The Siem Reap Hostel

PandawitchElphie's Profile Photo

Siem Reap Hostel: Great place, price and location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 7, 2014

I've always loved the vibe of hostels. And The Siem Reap Hostel didn't disappoint. People think hostels are wild or rowdy or dirty because it's cheap...not true. I found SRP to be a great place to stay.

First, it's cheap. You have a choice of staying in the dorm rooms (several of you staying in bunk beds) or getting a private room. We took a private room. It's HUGE for $20/night. It has big giant beds (high and firm- no sagging mattresses), TV (with HBO HD heck yeah!), it's own private bathroom (with separate toilet from the shower and a separate sink-- this means no hogging of the bathroom!). Strong hot water. A ceiling fan and an aircon. It's almost like a hotel!! Worth more than the price we paid for it. The beds are high because you have a luggage storage underneath (bring padlocks). Oh! Almost forgot, we discovered that you can have one load of laundry done for free if you get a private room. Now, where else can you get that??

Great location-- literally around 5 mins stroll to pub street. Heck, I don't brisk walk--I'm lazy. The idea of walking anywhere in the heat of Cambodia would most likely be met with a "no way". BUT, I'm here to say it's really very near Pub Street, and yes, I walked it. They say it's 5 mins to Pub Street... I'd say 8. (Told you, I'm lazy. I stroll. I don't brisk walk). A tuktuk ride to pub street is just a $1. So either way, it's cheap to get to places.

The indoor pool is a blessing on a hot day. Trust me... wherever you go, get a place with a pool. Siem Reap heat is no joke. It can cook you... and pools have a way of cooling you down to your bones. At least that's what we discovered.

The food is good. The price is cheap. If you take a private room, you get free breakfast. That means cereals, fresh fruits, pancakes, toast/bread, milk, juice, coffee. I'm a meat eater -- so I did this for one morning then the rest of our stay I would order from their menu for beef loklak or something else. We've checked... price is similar to some restos in pub street and but tastes better so The Siem Reap Hostel kitchen is good. Beer is cheap too. I don't drink but I noticed beer is cheaper than my Coke. I thought some of you would like to know that.

If you're all tired out from the temples, there are loads to do in the hostel. They have a foozball table, a billiard table and a giant 4-in-a-line game (we went nuts over this). They're free for use. They also have a cinema room which airs shows starting at 6pm. It's a cozy place! We wanted to catch some shows because we liked the room so much but I always chose a massage over the movies. They also have yoga classes on certain times. And if you're lucky to be there on a sunday-- a barbeque!

As for the hostel being tourist friendly-- it is. They have sign up boards in case you want to join tours or activities. They have their own particular food tour where they take you walking thru the market, sampling the delicacies AND exotic. I'm not an adventurous eater so... this one I had to pass. They also have 3 PC's free for your use. Wifi is terrific on all floors. And the staff are all friendly. Also... there's always a bunch of tuktuks waiting outside so you'll never worry about not having transportation.

In case you need to check out early, they have a secure room right next to the reception where you can leave your luggage. That's what we did. We checked out at noon, left our luggage, went to the temples, came back, had a shower (they have public showers for you to use on the 3rd floor) and zoomed to the airport.

All in all, I can say I was already planning to go back to Siem Reap and stay at the hostel even before I boarded the plane home. I don't even have to drag my boyfriend back either... I felt the hostel to be clean, classy even though it's cheap and safe even for single female travellers.

I highly recommend the place.

Last tip! I read it here on VT and I have to agree--- ask for the 2nd floor away from the stairs, if you don't like to party and want to rest. I found it peaceful. If you do, however like to party and join in the fun of a true backpacker place, take the 1st floor. :) (we got room 204 and it was perfect). If you email, they quickly reply. You've NO idea the amount of friendly emails we exchanged as I was planning our trip.

katemayer's Profile Photo

One of the Best Hostels I've Ever Stayed In

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 31, 2013

This hostel was the best combination of amenities and personality. It was clean, well maintained with an exceptional staff, amazing pool, great common area and perfect location. It helped make my trip to Cambodia one of the most memorable places I could ever imagine!

Unique Quality: Incredible pool and movie nights!

Nearby The Siem Reap Hostel

The Siem Reap Hostel

• The Siem Reap Hotel Siem Reap

Address: 10 Makara Street, Near the corner of Wat Bo Road and the High School Road, Siem Reap, Cambodia

4 Photos of The Siem Reap Hostel

Amenities at The Siem Reap Hostel

• Restaurant
  • Swimming Pool
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Siem Reap Travel Forum

Need advice about Siem Reap, Cambodia? Visit the Travel Forum for Siem Reap and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Siem Reap hotel reviews

Tourist Information Centre
Visiting the Angkor sites in 3 days
Nice Restaurant & Lounge in rooftop
Restaurants
Best panoramic bar and restaurant in Siem Reap!
Pub Street