walking climbing, taking pictures and a whole lot more of walkings.... but it's the greatest architecture that you must see once in your lifetime. One more tip, never ever ever decide to book a one day trip or try to hire or arrange a guide or a transport by yourself. Let the hotel manage that for you. I tried that thinking it's definitely gonna be cheaper but I was wrong. Thanks to Nat who finally help me with everything and get me the best sightseeing thip ever and worth every dollars. Oh, don't forget to try the lunch box set which the hotel can prepare for you. It will make your life just easier.

After a long day trip, cool shower really help relief the pain from both your legs then I went out with the staffs of the hotel who took me to the night market. They just take me around, show me where is a great place to dine. They told me what I shouldn't buy and even helped me make the bargain. I really had fun that night. It's like going out with your gang not just strangers you met yesterday.

Too bad I only have time for 2 night, but I definitely come back next year becos there are so many other tourist attractions that I haven't had a chance to visit and I definitely stay with The Kool again.

P.S. One more tip for anyone looking for a hotel in Siem Reap. If you want a sincere, warm welcome, trustworthy place to stay so that you can rest well and not to worry about anything pick THE KOOL now !!! And one last tip for those who has already booked a room at the kool. If you ever want anything in this world just ask any staff ie. direction, place to eat, place to visit, any services even a friend. They can just give you and you wouldn't have to do anything yourself.

Comments