92 Rukhak Vithei Daun Penh, Sangkat Wat Phnom, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Arts and Culture Business Travel Spa and Resort
See Amenities
Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

by written on March 19, 2009

Raffles Hotel Le Royal is the premier hotel in Phnom Penh.

The hotel was first established in 1929 and enjoyed guests such as writers, journalists, royalty and many dignitaries.

The main building has been beautifully restored and refurbished to its original style and the 170 guest rooms, suites and apartments have been beautifully decorated with Cambodian style furnishings and art.

The rooms are spread over three separate interconnecting low-rise wings, set around the garden courtyard and swimming pools.

Raffles Hotel Le Royal has five restaurants and bars, ranging from traditional French and Khmer cuisine to the popular Elephant Bar, the cocktails here are amazing and 2 for 1 during happy hour.

ZENDER's Profile Photo

Raffles Hotel Le Royal - An Outpost Remembered

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 9, 2007

The next time I come back to Phnom Penh, I would consider staying here. It is so peaceful and quiet in the midst of the cacophony of noise that characterised Phnom Penh, ranging from the tuk-tuks, mo-peds and so on.

Directions: It is situated off a major throughfare, Monivong Boulevard and very near one of the major attractions of the capital city - the Wat Phnom. The US Embassy is within walking distance.

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 14, 2006

DO NOT USE YOUR CREDIT CARD HERE - 2 DAYS AFTER PAYING MY BILL SOME FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS WENT THROUGH ON MY CARD IN PARIS, AND IT CAN ONLY HAVE BEEN STAFF MEMBERS FROM THIS HOTEL WHO WERE RESPONSIBLE, I DIDN'T USE IT ANYWHERE ELSE. A nice hotel, traditional colonial style, two swimming pools, good breakfast, excellent room service food, almost mosquito-free thanks to anti-mosquito measures they take. I got a rate of $110 plus 10% tax on their website. I didn't find a cheaper one elsewhere. I would NOT stay here again (because of the credit card fraud).

Unique Quality: My complaints would be 1) $20 for in-room wireless internet 8 hours (extortionate) 2) Laundry and minibar outrageously expensive 3) Not telling you in advance about the additional taxes (for the record they are 10% on any price they quote) 4) taxi drivers try to offer taking you to places privately (ie trying to cut out the hotel) - they all did it.

kelnsha's Profile Photo

Classic colonial-era hotel, Raffles Hotel Le Roya

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 25, 2006

I did not stay here but paid a visit outside and took some photographs.

Reopened for business as a Raffles property in 1997 and is Phnom Penh's finest hotel with a heritage to match its comfort and class. In fact, it ranks as one of Asia's grand old palaces, in the illustrious company of the Oriental in Bangkok and the Strand in Yangon.

I will only recommend this hotel if you have cash to burn...

Unique Quality: The hotel has a swimming pool, a gym, a spa, a business centre, bars and restaurants with lavish food and drink.

Between 1970 and 1975, most journalists working in Phnom Penh stayed here and part of the film, The Killing Fileds was set in the hotel (though filmed in Hua Hin, Thailand).

Directions: off Monivong Boulevard Sangkat Wat Phnom, Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia

NedHopkins's Profile Photo

A Superb Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 4, 2006

I second what Tina-Perth and others have written about the Raffles LeRoyal Hotel. Landmark rooms are small but nicely furnished and very comfortable.

The gourmet French restaurant serves, well, a gourmet repast. Expensive by IndoChinese standards but well worth the cost. The less formal eatery -- with both indoor and outside seating -- serves an elaborate breakfast and decent meals all other times of day. (I killed a mosquito on my outdoors table one evening, the only such beastie I encountered in Cambodia.)

LeRoyal figures in many books about the 1975 Khmer Rouge take-over. Unlike other "historical hotels" -- the Rex in Saigon (HCMC), for example -- LeRoyal is worth a stay because of its location, its fine architecture, and its amenities.

Unique Quality: Nice grounds, nice pool, good restaurants, many amenities.

