Phnom Penh Hotels

Our Members Say

• Willettsworld profile photo Willettsworld
  • Reviews: 8151

Mekong Palace Hotel: Along the riverside

This is a good option along the riverside area of the city with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, plus you're only a short walk away from the Royal Palace and National Museum. The staff were nice and friendly, in fact, I decided to stay here again after I came back from visiting Sihanoukville and before I moved on into Vietnam. Even though my room didn't have any windows, it was large with a TV, a/c, fridge, double bed, bedside table, desk, chair, wardrobe and an electric hot water shower. I paid $15 (December 2008).

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 2, 2010
Tip Photo

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1893

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Angkor Reach Guesthouse.: A decent little guesthouse.

Having had to leave the relatively nearby Walkabout (see seperate tip) due to them being fully booked, I had a wander to find an alternative place to lay my head. Being close to Lunar New Year, rooms in town were somewhat at a premium, and I was glad after a few "sorry, we are full" responses to find a room here. As it turned out, it was a good choice.

The place is very typical of Khmer guesthouses, spotless, slightly soulless but perfectly adequate as a place to sleep and wash. At a paltry $8US per night it is more than value for money. The staff are pleasant and the rooms well-equipped with en-suite bathroom (cold water only, all that is needed in that heat), air-con and a satellite TV with a good selection including BBC World News, CNN, TV5 Monde and Rai, amongst others.

Angkor Reach is well-situated for the 51st (Pasteur) Street nightlife and also convenient for the Central Market, which is also where you get buses to the South, so convenient all round.

A good bet for the budget slightly up from the backpacker dorm room market.

• Written March 2, 2010
Tip Photo

Guesthouse Room, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

• picek profile photo picek
  • Reviews: 926

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Narin II GH: good guesthouse to stay

We stayed a few nights in that guesthouse when we were in Phonm Penh. It took us some time walking and dealing with moto taxi driver who wanted to take commision from any GH where he went inside instead of us to ask for the price. Not being in PP first time we knew already you cannot trust these guys so we asked by ourself after he went away as he couldn't get us anywhere with 'his' price.
Narin 2 is near Orussey market in a good location - near city centre far enough you can walk. It's clean place, friendly service and you can have tasty foods in their restaurant in the first floor. In our room we had fan, TV and hot shower, and windows are quite large so you get decent light in the room (it's not like those wagon like places by the lake with many cockroaches and suspicious characters). We paid 7 USD per double bed a day, check out time is at 12.00. They have laundry and visa service and can do bus tickets for you. Also there's internet.

friendly staff, clean place and safe

• Written June 30, 2009

• irresolue profile photo irresolue
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Number Eleven Guesthouse: Best budget (budget!) accomm in Phnom Penh :)

Phnom Penh was the second to last place I visited in my South East Asian loop up Vietnam and through Laos and Cambodia. Everyone I had met doing the loop in the opposite direction told me I would need a maximum of two days in Phnom Penh because, I was told, it was a grubby, depressing, bland sort of place. I have to say that I disagree. I had a great two days in Phnom Penh and actually would have stayed longer if it weren't for a pending flight back to Australia.

Possibly the best thing about my stay in Phnom Penh was my guesthouse! I stayed at a place called No. 11 Happy Guesthouse, which was undergoing renovations while I was there. I must say - the rooms weren't flash but they were clean and I was paying only four USD a night!!

I had my own bathroom with (cold) water and a fan and the rooms locked, all the necessities. Where the rooms were a bit lacking, the common space more than made up for! Out the back there was a large, open, light and airy room with a bar, a pool table, numberous couches and a bookshelf full of pre-loved books, This was also were you were served a range of cheap delicious meals and equally cheap beer or spirits. This room opened up onto a balcony that sat perched above a lake. From here, you had the most amazing view of the sunset as it sunk low below the lake opposite.

Behind the guesthouse are a series of narrow alleyways filled with other guesthouses, travel agents and eateries all which make up a very cool backpacker vibe without being overly 'touristed-out'

Two must sees in Phnom Penh: s-21 and the Killing Fields. Both highly depressing but you cannot come to Phnom Penh without seeing them otherwise you can't possible understand why Phnom Penh today is anything but 'bland'

• Related to: Backpacking, Study Abroad, Budget Travel
  • Written February 6, 2009

The view

• Fakfak profile photo Fakfak
  • Reviews: 33

AKA Guesthouse: At the National Museum

Spotless rooms with hot water bathroom, TV, aircon and fridge. Central location overlooking the park in front of the National Museum. They only have twin rooms for normally 20$/night, but you can get a discount if you stay at least for two nights. I paid 18$, but I think you can get it cheaper, if you bargain.

