92 Rukhak Vithei Daun Penh, Sangkat Wat Phnom, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Expedia.com Booking.com Asiatravel.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Raffles Hotel Le Royal

Raffles Hotel Le Royal is the premier hotel in Phnom Penh.

The hotel was first established in 1929 and enjoyed guests such as writers, journalists, royalty and many dignitaries.

The main building has been beautifully restored and refurbished to its original style and the 170 guest rooms, suites and apartments have been beautifully decorated with Cambodian style furnishings and art.

The rooms are spread over three separate interconnecting low-rise wings, set around the garden courtyard and swimming pools.

Raffles Hotel Le Royal has five restaurants and bars, ranging from traditional French and Khmer cuisine to the popular Elephant Bar, the cocktails here are amazing and 2 for 1 during happy hour.

• ZENDER's Profile Photo

Raffles Hotel Le Royal - An Outpost Remembered

The next time I come back to Phnom Penh, I would consider staying here. It is so peaceful and quiet in the midst of the cacophony of noise that characterised Phnom Penh, ranging from the tuk-tuks, mo-peds and so on.

Directions: It is situated off a major throughfare, Monivong Boulevard and very near one of the major attractions of the capital city - the Wat Phnom. The US Embassy is within walking distance.

• Raffles Hotel Le Royal

DO NOT USE YOUR CREDIT CARD HERE - 2 DAYS AFTER PAYING MY BILL SOME FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS WENT THROUGH ON MY CARD IN PARIS, AND IT CAN ONLY HAVE BEEN STAFF MEMBERS FROM THIS HOTEL WHO WERE RESPONSIBLE, I DIDN'T USE IT ANYWHERE ELSE. A nice hotel, traditional colonial style, two swimming pools, good breakfast, excellent room service food, almost mosquito-free thanks to anti-mosquito measures they take. I got a rate of $110 plus 10% tax on their website. I didn't find a cheaper one elsewhere. I would NOT stay here again (because of the credit card fraud).

Unique Quality: My complaints would be 1) $20 for in-room wireless internet 8 hours (extortionate) 2) Laundry and minibar outrageously expensive 3) Not telling you in advance about the additional taxes (for the record they are 10% on any price they quote) 4) taxi drivers try to offer taking you to places privately (ie trying to cut out the hotel) - they all did it.

• kelnsha's Profile Photo

Classic colonial-era hotel, Raffles Hotel Le Roya

I did not stay here but paid a visit outside and took some photographs.

Reopened for business as a Raffles property in 1997 and is Phnom Penh's finest hotel with a heritage to match its comfort and class. In fact, it ranks as one of Asia's grand old palaces, in the illustrious company of the Oriental in Bangkok and the Strand in Yangon.

I will only recommend this hotel if you have cash to burn...

Unique Quality: The hotel has a swimming pool, a gym, a spa, a business centre, bars and restaurants with lavish food and drink.

Between 1970 and 1975, most journalists working in Phnom Penh stayed here and part of the film, The Killing Fileds was set in the hotel (though filmed in Hua Hin, Thailand).

Directions: off Monivong Boulevard Sangkat Wat Phnom, Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

A Superb Hotel

I second what Tina-Perth and others have written about the Raffles LeRoyal Hotel. Landmark rooms are small but nicely furnished and very comfortable.

The gourmet French restaurant serves, well, a gourmet repast. Expensive by IndoChinese standards but well worth the cost. The less formal eatery -- with both indoor and outside seating -- serves an elaborate breakfast and decent meals all other times of day. (I killed a mosquito on my outdoors table one evening, the only such beastie I encountered in Cambodia.)

LeRoyal figures in many books about the 1975 Khmer Rouge take-over. Unlike other "historical hotels" -- the Rex in Saigon (HCMC), for example -- LeRoyal is worth a stay because of its location, its fine architecture, and its amenities.

Unique Quality: Nice grounds, nice pool, good restaurants, many amenities.

One caveat: A check-out clerk asked me if I wanted the hotel's car to take me to the airport. I asked how much. He said -- I thought -- fifteen dollars, added to my hotel bill. Since a junky taxi on the way in had cost $10, that seemed reasonable. I didn't check my bill till I was flying to Siem Reap. The ride wasn't "fifteen," but 50 -- US$50. I should have suspected something. The "car" was an eight-passenger BMW limousine, the most luxurious car I've ever been in. (The ultimate joke may be on the hotel, however. BMW, like Mercedes and most European cars, has a terrible repair record.)

Directions: Within a five-minute walk of the Wat Phnom pagoda and temple, one of Phnom Penh's major attractions.

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Colonial style hotel

The Raffles Le Royal was built in 1929, then refurbished and reopened in 1997. It is centrally located to the main attractions of Phnom Penh. It is only about 20 minutes' drive from Pochentong Airport.

Our stay at the Raffles Le Royal was comfortable enough. We stayed in a Landmark Suite which was a little small, but pleasant.

Our check-in was the best ever! We arrived to be welcomed and seated in the grand lobby, given fresh, cool towels and a drink. They asked for our reservation confirmation and check-in was completed while we sat sipping our cocktails and listening to the string quartet.

