42 St 19Z (off St 19), Phnom Penh, 1000, Cambodia

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Blue Lime

Great place to relax and explore Phnom Penh

by TripAdvisor Member alwaystravelling044

Blue Lime was an incedible find in a city a had been warned isn't very exciting, which I am now pleased to say is certainly not the case!

The rooms are spacious, have a blacony, large bathroom and ours even had two daybeds - one inside and one outside!

The service was brilliant, with staff making sure they attended to every need to ensure a pleasant stay. They arranged a tuk tuk driver for our time there and we felt we were charged the market price for the service.

We were on the top floor which is certainly an effort to get to as the stairs are steep and there is no elevator.

The pool area outside is very very inviting, especially after a day of sight seeing. You can enjoy a cheap cocktail underneath a gazebo, all the while snuggled up into a few comfy pillows and looking through the banana trees to the pool! There seemed to be a little wait for your food and cocktails, but with such a peaceful and relazing atmosphere, this should not be a problem!

We printed off the Khmer directions from the hotel's website and gave them to a tuk tuk driver who seemed to not know the whereabouts of the hotel. He asked another tuk tuk driver who tried to tell us there was a problem as it was closed. Of course, we were aware of such scams, so we said it was not, and to take us there.

Overall a wonderful choice for our stay in Phnom Penh.

A great boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Riever

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our 3 1/2 week trip and we certainly ended on a high note. The rooms are all finished in concrete which sounds a bit weird but it was really cool. The designer has based it on much more expensive hotels which means that the overall effect is high end but with a realistic price tag. Being rather "templed out" by now, we decided to give the palace et al a miss. We loved the pool area and were content to spend time lazing about. It's a bit tucked away and gave our tuk tuk driver a bit of a challenge to find but it was well worth it.

Nice but noisy

by TripAdvisor Member neobelle

This was a nice little boutique hotel but set right amongst the locals housing so quite noisy..most of the time! Rooms were very modern with lots of concrete!! but some really nice touches. Beds were very hard!! LIke... I took a mattress from the pool beds up to my room each night to try to sleep..not much joy in that either!!! Changed rooms the last night and the king size one was better. NO tea and coffee makingin room. No phone .Very noisy from neighbours, children, tuk tuk drivers and BARKING fighting dogs!! Hot water was very erratic some days you have it some you dont! Lovely pool area and nice eating area for breakfast. Simple continental breakfast but adequate and very nice. Staff were nice. Free internet tho sometimes erratic too!! it is Cambodia!!! a tuk tuk drive away from Sisowath Quay area with lots of restaurants but lots within walking distance. If you are a good sleeper this is a nice little place to be. 2-3 days in Phnom Penh is probabaly eough!

Oasis in Phnom Penh

by TripAdvisor Member Spinnaker47

The Blue Lime was suggested to us by sister hotel the Pavilion, which had no availability for our requested dates. It was an absolute delight, a real oasis in a hot, dusty, busy city, and very good value. The staff were without exception incredibly friendly, welcoming and helpful. The rooms were great (but glad I'd read reviews mentioning the all-concrete decor and furniture) but it's definitely worth paying extra for a superior double, with a corner balcony, and definitely ask for a room on the top or 2nd floors, to limit noise. (Some rooms are directly off the small reception and some disturbance would I am sure be inevitable. The pool area was lovely, with a small bar and breakfast/dining area outside. (Extra sunshades might be helpful as the morning sun can make some tables a bit exposed.) The hotel - particularly the ever-helpful Geraldine - can arrange tuk tuks or taxis or bus tickets but to be honest it's only a short walk to the river and main restaurant and bar area. One review talked of aggressive tuk tuk drivers loitering outside - yes, of course they tout for business but are not in the slightest aggressive and once you say no thanks will leave it at that. The hotel website, incidentally, has a page with a map and directions to the hotel in Khmer, which is worth printing off and carrying around.

