City Villa Hotel Apartment

No. 394-396, Monivong Blvd., Boeng Keng Kong I, Chamkar Morn Dist., Phnom Penh, 12302, Cambodia

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Phnom Penh

"Mickey""Mickey"

A SCENE INSIDE THE ROYAL PALACE GARDENSA SCENE INSIDE THE ROYAL PALACE GARDENS

colorful kioskcolorful kiosk

JumpingPLANXTY+CACHASEIRO, Phnom Penh, CambodiaJumpingPLANXTY+CACHASEIRO, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Mekong express bus

by piglet44

Does anyone know where the Mekong express bus from Siem Reap arrives when it gets to Phnom Penh?

by betska

It stops at the Mekong Express Office near the river front, at Sisowarth Quay.
Not far from Wat Phnom. Street number 102 (Phnom Penh Streets are all numbers)

by piglet44

thanks that is great ie walking distance from Indochine2 :-)

by betska

Yes - not far at all. Beware the tuk-tuk drivers will be waiting for the bus to arrive. They will want to drive you - and they will only ask for about $1. The reason is, that they want you to book them the following day to do Tuol Sleng, Killing Fields, Russian market etc.

Not such a bad thing - we hired a guy for a full day and he took us everywhere that we wanted to go, including the shooting range. They are generally pleasant, good natured blokes just trying to make a living.

by betska

Sorry - I meant to mention that the whole day cost us $15. Have the correct money or they might try on the "I don't have change" story.

by piglet44

how much is a reasonable price to see all that? we only have one day in PP

by piglet44

you anticipated my question Betska dear!

by betska

Glad to help, hope that you have a great trip.

You could always give them a little extra if you feel that they do a good job (ie. don't try to rush you etc). The guy that took me to the airport was so sweet I gave him $15 instead of $10.

where did you stay?

by betska

I stayed at the Royal Inn. About a 10 minute walk south of the Royal Palace on Sothearos Blvd. It's a fairly new place, I found it by VT member "mitexi"'s PP page. My double cost $32. More than I usually spend but after being on the road for a month it was nice to have a bit of luxury. Couldn't fault the place.

www.royal-inn.net/index.php

Travel Tips for Phnom Penh

Enjoy the Cambodian People

by Snipernurse

Cambodian people and culture are great. There is a big push for people to learn English, and for Cambodians knowing English is the difference between a crappy job and a good one. So they will love speaking English to you and chatting. A lot of Cambodian adults spend their days at work and nights in school being taught English, for which they pay a lot of their money for. They are very nice people and tons of fun to observe and learn about because of the difference in culture. Don't be alarmed when your waiter stands by your table the whole time with a big grin, he's just excited about getting to speak English to westerners! I enjoyed the Cambodian people and allow yourself to as well.

Outstanding Guide in Phnom Penh

by AlbuqRay

Actually I met Ms. Naram Kang through Ms. Nara. They are colleagues. When I returned to Cambodia in March 2010, Ms. Nara was busy and so was Ms. Naram (it is common during the dry season when most of the tourists come). Naram was so thoughtful that she convinced her friend, Ms. Leakkhena (an accountant), to guide me on the first weekend of my trip to the remote sites of Sambor Prei Kuk, Beng Mealea, and Koh Ker. Later Naram took me to such places as the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, National Museum, an evening riverboat ride on the Mekong, Phnom Tamao wildlife sanctuary, and Tonle Bati. She is very knowledgeable, speaks excellent English, and has extensive contacts since she is a busy, experienced guide. Besides that, she is a little crazy and fun to travel with! Her phone is +855-12-577-449 and her email is naramkang@yahoo.com. You will consider yourself very lucky to have had Naram as your guide. BTW, her nickname is "Mickey," like Mickey Kandol (mouse in Khmer, LOL).

Mannerism (or lack of)

by JohnnyDangerously

Cambodian people don't seem to have any manners. This can be observed daily. Of course this excludes the service people who are paid to be polite and nice (ie, hotel staff reception desk, waitress, etc) but other than that being polite in cambodia is the last thing on their minds. Often times when I wait in line to get serviced (ie, getting food), cambodian people would just cut in like it was nothing. One good example happened yesterday. While I was waiting in line at the grocery store, I was the next one in line and waiting for the guy ahead of me to pay. Well after the guy paid, this cambodian lady just walked up and cut in front of me and placed her basket of groceries on the counter and expected that her items be scanned and so she can pay. Luckily, the cashier girl ignored her and started processing my items. The lady had the nerve to glare at the cashier lady. I tell you these people just have no sense of any manners. Just look around , you don't see many (if any) of them being nice to each other unless they are in their small group or family.
I've been to many Asian countries in the world (thailand, vietnam, phillipines, china, HK, etc) and this by far is the most rudest place to live in. Imagine being stuck on a country full of pack of wild dogs. This is in effect cambodia.
At least the Thai with their somewhat fake smiles are more pleasant to each other, and even the people in HK are far more nicer to interact with.

Medication for gastrointestinal torture!

by thedouglas

Even though drugs (the medicinal kind) are easy to buy in Phnom Penh - I would never go without my own supply. Needing them, and getting to them can be 2 different things. I always take a supply of Lomotil, Immodium and Maxolon, with careful instructions. It is also a good idea to take some powdered electrolyte solution as well, as this can be sadly neglected if you are still trying to soldier on.

I had some poisoining that started in Siem Reap and carried on for days afterwards. I was directed to a pharmacy to buy some single dose drug in the end - which either fixed me or coincided with being fixed.

I have also had the experience of going to a pharmacy, having a quickie "consultation", and going away with many more drugs than I figured I really needed.

Wat Lang Ka

by richiecdisc

Situated just across the way from the Independence Monument on Sihanouk Boulevard, Wat Lang Ka has recently been renovated and the once forgotten religious compound has not only many reconstructed stupas, but also is alive with many young saffron robed monks waiting to practice their English on you. Well worth dropping in if you are checking out the neighboring Monument or on your way to or from Tuol Sleng Museum.

Comments