Huangshan Huanqiu Gujing Hotel

No.1 Saixifangcun Road, Tangkou Town, Huangshan District, Huangshan, Anhui, 245000, China
Ctrip.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Huangshan

Love LocksLove Locks

Descending the scenic western steps.Descending the scenic western steps.

Mystical MorningMystical Morning

By Chitan HungBy Chitan Hung

How stupid was that? Climbing 1/2 mountain

by SandiM

So I'm looking over my photos of my climb on Huangshan, which I did in September 2009. We took the cable car up the Eastern side, and hiked up to the Beihai hotel to watch the sunrise the next morning. After breakfast, we headed toward the Western cable car. The path split in 2 directions, one headed to the West Sea Canyon (right hand path), and the left hand path headed straight up. On my map, it looked like it was a shortcut to get to the cable car but ended up being an upward stair-climbing journey which took a couple of hours and was murder on the legs! In hind-sight, did I really miss out the THE most beautiful section of this climb?? I can always re-schedule another trip back to Huangshan, but it would have to be worth it to go through it all again. So, for those of you who have hiked that section from the Beihai hotel to the Cloud-dispelling pavillion, and then past the flying rock, was it really something I shouldn't have missed? Was the walk harder than the one I did (the shortcut?). I mean, it was so hard on us that we ended up hiring the porters to lug us down the mountain (at top speed) for $125 each (and we tried to bargain but they wouldn't budge on the price) from the Bright Summit area....So, thoughts? Should I do it again? I did take the detour at Baiyun Hotel and go to the Fairy Bridge, which was precarious but definitely worth the risk, judging by the photos I took...what to do?

by footstool

Maybe you should hire a helicopter to drop you at the top of the mountain, then climb down. You could honestly say you have "worked" the entire mountain (just not on the same day, of course!).

by ellyse

Hmmm? Did you perhaps end up on Heavenly Capital Peak? It doesn't sound like it. It kinda sounds like you went through the "yi xian tian" (strip of sky)? I'm not sure though.
My favourite part is the West Sea Canyon... would've been better if you did all of that. :P

by ellyse

Actually, if you came in summer/autumn last time, I would try and schedule a visit for winter, if you're not afraid of cold. The scenery would be very different.

by SandiM

Not too keen on cold weather, but another trip is being considered to go back and do that West Sea canyon strip. I am really knocking myself for not taking that route, ellyse. But, I wanted to do the side trip to Buxian Fairy Bridge, and that took me 3.5 hrs and it was worth it, so I guess it had to be one or the other, in order to make the 7pm train to Shanghai. But as I said, I'll definitely be back to try again!

by ellyse

I think if you walked from Baiyun Hotel to Fairy Bridge, you did half of West Sea Canyon. Fairy Bridge (bu4 xian1 qiao2) is the "midway" point of West Sea Canyon hike.
West Sea Canyon is also not open during winter.

Travel Tips for Huangshan

The most beautiful mountains in the world

by Rillifane

The Huangshan mountains are in the province where my family has lived for over four thousand years.

I've seen a lot of beautiful scenery in my life but i don't think anything compares with this.

Packing List

by FreeCloud

We each carry a very simple back pack like the one you use when go to college. We packed several sets of changing clothes, rain ponchoes, socks, cameras and films. Cleaning stuff. Maps, and your tour info. A flash light can be very useful at night if you cannot reach your destiny before dark. We were there in May, hot and sunny, some thunder storms/showers from time to time. Shorts and sturdy and comfortable hiking shoes (sneakers are good enough). One wind blocker kind of jacket or a light sweater would be enough for late evening and especially very early morning sunrise. Never use umbrella, always wear your raincoat/poncho, as wind in the mountain can be very strong, it would be a safety hazard to you using an umbrella. Sunblock screen cream can be useful when sun is strong. There are 'star-related' hotels at the mountain area, even some of the public toilets in those hotels are rather dirty and stinky. We always carry many single wrapped anti-bacteria/germ wet tissues (bought from home in US) for personal use. Do not have any expectations about toilet paper, always carry your own in case. Waterproofing camera bag is a must. Use comfortable (sponge type material lined) stripes to proventing your shoulders/neck being hurt (as you are wearing shorts in summer). While we try to carry/use our tripod wherever we go, it is not practical to carry one in this area. Too heavy and clumsy. I just sat my camera on a rock (never short of that). Hiking boots can be a better choice than sneakers with less contraction. The wet stone steps can be very slippery.

The Clouds

by Sharrie

Huangshan is known to be more beautiful & ethereal after the rain. It's that passing clouds which made it seemed heavenly. I was lucky enough to see that & finally realised what those artists were trying to project in all Chinese landscape paintings. Unfortunately, I did/do not possess the skill to capture all that on camera! Well, you'll have to hike up & see it for yourself ;-)

Huangshan - Mystical Landscape

by vincentf

Huangshan is a very surreal landscape which has been written in many ancient Chinese poetry. It is located in Anhui province. Direct flights from Hong Kong (to nearby Tunxi) provide a faster way of reaching this remote area. Any nature buff or avid hiker must visit Huangshan. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comments