One caveat: A check-out clerk asked me if I wanted the hotel's car to take me to the airport. I asked how much. He said -- I thought -- fifteen dollars, added to my hotel bill. Since a junky taxi on the way in had cost $10, that seemed reasonable. I didn't check my bill till I was flying to Siem Reap. The ride wasn't "fifteen," but 50 -- US$50. I should have suspected something. The "car" was an eight-passenger BMW limousine, the most luxurious car I've ever been in. (The ultimate joke may be on the hotel, however. BMW, like Mercedes and most European cars, has a terrible repair record.)

Directions: Within a five-minute walk of the Wat Phnom pagoda and temple, one of Phnom Penh's major attractions.

Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Colonial style hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 20, 2005

The Raffles Le Royal was built in 1929, then refurbished and reopened in 1997. It is centrally located to the main attractions of Phnom Penh. It is only about 20 minutes' drive from Pochentong Airport.

Our stay at the Raffles Le Royal was comfortable enough. We stayed in a Landmark Suite which was a little small, but pleasant.

Our check-in was the best ever! We arrived to be welcomed and seated in the grand lobby, given fresh, cool towels and a drink. They asked for our reservation confirmation and check-in was completed while we sat sipping our cocktails and listening to the string quartet.

Service was very good, although they had a lot of problems getting our breakfasts right. We could sit on our balcony overlooking the pool to eat our meals and for relaxing drinks.

The room service food was good, but not 5 star and the choice was not great. If there are any guests in adjoining rooms it can be quite noisy.

After checking every site under the sun to make a booking with, we found the best rate on the Raffles Le Royal site (listed below).

Unique Quality: There is a gym, spa, massage and beauty salon, 28m pool and children's pool, shops and a great bar, the Elephant Bar which I can highly recommend. Bar manager Samnang makes the best Cosmopolitans! Please refer to my nightlife tips for further information on the Elephant Bar.

We had two massages each and I must admit, I wasn't really happy with either of mine and Steve was satisfied, but didn't think it was one of the best massages he's had.

Directions: off Monivong Boulevard, Sangkat Wat Phnom,

jmmorgan's Profile Photo

Colonial opulence

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 13, 2004

We stayed 3 nights at Le royal. Initially greeted by a concierge you are sept into the lobby feeling like royalty. The entrance lobby is palatial, huge chandeliers and luxurious chaise longe immediately transport you back to the turn of the 1900's. Check in was swift and comfortable and we were soon on our way to our room. I felt that this was a little tired and jaded not to mention small and crammed with furniture. A disappointment after the expectation building grand entrance. The bathroom was an even bigger disappointment, positively tiny with ancient fittings and decor. The tiles around the bath and basin were cracked in places.
The hotel has a decent sized swimming pool and a health club which appeared to charge exorbitant prices. Apparently royalty and pop stars stay at the hotel regularly - I guess they can afford to use these facilities as I couldn't!.
Breakfast was included in our package and was quite a relaxed affair although the buffet was a little limited in choice. Perfectly adequate though.

Unique Quality: You stay here for the reputation and the ambiance. Better value can surely be obtained elsewhere.
The Elephant Bar is a Phnom Penh institution but as it is open to non residents this is not really a reason to stay here.
The concierge was outstanding and gave great help and advice. A tremendous asset to the hotel.

Nearby Raffles Hotel Le Royal

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Phnom Penh Travel Forum

Need advice about Phnom Penh, Cambodia? Visit the Travel Forum for Phnom Penh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Phnom Penh hotel reviews

Silver Pagoda
Great Khmer BBQ
ROYAL PALACE, LOOK UP AND SEE BUDDHA
Things to Do
THE FINEST CAMBODIAN ARCHITECTURE(NATIONAL MUSEUM)
SMOKIN' POT--------INTERESTING
THE HORROR AT CHOEUNG EK
The Return of the Prasat Chen Sculptures
Things to Do
Running the gauntlet of tuk tuk drivers!