Sokha on Norodom

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Phnom Penh

TUOL SLENG GENOCIDE MUSEUM AND PRISONTUOL SLENG GENOCIDE MUSEUM AND PRISON

Independence MonumentIndependence Monument

Cell, S21, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.Cell, S21, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Stupa of Princess Kantha BophaStupa of Princess Kantha Bopha

Getting a cab to catch 06:45am flight & dining options near Sunway Hotel

by dream916

This is my first time in Cambodia.

Would appreciate if someone could advise me if it is easy to get a cab in the early morning on Sunday to catch my 06:45am flight. I'll be staying at Sunway hotel near Wat Phnom. How much should I be expected to pay for the ride?

In addition, please recommend some nice restuarants near my hotel.

Thanks in advance!

by yvr

Have your hotel arrange for the cab the night before.

by brianwadam

I recently returned from a trip to Siem Reap and was recommeded a Tuk Tuk driver who was great - if you need a ride anywhere (airport early) he is very reliable and I highly recommend him. His e-mail address is - john_angkor@yahoo.com

by annemarie_oleary38

Hi,

Tuk tuk prices will depend on how many of you there are (extra weight!) 6 months ago one for just me to the airport was (i think) $6.

Nice restaurants:
Friends- for interesting tapas style dishes cooked by ex-street kids trained as chefs
Frizz- on the riverside for the best fish amok
Boddhi tree guesthouse for great lunches, curries etc (opposite Tuol Sleng museum)
If you fancy european food Pacharan and Tamarind are both very delicious.

I can't remember any others but Riverside, street 42 and street (I think) 278 just south of Sihanouk bvd have some nice places. Have fun.

Travel Tips for Phnom Penh

Killing Fields

by mischk

For anyone thinking of taking a moto / tuk tuk to the Killing Fields, don't do it. I'm not trying to put the poor bastards out of business, but a recent trip there was the bumpiest, most crazy ride and although the road doesn't look that bad, I don't recommend it.
We were hanging on, trying to stop our teeth from slamming together and to keep our bums on the seat. Those little motos are quite well-made but we were shaking about like dice in a can. Terrible road. Although it only goes on for 20 minutes or so, we watched with jealousy as people cruised past on mororbikes. I would recommend taking a motorbike, even if there are 2 of you.
Also, take a Kroma - one of those scarfs the Cambodians wear. Throughout my trip it was one of the best purchases I made - perfect for protecting yourself from wind, rain, pollution, dust and dirt, especially good for dusty roads around Cambodia.

Phnom Penh Tip

by maribelm

El ambiente de las calles en un dia festivo. Las calles se llenan de puestos callejeros de comida y bebida, en el suelo extienden sus esterillas e improvisan de pronto unos restaurantes donde antes solo habia asfalto.

Bye Bye Bird

by chrisvandenbroucke

Everywhere on the streets, but expecially near the Wats, old ladies try to sell you a bird.
If you free it, it will breng you happiness and a long life.

Rumours fo that the birds are trained and come back to their cages after a few minutes.

Eat fried tarantulas! (Hey, who wouldn't...)

by desktoptraveller

As soon as I found about Cambodia's roadside delicacies, it was top of my to-do list. I had to see this with my very own eyes...people...eating...spiders!! It took a few days, but finally I came across one of these unusual hawkers. Sitting inside my tuk tuk I could see piles of cooked insects - crickets, cicadas, even snails. And yes, spiders. The ones on the street seemed fairly small, but I was told on good authority that the bigger they are the more expensive they are.

But it was not until I went to Romdeng restaurant on street 278 that I got the chance to see this fascination up close. To my delight I found Fried Tarantulas on the menu and convinced my dear, brave friends to order it. We waited in anticipation, wondering what fried spiders might look like...squishy? diced? legs on or off?

When the waiters appeared we lept out of our seats. Three, perfectly formed tarantulas sat still on the plate. On a bed of lettuce. With dipping sauce.

What came next was tourism at its worst, as we shrieked, played and posed with the cooked critters. Only one of us was brave enough to eat it. I could hardly touch it.

Despite being a terrible tourist I was glad to experience something that only Cambodia can offer. If you're in PP, leave those boring hotel restaurants behind and try this most memorable meal.

Ta Phrom

by keeweechic

Ta Prohm is located to the east of Angkor Thom. Apart from the architectural interest, the ruins have been left just as they were when they were rediscovered. Massive Tree roots spread out like tentacles over the stonework and drape down the sides.

Location: Siem Reap