No.198 Shengli Road, Hefei, Anhui, 230011, China
Agoda.com Hilton.com Booking.com

Costs 65% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

Travel Tips for Hefei

I spent almost my entire childhood here...

by Bob_Shan

"Dong Pu Island (so called Science Island)"

The Science Island, used to be called Dong Pu Island, left me a long piece of memory - a blue one.

I dont like the Scicence Island at all, though I spent here almost 10 years (1981-86, 89-94), which was my entire childhood...

In my memory, the place was a rather closed community. Daily life was nothing more than study, eat and sleep.

One way of knowing the external world was to read megazines (though of very limited choices) and shortwave radio broadcasts.

This far-reaching area was built during the extreme communism regiem, as a base for nuclear fusion technologies research. Lots of scientists and engineers were sent here from big cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. My parents were among them, and that was why I was living there.

The only media entertainment was the local TV channel, broadcasting (at that time) some HK made soap operas.

I had a rather mixed feeling about this place.... but one thing is for sure: I dont like here because there were many sad memories, and I hate the "communisim" life.

Comments