Royal Residence Phnom Penh

Royal Residence Phnom Penh
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

More about Phnom Penh

I Told You That She Is CrazyI Told You That She Is Crazy

TWO MONKS HAVING A REST IN THE HEAT OF DAYTWO MONKS HAVING A REST IN THE HEAT OF DAY

boardboard

National Monument, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.National Monument, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

One day in Phnom Penh

by KRPSingh

Hi,

Will be in Phnom Penh in July end with a group of 6. Reaching by bus from Ho Chi Min City, late evening. Planning to take a bus/car to Siem Reap next day late evening. We will have almost a full day for PP sight seeing. Can we see Wat Phnom, Silver Pagoda, Independence monument, Tuol Sleng (or National) museum, Royal palace & Tonle Sap before we leave for Siem Reap in a day? Any suggestion if anything to be skipped?

Thanks.

by cachaseiro

if you hurry then you should be able to see most of the things you mention except for tonle sap.
tonle sap is easier to visit when you are in siem reap.

by Durfun

Klaus is right. However, I managed to see all the sights in a day at as leisurely pace!!

Hire a cycle ricksaw to get about, and walk around the Independence monument intersection beyond the Silver pagoda.

by Lunaina

we also were able to visit it all in one day at a nice speed... you do not need to rush!

by earthflyer

Why the rush, chill out and enjoy Phnom Penh for another day.

by IreneMcKay

Hi there,

When we visited Phnom Penh for the day, we hired a car with a driver quite reasonably through our hotel. We were able to see the sights you mentioned plus the Russian Market (there are several markets worth a look), the Art Museum (interesting and beautiful building) and the Foreign Correspondants Club ( good for a drink or meal, views over river, no need to be a member quite famous.)

Get yourself some form of transport e.g car with driver for day, you will be fine.

Travel Tips for Phnom Penh

Cambodian Riel / ATM's

by ValbyDK

Most places you can use both USD and Cambodian Riel, so there is no need to change your entire amount of USD into Riel. Just be sure you have enough small USD notes.

The exchange rate was (November 2008) around 4000 Riel for 1 USD and everybody around the city seemed to know the rate.

I changed 25USD to Riel when I arrived in Phnom Penh, and it was too much in the local currency. 25USD was about 5-10cm of Riel notes – and impossible to close the wallet… First time I ever experienced this problem…

I used the ATM once at my hotel (Phnom Penh Hotel) and it gave me USD instead of Riel. I don’t know if it is common for all ATM’s in Phnom Penh?

Breakfast by the Tonle Sap

by pmarshuk

Cambodians do a lot of their living outdoors. Here are a couple of women who arrived on the esplanade and outside my hotel room each morning and began cooking breakfast. After a while of cooking and selling they moved on to another spot by the river.

People of Cambodia

by Cathy&Gary

Cambodia is bordered to the North by Thailand and Laos, to the East and the South by Vietnam and to the South and the West by the Gulf of Thailand.

Approx. population is 14,000,000 Million
Language Khmer, secondary languages: English and French
Religion 95% Buddhist with the balance being Muslim, Christian and animist.

About 90-95 percent of the people are Khmer ethnic. The remaining 5-10 percent include Chinese-Khmers, Khmer Islam or Chams, ethnic hill-tribe people, known as the Khmer Loeu and Vietnamese.

Approximately 10 percent of the population lives in Phnom Penh, the capital, making Cambodia largely a country of rural dwellers, farmers and artisans.

The Khmers would have to be one of the friendliest people on this planet, everyone we have met are always happy, willing to share and loved talking to us.

Tampons

by Tina-Perth

Ladies who visit Cambodia and use tampons should be sure to pack extra supplies just in case. I tried to buy tampons as a precautionary measure in case I didn't have enough and they don't even know what they are in Cambodia.

I went to half a dozen shops including chemists (if you could call them that) and they had no idea what I was talking about, even when I showed them one. After showing one girl a tampon, she tried to sell me condoms. They only use sanitary pads there.

I did not see any better quality shampoo in their hairdressing shops than Sunsilk either, so be sure you have plenty of whatever you need before you go.

Independence Monument

by richiecdisc

The Independence Monument is also referred to as the Victory Monument and is dedicated to those Cambodians killed during the war though it unfortunately does not acknowledge those murdered by the Khmer Rouge. The 1958 structure adds a modern flair to what may become a more upscale area of town down the road. It’s easily found at the corner of Norodom and Sihanouk Boulevards.

Comments