Btw, AKA does not mean "also known as", it's the khmer name for some bird...

Not sure if the Email address is correct, also try lov_aka@yahoo.com

• Written February 1, 2009

AKA Guesthouse

• chicabonita profile photo chicabonita
  • Reviews: 468

Royal Highness Hotel: place to avoid

Originally we wanted to stay in another hotel. But after driving around about an hour our tuk tuk driver didn't find it and recommended us this place. I had a look at the room and it seamed okay, but I really didn't look carefully ... rookie mistake ... When checking in you have to pay for the night (USD 15 a dopple room) and you book from one day to the next.

In the bathroom the tiles were mould-infested and the towels and bed sheets didn't look really clean.

After one night we wanted to change hotel and had a look at two other ones. One of them wasn't really better and more expensive and the other one was too expensive. As we didn't had to much time in the mornging before our tuk tuk driver picked us up we stayed at this place to avoid the bustle ....

Of course we survived but I wouldn't go there again not to mention to recommend.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 5, 2008

• gregfranklin profile photo gregfranklin
  • Reviews: 3

Bright Lotus: Bright Lotus nice balcony views

We got a room with a not-so-private balcony (it was accessible by other guests, even though we paid extra for the room having the balcony). The view of the National Museum was fantastic, but we paid a bit more for the room than we would have liked $21/night. All in all, a good experience though -- vegged out on the cable tv there, and 10% off everything in the ground floor restaurant. No internet, but there's an internet cafe across the street.

balcony, great view, good restaurant, good drink prices, cable tv.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written February 14, 2008

• anoum profile photo anoum
  • Reviews: 107

Home Away from Home: Clean, cheap & safe

This backpacker's area is filled with accommodations so although we had walked past this guest house earlier, we didn't particularly notice it. Luckily we did then because the rate was unbelievably low!

US$2 a night for a room for two persons. This guest house has only 2 rooms, each has a double bed and a wall fan. Somehow, it seems only wall fans are available in Phnom Penh. The bathroom cum toilet behind the rooms is shared by guests of the two rooms.

When we were there on 10 Dec 2007, the rooms were a bit warm in the early evening but cooled down later. I advised them to install at least one more fan in each room.

The front of this place is a restaurant. We had our dinner there. Food was cooked by the mum. Quite nice. I also asked them to prepare a packed breakfast for me on the morning we travelled to Siem Reap. They were very accommodating despite the early hour.

Since the lake is just behind the place, there were mosquitoes at night when we slept but we kept them away with insect repellent.

Very clean. So much so that we dared to order cut fruits for consumption. Also quiet with very friendly owners. Very safe for female travellers especially those who travel alone because it is run by a mother-daughter team. One Singaporean woman who was staying in a hotel nearby was very interested when she heard how cheap our place was and said she would recommend her daughter and her female friends to stay at this guest house when they are in Phnom Penh for charity aid work.

• Related to: Work Abroad, Women's Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 8, 2008

The daughter (in blue shorts) and I

• anoum profile photo anoum
  • Reviews: 107

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lazy Fish: Don't be fooled by the idyllic scene!

We hired a tuk-tuk driver recommended by a staff of Sapaco Express. A willy fellow. First he took us to two hotels nearby although we said 'guesthouse' to him. We didn't want to pay the prices quoted by the hotels. So he finally took us to a place he knows - Lazy Fish. He said out of town and no AC but by a lake. It sounded wonderful!

Lazy Fish was at the end of the road through the backpacker's area in Phnom Penh. Built of wood and should look good but didn't. Later we found out that the original owner was a British. I didn't like the look of the place (shabby, floating rubbish) nor the proprietor (rude) but a travel mate liked the idea of a lodging by the lake. Price US$6 a night. I asked for an extra fan before I agreed.

Our room had only 3 beds & 3 mosquito nets. And...only one medium sized wall fan. Thank goodness that I got the extra fan which was a stand fan. Had to carry it from the restaurant into the room myself. No other furniture besides a chair. The bathroom was dark with a small yellow bulb and had mosquitoes even in the day! But at least it had a proper toilet. Or so we thought.