Service was very good, although they had a lot of problems getting our breakfasts right. We could sit on our balcony overlooking the pool to eat our meals and for relaxing drinks.

The room service food was good, but not 5 star and the choice was not great. If there are any guests in adjoining rooms it can be quite noisy.

After checking every site under the sun to make a booking with, we found the best rate on the Raffles Le Royal site (listed below).

Unique Quality: There is a gym, spa, massage and beauty salon, 28m pool and children's pool, shops and a great bar, the Elephant Bar which I can highly recommend. Bar manager Samnang makes the best Cosmopolitans! Please refer to my nightlife tips for further information on the Elephant Bar.

We had two massages each and I must admit, I wasn't really happy with either of mine and Steve was satisfied, but didn't think it was one of the best massages he's had.

Directions: off Monivong Boulevard, Sangkat Wat Phnom,

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo

Colonial opulence

We stayed 3 nights at Le royal. Initially greeted by a concierge you are sept into the lobby feeling like royalty. The entrance lobby is palatial, huge chandeliers and luxurious chaise longe immediately transport you back to the turn of the 1900's. Check in was swift and comfortable and we were soon on our way to our room. I felt that this was a little tired and jaded not to mention small and crammed with furniture. A disappointment after the expectation building grand entrance. The bathroom was an even bigger disappointment, positively tiny with ancient fittings and decor. The tiles around the bath and basin were cracked in places.
    The hotel has a decent sized swimming pool and a health club which appeared to charge exorbitant prices. Apparently royalty and pop stars stay at the hotel regularly - I guess they can afford to use these facilities as I couldn't!.
    Breakfast was included in our package and was quite a relaxed affair although the buffet was a little limited in choice. Perfectly adequate though.

Unique Quality: You stay here for the reputation and the ambiance. Better value can surely be obtained elsewhere.
    The Elephant Bar is a Phnom Penh institution but as it is open to non residents this is not really a reason to stay here.
    The concierge was outstanding and gave great help and advice. A tremendous asset to the hotel.

More about Raffles Hotel Le Royal

Luxury, History

by zuhur about Raffles Hotel Le Royal Phnom Penh

This hotel goes back to the colonial period. It was where journalists wrote & finally evacuated in the war as Hotel Le Phnom Penh. Now a Raffles, very elegant, fantastic pool, morning & evening buffets; a piano bar, business office, etc.

Seems to have a lively crowd at the Elephant Bar. I loved the grounds, and the Egyptian-like flora and the double pool - one side would be good for kids - huge but shallow. swam laps on the other side.

I may have gotten a reduced rate - if it is normally $100 (which is what I was quoted) it is worth it.

Raffles Hotel Le Royal, French-era buildingRaffles Hotel Le Royal, French-era building

Hotel around Ministry of Economic and Finance Office

by richmondaldien

Dear VTers,

I've planned to visit PP around 19 this month (Aug) for 3 days.
and yes, unfortunately This is not a holiday travel.

I have looked for the office address and found at Street #92 NÂș60.
Is there any hotel around there? or if not, maybe another hotel which have good access to the office and also to the central market.(at any price)

And please information on gifts which features PP or cambodia worth to bring home.

Thanks in advance.....
RICKY (IDN)
richmondaldien@spymac.com

by Tina-Perth

Hi Ricky,

I just checked, and Street 92 is Monivong Boulevard. I cannot find any street numbers on my map. The Raffles Hotel Le Royal is within walking distance of the Central Market, The Tonle Sap River, Wat Phnom and we even walked to the Royal Palace. The Sunway Hotel is close by there too. If you're interested about the Raffles, check my tip for it, special deals for the Journey through Cambodia should be available until the end of August: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/9045f/123984/3/

For a special souvenir from PP, I recommend buying it from the National Museum, we bought a beautiful, big head of King Jayavarman for US$35. Prices were very good there.

by pmarshuk

Hi
Sorry to disagre with you Tina - but I think Street 92 is the one that runs between Wat Phnom and Monivong, but it is a relatively short road. he best hotel is Phnom Penh is the Raffles Le royal and that is also on the same street. If you want somewhere a bit cheaper the Sunway is also nearby.
The central market is also only a few blocks away.

by batgirl1001

You can try staying at the Pacific Hotel. Good quality rooms with aircon and tv and reasonable prices at US$35 per night. The hotel has a website for internet bookings.

Pacific Hotel is about 5 mins walk to the central market but please ask for a room away from Moningvong Street. The traffic starts as early as 5am in the morning and it can be quite noisy with all the motos and cars horning away.

by Renee100

Hi Sorry for the intrusion, If you are out and about in pp soon please keep a look out for my brother EDDY GALLAGHER. He is 40, slim biuld, very short blond hair and not heard from him for over a month. please tell him to contact his sister. Thank you.

RE: RE: Hotel around Ministry of Economic and Finance Office

by richmondaldien

Thanks all for the Information, I move my arrival date to 29/8 and
I have booked the Sunway Hotel since its very close to the Department. and they offer a city guide...

and for renee may be more usefull if you could attach your brother's picture in your page or send me one... richmondaldien@spymac.com

thank you all.