I was a bit surprised the hotel did not offer to arrange airport pick-ups on arival. Instead, we were told to contact Bons Voyages by email, which did take a couple of emails to get a response, though in the event the pick-up worked fine. It would be a nice touch - and presumably not that difficult for them to do - for Blue Lime to offer to arrange that when the reservations are made. A minor quibble - overall, a delightful stay.

Great location, great pool, great deal

by TripAdvisor Member Stanophile

This hotel is located right in the middle of Phnom Penh and is walking distance from the palace, the national museum and the riverfront. Free internet in the lobby and an awesome pool area. Rooms are pretty big but minimalist - ours didn't have a closet. Nice balconies that lead to bathroom. Don't come here expecting a ton of amenities (i.e. no phones in the room, no laundry), but this is an inexpensive, convenient and comfortable base for exploring the city.

Opinion from an Asian Traveller

by TripAdvisor Member haven32

I was on Room # 3 on the second floor for 3 nights. I would say the first 2 nights, I had hardly a good night sleep because of the noise. Dogs were barking from a property next to the hotel. I check out the doors next door in the morning and there were like 4 to 5 dogs. I could hear them loud and clear from the room at nights when they start to bark. Whenever someone climb up the stairs or open & close their room doors, I am stirred from my sleep as I can hear them quite clearly even I am in my room. Therefore if you are a light sleeper, you are not going to get a good night sleep if you are in room # 3. I spoke to some guests who were on the same floor as us but they did not hear much of the dog barking as they were on the other end. The rooms are huge but they have high ceilings. Each room has a single unit airconditioning which is not powerful enough to cool the room. Luckily there is also a ceiling fan and I have to turn both on to cool the room in the afternoon. Breakfast are simple fare that consists of bread with jam and butter, coffee & tea, cut fruits and fruit juice. Nothing fanciful. The location of this hotel may be near to all the attractions but it proves a challenge to many tuk tuk drivers. You need to give them directions otherwise many of them will not find this place.

I must comment the great people working in this hotel. Geraldine and her team are wonderful and honestly they make my stay here tolerable. If the team from Blue Lime are reading this, may I suggest the following

1) Provide sandals in each room as you had cement flooring

2) Better sound insulation in Room # 3 from the property next door from the dogs.

3) I saw a lot of houseflies attracted to your kitchen table as your staff prepare fruit juices and slice fruits. It is quite a turn off and I avoided eating those fruits you send to my table.

Will definitely come back to Blue Lime! :)

by TripAdvisor Member jinxedshortie

This is an honest review from an Asian (Malaysian) traveler. I stayed in Blue Lime from 17th to 19th Jan 2009 with a big group of friends.

I must say, I was very skeptical at first to stay at Blue Lime because:

1. It was a brand new B&B back then when I booked (Oct 2008).
2. I was facing the hardest time booking 5 rooms for our group. At first, there was this confusion that the management was going to charge me via creditcard for the rooms out front. And even so, it required a copy of my passport, credit card and letter of authorization. What a fiasco! Thank goodness it was sorted out.

All I have to say now is, I''ve had a great time at Blue Lime and I will stay there again if I have the choice. Here are some of my comments:

1. Coming from dusty Siem Reap where we stayed in a nice B&B but which lacks a pool, Blue Lime was a welcoming oasis in the middle of the town. Granted its located in a small lane off a main road. But the minute we stepped in, its all peaceful and clean. Take a look at the pictures. What you see is really what you get. And yes, it is very pretty!

2. Geraldine (the manager of Blue Lime) greeted me by name and gave me a bouquet of flowers. It totally made up for all the credit card/passport fiasco. Its definitely a plus point when you are greeted by name!

3. Pauline (Blue Lime management person) helped us to book a van for excursions. Plus he helped to sort out the confusion over payment with the van driver. Thank you Pauline!

4. I have been surfing throughout tripadvisor and I noticed that Blue Lime management has been replying to all the bad comments and they have been making improvements. I do not see the other managements replying or making efforts to do so. Kudos to Blue Lime management for making that initiative!

5. The decoration is minimal, but tastefully done (albeit in cement). Its comfortable. Air-cond takes some time to cool like other reviewer said but its pretty cool after a while. Oh, aircond in room #6 leaked a li'l but I forgot to inform the management.

