Mittapheap

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 43% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Phnom Penh

Looking out from the Silver PagodaLooking out from the Silver Pagoda

TYPICAL MAILINH LONG DISTANT BUS..TYPICAL MAILINH LONG DISTANT BUS..

PagodaPagoda

Photo, S21 Genocide Musem, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.Photo, S21 Genocide Musem, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Renting a bike in phnom penh

by fital69

Is it possible? how? where to find?
It will for 2 days. I prefer this rather than hiring any public transport, this way is more exciting to me.

Really appreciate your assistance. :)

by Fluffy_bunny

Bicycle or Motorbike? If you mean bicycle, it's not a good idea. There are no real road rules in PP, and you are almost certain to be run over by a motorcycle or tuk-tuk at some point. If you mean motorcycle/scooter, there are plenty of places that do rentals.

I lived in PP for some time and it takes a while to get used to the driving. Heck even crossing the road is toying with your life. While i was living there (9 months), i had 2 coworkers die in road accidents. The WHO publishes a Global Status Report on Road Safety and Cambodia ranks as one of the most dangerous countries in the world to drive (statistically).

by AlbuqRay

I have to second the above response. At the PIO schools where I volunteered, there were maybe 15 teachers. Just in the past year, one had been seriously injured on her motorbike when hit by car. The other had had her bicycle damaged when hit by a motorcycle and was lucky to only have minor injuries. For me it was an adventure each time I had to cross the street, and I was only walking.

by RobSydney

And, in addition to the above, you can rent a taxi for the day for around $15

by fital69

i heard renting a motorcycle/bike will have a risk of being stop by the police which normally end up with unreasonable bribe.
is that true only Cambodia license holder can ride it?
i was planning to go from my hotel (near independent monument) to killing field, then stop at Russian market before final stop at s21 by bike.
i'm more comfortable using bike when traveling to this bike-immerse country.

by the way whole day taxi isn't expensive huh? need to consider this for the next day. do we need to cover for toll and petrol out of that $15 rental?

by RobSydney

No the $15 covers all- its all negotiation

Travel Tips for Phnom Penh

Border Crossing

by easterntrekker

The guide on board our bus from Saigon was great and spoke some English .
He took care of our Visa at the border.The cost was $25.00. I was surprised we didn't even need a picture.
As soon as we got on the bus he collected everyones Passport and $25.00. When we reached the Vietnam border we got off the bus and went through customs .The same thing on the Cambodian side.
Very easy .

Head and Feet

by Unknownsu

In Khmer culture, a persons head is believed to contain the person’s soul therefore making it taboo to touch or point your feet at it. It is also considered to be extremely disrespectful to point or sleep with your feet pointing at a person, as the feet are the lowest part of the body and are considered to be impure.

Exotic Food

by easterntrekker

Some of the local food looked pretty exotic to my Western eyes. I saw what looked like a whole pigling on a barbecue and along with some other varieties I couldn't make out .Turned out what I was seeing was a dog and a rat . This is quite normal food here and I guess its whatever you are used to but its too out there for my taste.,so i didn't try it .( at least I don't think I did ) Best for me to stick with a menu I can read.

bring the right shoes and a hat with you

by Penelope4

It is hot in Cambodia. When visiting Siem Reap, wear open, hiking shoes so you can visit as much as you can.

You will be tempted to buy a hat if you don't bring one with you. If you ride in motorcycles and you don't like to ruin your hairdo, wear, by all means, a hat.

Photos inside the Royal Palace

by SirRichard

If you wanna take photos inside the Royal palace area, you have to pay an extra fee. I was tired of paying extras, so I decided not to pay. Thus, I left my digital camera at a cloakroom at the entrance (free).
BUT I had my reflex camera in the rucksack, so once inside I dared to take it out and make some pics (2 or 3 only). None seemed to notice or ask me for the camera fee ticket, so I made the pics "for free" :-)

Comments