Hua Shan Hotel

3 Yanan Road, Tunxi District, Huangshan 245000, China

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Huangshan

Love LocksLove Locks

Pai feng in Tunxi old townPai feng in Tunxi old town

Angry Sea of CloudsAngry Sea of Clouds

By Chitan HungBy Chitan Hung

Huangshan or Taishan?

by SandiM

For my third photography trip to China, should I go back to Huangshan (beautiful, but really strenuous for me, who is sorely out of shape) or should I try Tai Shan in Shangdong (never tried before)? I heard this one was great too, but perhaps not as ethereal as some of the scenery I saw on Huangshan? Advice from those who have climbed both, please? Thanks! Keep in mind I love photographing fairy bridges and odd rock formations (found a few good ones on Huangshan).

by barefootonbeach

First I have to say that I haven't been to TaiShan. But I have traveled a lot of palce in China. You should choose Huangshan if you like photographing so much. As you say, Taishan is nice, but no so beautiful as Huangshan.

BTW, It is not so hard to climb Huangshan. If you want to be easy, you can get to the mountain by cable car. It would save lots of your physical power.

by ellyse

I've been to both. Did you see my Taishan travel page?
I'd pick Taishan this time round.

by lindyz

Sandi ... you lucky thing! Youve only recently come home from Italy and you are already planning a return trip to China .... I wish I had your travel schedule instead of mine!!!

Travel Tips for Huangshan

Stay at least one night on the mountain

by MikeySoft

I went to Huangshan May 2007. We went after the May holiday week and it was great.

But we made the mistake of not spending a night on the mountain. I recommend you do.

I've been told that reservation are a good idea for a Sat or perhaps even Fri night. These are the most popular and also the most expensive!

You may not need reservations other nights as long as it not a holiday. Watch out for Chinese New Years, May week holiday (First week in May), and National holiday (First week in October)

I'm also told prices are around 500 RMB for other days of the week, up to about 700 RMB for Sat night and around 650 (?) RMB for Fri night.

Update: Starting in 2008, the May holiday is nolonger a week long.

It might rain!

by aukjejetty

Do not forget your raincoat, one that covers all! I brought this bright orange thing from home, but in China they sell much better raincoats and for only 4-5 dollars. Just look for a bike-rainponcho, they are great to use when you get some rain and have no where to hide.

Sunset at Brightness Peak

by stmlnyc

The second highest peak, Brightness Peak is known as the point to watch the sunset and sunrise.

I didn't think it was worth the wait though. But then most tourists have the whole day so they mind as well end the day or start the day seeing the sun.

Up on the mountains

by gwen_tifa

This is my best trip to China ever so far. Never have I experienced more discomfort, physical endurance and wetness throughout the whole journey up, all bacause I wanted catch the freshnesss of the air and beauty of this attraction! This is also the place where I made many friends with other local tourists.

Well, I guess it's was both fortunate and unfortuante that things didn't turn out our way. First, it rain not long after our climb. We had the worst accomodation (and the most expensive) compared to the other places which I stayed in other provinces. And the fact that I chose the snail path and not take the cable car up, it took up too much time which i could have well-spent it on exploring the various peaks. (I had only a night, time was definitely a constraint). And i regret not doing some warmups and stretching before that, my kness felt wobbly the next day! My dinner was instant noodles and energy food which I brought back from my home country and from the base of the mountains. It felt like a hiking trip. Nevertheless the cool air and the company from other tourists and my fellow friends made the trip more pleasant.

Visit my Huangshan Travelogue to read more!

Comments