Sharaton Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Phnom Penh

upstairs common balconyupstairs common balcony

Miscellaneous Khmer EntreesMiscellaneous Khmer Entrees

exchange officeexchange office

Lotus blanc resaurant in Pnom Penh.Lotus blanc resaurant in Pnom Penh.

Phnom Penh to Sihanouk Ville

by scotontour

I am looking to take a short break to Cambodia next week for a second visit
this time I want to stay in PP on day of arrival and day of departure then travel down to Sihanouk Ville for 3nts -
now can you experts advise on the following;
*where is best location to stay in Sihanouk Ville
*basic hotel with one essential requirement must be clean and tidy with fresh linen and towels & private shower in PP & Sihanouk Ville
*am I better to take taxi than bus to Sihanouk Ville and how long will it take?
*is Sihanouk Ville more or less expensive than PP

Thank you in advance from a traveller who does not go anywhere without consulting VT members ;)

by Eggboy

Hotel in Phnom Penh I recommend is Dara Reangsey, see my PP page with a pic of the owner.

Best to get the Paramount Bus from PP to Sihanoukville rather than Taxi. Should be less than $10 US per pax.

Cannot recommend a hotel in S'ville as I have not stayed there.

Eggboy

by betska

You don't mention your budget!
I have just stayed at 2 nice places in Phnom Penh. Havn't done any tips yet. The first place was Simons II Guesthouse, in the Boeng Kak (lake) area. Probably the nicest place in the area, Aircon, cable TV and very clean. Double room was US$18, I was charged $16 as I was on my own. Much nicer than the rooms built on wooden platforms over the lake (although worth visiting one of them for an afternoon beer).
The 2nd place was just south of the waterfront area "The Royal Inn", a tip I picked up from VT member "mitexi"'s PP page. It was lovely, new & clean. I booked a room for $28, but this room had no windows, so I upgraded to a better room for $32. This hotel was not far south of the Independance Monument, on Samdech Sotheros Blvd, a 5 min. tuk-tuk ride from the bars & resturants along the river.

by betska

Oops, forgot to reply re Sihanoukville.
I stayed at Markara Guesthouse, on Ochheuteal Beach. A little way south of the main area, but cheap, clean, opposite the beach & had a nice resturant, especially for breakfast. Cost was US$13 with Aircon & fan, no TV. However, I really did enjoy Sihanoukvile, and if I return, I would stay right up the Serendipity end of the beach, there are many little bungalows there with hammocks on the verandas etc, I have the website of one of them, will have a dig around & give it to you soon.
Can't help you with cost of taxi PP to S'Ville, but the bus that I took was "Paramount Angkor Express" cost $5 and took 5 hours from PP.
Hope this helps. I really enjoyed sunsets on the beach - 50 cent beers, and good, fresh seafood, which was cheap. Promise tips soon!

by scotontour

Thank you - contacted Royal Inn as per your recommendation
they are full for the night i need and i would pay upto around $50

by betska

Well, if you are OK with staying by the lake, try Simons II. It is cheap but really, very nice. Even a proper shower in the bath with a shower curtain! (After a month of wet bathrooms this can be quite an exciting thing to some!)
And having read up on what is happening to the lake (developers are filling it in) the days of having a cold beer while watching the sun set over the lake may be numbered.
Boeng Kak is also full happy hour bars, good cheap resturants and many internet & travel agents. My bus trip to Shinoukville included pick-up from Boeng Kak.

Travel Tips for Phnom Penh

Suggested Itinerary

by yellowbell

The suggested itinerary is based on the proximity of the tourist spots to each other:

Day 1 Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda (in one compound)
Sisowath Quay for lunch
National Museum

Day 2 Wat Phnom
Central Market

Day 3 Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Russian Market

The Fruit Shake Girl of Phnom Penh

by richiecdisc

At any rate, we went back to this same stand every day of our stay in Phnom Penh, sometimes twice. The young girl that manned it got the biggest kick out of us as we ordered the same thing every time, once even having two consecutive portions each. We knew it was a bit over indulgent but it was cheap by western standards and we figured we might not ever find this elusive nectar again. She just smiled and laughed. I tried to capture her infectious smile on film but could never mange to get her to both look at the camera and smile. It was one or the other. I chose the smile much like we chose her stand. She, like what she served, was hard to resist. I know if I am ever back in Phnom Penh, the first thing I will look for is that smile. The first taste I hope to find will be that fruit shake.

money for Buddhas

by richiecdisc

It’s a very common sight to see Buddha’s in local temples with money donations in plain view, something Westerns might find odd in such a poverty stricken country. But as is the case in most cultures, robbing religion is not common even in a country as politically corrupt as Cambodia. Still, the Khmer Rouge had little regard for religious architecture during their reign of terror.

Packing List

by mikinho

Take your own antibiotics with you. There are plenty of pharmacy, and they have plenty of medecine in it, but they won't give you the box - just the meds piece by piece. You won't be sure of what it is, nor what is the expiracy day. I was lucky, though, as I got the right ones for a bad cold I contracted back in Vietnam - but still I'll pack my things from home, knowing what I put in.

Choeung Ek (Extermination Camp)

by keeweechic

All the victims of Tuol Sleng Prison were later sent to this camp for liquidation. Towards the end of 980, 86 out of the 129 mass graves were unearthed in this extermination camp and 8,985 corpses were found (The Killing Fields).

A stupa has been erected to preserve their remains and to commemorate the death of the Kampuchea people under Pol Pot Regime.

Comments