Anise Hotel

2C Street 278 off 57, Beoung Keng Kang I, Chamkamorn, Phnom Penh, 00000, Cambodia

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• ZENDER's Profile Photo

A Brand New Boutique Hotel

This hotel was newly opened when we were there in Phnom Penh and the offerings of this boutique hotel are mouth-watering enough for us to want to stay in it when we are back in Phnom Penh.
    First of all, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our very first request was granted very fast and we got a sneak preview of the various kinds of rooms as well as the facilities that this hotel offered. That took our breath away.
    Best of all, it is reasonably cheap with free Internet broadband access. Wonderful!

More about Anise Hotel

A Brand New Boutique Hotel

by ZENDER about Anise Hotel & Restaurant

another great street in PP

by racayadi about Anise Hotel

comfortable, clean, great A/C
top floors have great sky views and sunset..
they claim it is a boutique hotel... I don't go that far, but it has a nice looking terrace and a good location. Paid US$26.00 for single room....

street hotel is on is awesome.... cafe's, restaurants, bars, international crowd, craft shops, internet rooms......

did not get to try bfast-- but evening before saw pastries -- looking very french and succulent....

- other hotels/guest houses on same street - seemed to be as comfortable and cheaper.....

SOME OF THE MANY MASS GRAVES DISCOVERED HERESOME OF THE MANY MASS GRAVES DISCOVERED HERE

Vietnamese borderVietnamese border

Big Boy's Breakfast, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.Big Boy's Breakfast, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

with no cosutmerswith no cosutmers

To go or not

by roamer61

I am trying to figure if Phnom Penh should be included in a trip to Cambodia or if I should just fly to Siem Reap from Bangkok. Need feedback and opinions on the capital city.

by 02knobby

Hi I am heading there in July and have been there 3 times before. I think its worth dropping in if you are going all that way but gee you can see most things in 2 or 3 days. Tuol Sleng is the school come gaol of the Kmer Rouge and takes 2 or 3 hours to look around. The "killing fields" is "Ok" for a look but not all that dramatic in its historical value. Taking in the FOreign Correspondnet Club for a couple of hours with a beer and just to watch life go by is fun. NOt a great fan of the presidentail palace. THe coffee dining strip along the mekong worth a coffee and take in the ambience. THe Russian Market and the Central market worth a look. I flew Siem Reap to PP once. THe other 2 times just hired a taxi for about US 60 which with 2 was more expensive than bus but a peaceful drive. Its a city of history but gee 3 days probably the max....good luck and enjoy

by Etoile2B

I personally loved Phnom Penh, but it's not for everyone. It's definitely a big city and has a much different feel than Siem Reap. When I was in Siem Reap I felt the tourist influence much more than I did in Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh felt more like real Cambodia. There is a lot to see. We only spent a day and a half there and if we had more time we probably would have spent another day there. I have several tips posted on the city. Check it out and read other members tips. I think that will give you a good impression of the city and if it's a place you're interested in visiting. I would recommend a visit to PP for sure!

by johnboywalton71

Yes, by all means you should include Phnom Penh if you have an interests in Cambodia larger than Angkor. For one thing, you will have to pass through it in order to get to points further south (Kampot, Kep, Snookeyville) or east (Vietnam). For another, I regard it as being both the dodgiest and the most charming major city in Southeast Asia.

I wrote a piece about it here, which may help you make up your mind:

by flobotnj

I can't recommend visiting Phnom Penh enough! I spent a few weeks there last summer and have such fond memories of the city and the many wonderful people I met there. In addition to the restaurants, shops, and various cultural sights, visiting Tuol Sleng and the Killing Fields was a powerful, emotional, and very important part of my experience there. Hope you have a fantastic trip!

by roamer61

Thank you all for your feedback. After some reading, I have decided that Phnom penh will be incorporated into my itinerary when I go. The National Museum is of particular interest.

Travel Tips for Phnom Penh

Best Corn Ever

by easterntrekker

As soon as we crossed the border into Cambodia we saw venders selling these light beige coloured corn on the cobs, the husk and all were cooked. Everyone on our bus seemed pretty excitde to buy them but we ( dumb tourists ) passed .Finally a fellow passenger took pity on us and gave us one .How could we refuse? As it turned out they were read delicious! Not sure how it was cooked but it was finger licking good.We saw it around at many of the food stalls after that .It must be a popular "fast " food.

A monument to man's inhumanity.

by CEP1863

Lying approximately 15km from central Phnom Penh in rural surroundings, I arranged a driver via the tour desk of my hotel.

I was shocked at how peaceful the place was, especially considering the mass genocide that took place here. Between 1975 and 1978, over 17,000 men, women and children were brought here to be executed. Many were bludgeoned to death to spare the expense of a bullet and the killing tree was the spot where executioners beat the children to death. Many of the mass graves have been excavated and the Memorial Stupa built in 1988 houses over 8000 skulls arranged in order of age and gender that are clearly visible through the glass panels. Remarkably, the site is peaceful and without the visible evidence everywhere, it would be hard to imagine the atrocities that took place here.

Another sign: 'THE MOST TRAGIC...

by keeweechic

Another sign: 'THE MOST TRAGIC THING IS THAT....

Even in the 20th century,on Kampuchean soil, the clique of Pol Pot criminals had committed a heinous genocidal act, they massacred the population with atrocity in a large scale, it was more cruel than the genocidal act committed by the Hitler fascists, which the world has never met.

With the commemorative stupa in front of us, we imagine that we are hearing the grievous voice of the victims who were beaten by Pol Pot men with canes, bamboo stumps or heads of hoes; who were stabbed with knives or swords. We seem to be looking at the horrifying scenes and the panic stricken faces of the people who were dying of starvation, forced labour or torture without mercy upon the skinny body; they died without giving the last words to their kith and kin. How hurtful those victims were when they got beaten with canes, heads of hoes and stabbed with knives or swords before their last breath went out. How bitter they were when seeing their beloved children, wives, husbands, brothers or sisters were seized and tightly bound before being taken to mass grave!

While they were waiting for their turn to come and share the same tragic lot.

The method of massacre which the clique of Pol Pot criminals was carried upon the innocent people of Kampuchea cannot be described fully and clearly in words because the invention of this killing method was strangely cruel. So it is difficult for us to determine who they are for they have the human form but their hearts are demon's hearts they have got the Khmer face but their activities are purely reactionary. They wanted to transform Kampuchean people in to a group of persons without reason or a group who knew and understood nothing, who always bent their heads to carry out Angkar's orders blindly. They had educated and transformed young people and the adolescent whose hearts are pure, gentle and modest into odious executioners who dared to kill the innocent and even their own parents, relatives or friends.

They had burnt the market place, abolished monetary system, eliminated gooks of rules and principles of national culture, destroyed schools, hospitals, pagodas and beautiful monuments such as Angkor Wat temple which is the source of pure national pride and bears the genius knowledge and intelligence of our nation. They were trying hard to get rid of Khmer character and transform the soil and waters of Kampuchea into a sea of blood and tears which was deprive of culture infrastructure, civilisation and national character; became a desert of great destruction that overturned the Kampuchean society and drove it back on the stone age.'

Comments