By evening, it was humming with mosquitoes (of course & so much for my friend's romantic idea). Luckily the other two travel mates and I were armed with insect repellents (lemon grass stick from Malaysia, 'minyak angin'). I even had the very useful Tiger Balm! We smothered ourselves with these at bed time. The mosquito nets were useless, too small and very dusty. Like no one ever used them. As an extra precaution, we slept with the lights on. My friends were bitten all over but I escaped. Maybe because I woke up a few times to reapply the insect repellents.

In the middle of the night, I went to the toilet and found it blocked. Water poured out! I found a stick conveniently placed behind the door & guessed this problem must be a regular occurrence. Later a travel mate had tummy ache and had to use the loo anyway.

We hastily checked out the next morning. So don't be fooled by the lovely pictures on this page!

Great view of lake.

• Written January 22, 2008

Restaurant area

• traceyspacey profile photo traceyspacey
  • Reviews: 460

Simons Guesthouse 11: Our favourite place to stay in Phnom Penh

We stayed here on 2 different occasions and loved it both times.

It is located on the lake and is the best accommodation option around here.

We had a large room with two double beds, fan, a/c, attached bathroom, T.V and a chandelier! The rooms are clean and very comfortable. Our windows overlooked lakeside. It does get busy so it is advisable to book ahead. The staff are really friendly.

We paid 16$ in June 2007

Comfortable and clean

• Written January 10, 2008

• yellowbell profile photo yellowbell
  • Reviews: 327

French villa: The Pavilion

This is a charming French villa with a swimming pool and garden. The lobby of the villa looks more like your own living room with it's white pillars, yellow walls and 1930's inspired mosaic tiles.

It was said to be owned by Queen Kossamack, King Sihanouk's mother, who liked to pray in the Botum Royal Pagoda.

We stayed in the triple room ($65) and I love it because I had my own room and a comfortable single bed. Triple room has a queen sized poster bed in the main room and single bed in an adjoining room.

It has a homey and yet exclusive appeal to it.

Best of all this hotel is a Child Safe Hotel, working against child prostitution.

15 meters away from National Museum. National Museum is just beside the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda so it saves you $2/tuktuk ride.

Room also comes with unlimited free internet access as they have around 3 PCs available for use of the 18-room French villa.

From the terrace, you can look out to the Botum Royal Pagoda and the swimming pool.

Breakfast in the bar by the pool consists of 2 pieces of croissant with either jam or butter and a freshly squeezed fruit.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Historical Travel
  • Written July 17, 2007

Lobby

• traceyspacey profile photo traceyspacey
  • Reviews: 460

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Simons GuestHouse 1: Not worth $10

Simons Guesthouse 11 was full, so after looking at various places. Ended up here. The room had 2 single beds, no natural light and the walls were damp and mouldy. We both woke up itching. On the plus side we had air con and a fan. We were told that the room was $10, but we were only charged $5. The room is not worth $10, when you can get far better value for your money at Simon's Guesthouse 11. We stayed one night and checked into Simons 11.

There are none

• Written June 24, 2007

• Playfair profile photo Playfair
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pickled Parrot (Tonle Sap Guest House): Best mid range guest house in Phnom Penh

Mid range - roughly $25.00 a night. Above the pickled parrot pub. Bathrooms great - rooms clean - above a 24 hour bar but not noisy. On a quiet street (104) near the port in Phnom Penh. The food is excellent. 9 ball pool table.

Australian run - excellent friendly staff. Wifi as well. Dirt biker friendly. Good mixing place for Khmer, Westerner, male female.

• Related to: Work Abroad, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written May 3, 2007

• shintarojon profile photo shintarojon
  • Reviews: 859

The King Guest House: blood-sucker @ room 421

(last date stayed : Dec. 26, 2004)

Single Room with Shower & Toilet

Room 421 (Big Room)

Room rate / night - 3 US $

I decided to transfer to another guest house 'coz I was not able to sleep well!

Why?? Mosquitoes did'nt stop sucking my precious royal blood!!!

My room was in the 4th floor where the local staff wash clothes.

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 25, 2006

Room 421

• cancian profile photo cancian
  • Reviews: 191

No Name: Cheap Hotel

I don t know the name but we found this room near the river side. Over a bar on corner of the road to National Museum. In front of FCCNo Name

Very near the Museum and Royal Palace.
River side is the best location for eat and drink

• Written May 21, 2006