That said, I was staying in Room #6 and I didn't really notice the dogs / noise from the streets. However, I do agree with the suggestion of providing bed room slippers. The cement feels raw on the feet. Perhaps the management can take up on that. The only pet peeve that I have is this tuk tuk driver outside who talked our hired van driver to increase the price! Someone should have a talk with those tuk tuk drivers. Hassling and increasing price does not make a good impression on tourists. It would be a shame if Blue Lime loses customers or gets bad reviews due to the meddlesome tuk tuk drivers.

Amazing little place

by TripAdvisor Member anniejet

We've stayed at the Pavilion, The Kabiki, and now the newest hotel...Blue Lime. We stayed here for two weeks in January. The owners certainly know how to create a lovely oasis in a busy city. Considering the small lot (compared with the other 2 places) the outdoor pool and cafe area is amazing....lush with mature trees, beautiful pool and pleasant cafe. The decor is very cool....same furnishings but totally different feel. We had room 12, right below it is room 8...both have marvelous balconies overlooking the pool. Really liked the room darkening drapes. We stayed for 2 weeks which was a bit long for this place since we had to climb to the 4th floor to get to our room and there was no place to store clothing, so we used the day bed which made the room feel messy. Shorter stays wouldn't be a problem. The staff is well chosen and well trained, willing to accommodate us without being overbearing. Also, the entire place is immaculate. This is the least expensive of the 3 hotels and well worth the money.

The only negative....When we lounged on the bench at the far end of the pool we intermittently were treated to strong sewage odors which seemed to be coming from the other side of the wall...from the street or other properties. Sitting closer to the cafe area, near the hotel building remedied that. Oh, the dogs did bark some at night but they do that in my neighborhood at home. This IS the city and the neighbors are close.

We definitely would stay here again for a shorter period of time. The stairs did in my poor old knees...not a problem for younger people.

Fabulous Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member WellTravelled2110

While I wasn't crazy about Phnom Penh, this sublime hotel made up for that. The staff are friendly although their english isn't always great. The rooms are very simple - the concrete furniture sounds strange but it makes for a spotlessly clean room with no room anywhere for dust to accumulate, the matresses are firm with crisp white linens. Bathrooms are small but stylish. Breakfast is simple, healthy and served with a smile. The infinity-effect pool is what makes this place. It's in the courtyard behind the hotel, surrounded by cabanas and quite frankly wouldn't look out of place in St. Tropez. They serve food to the cabanas, the club sandwich is to die for. The vibe is low key and chilled and it is the best, hidden gem I've come accross in SE Asia, sister hotel to the Kabiki and the Pavillion, and at $57/night, I'd recommend it to anyone.
The only one quibble I had was that they have a slightly innocuous booking policy: when you email to enquire about a room and they email back and say they do etc, you further respond and say you'll take the room, and assume the room will be held for you. This unfortunately is not the case: they then email back and say they will hold the room if you agree to pay the cost of the room if you don't turn up, even for circumstances beyond your control. This I didn't have an issue with per se, the issue I had was after you email back saying you'll take the room, if you subsequently have no access to email, and turn up in the hotel as we did, you will find that the room wasn't held as you didn't see - and respond to - their email about the cancellation policy, and as the hotel is popular, chances are the room will be given away prior to your arrival. This happened to me, I assumed the room was being held and arrived in PP to find the hotel full. Luckily a couple was leaving on an evening flight and a late room became available, and the staff allowed us to use the pool etc during the day while waiting for the room but it was still annoying and would have been more annoying still had a room not become available. My advise would be to call ahead to save the to-ing and fro-ing on email or else pre-emt the cancellation email and agree to it in advance. The rooms with the views of the pool are better, they have big balconies. I didn't actually have one of these but wasn't put off. The hotel is down a small seemingly residential lane - you start to ask yourself where you're going to end up but bear with it, it really is a little gem, apart from the booking issue, I can't praise it highly enough. And they have 4 free internet terminals in the comfortable lobby area.

Comments