Xiangming Hotel

Galactic StewGalactic Stew

By Chitan HungBy Chitan Hung

Hot springs area hotels

by SandiM

On our next trip to Huangshan in the spring, we want to stay near the hot springs scenic area. I am aware of the Taoyuan Hotel, and the Best Western Huangshan. Are there others to consider which are very close to the hot springs? We won't have a car, so we will be on foot so we'll also be needing access to taxi service to get a ride to the Yungu cablecar to start our ascent.

by ellyse

The hot springs are on the Western side of the mountain, I think it might be easier to go there before or after you ascend/descend from the Western Steps.

by SandiM

Hi ellyse! Good to hear from you! You may recall that in September my mom (72) and I (41) climbed Huangshan, after getting loads of advice from the VT'ers (including yourself, thanks!). We want to go back there, but mom has decided that this time she would like to wait for me at a hotel below while I make the climb since this time I want to do the route from the Beihai hotel to the Paiyunlou Hotel (West Sea Canyon) and last time we skipped that route to take the 'shortcut' straight up through the woods on the lefthand path (that nearly killed both of us! wow, how gruelling and no scenery!!). I realized I missed a good chunk of photographic scenery along the West Sea route so I have to do it again in April. Mom wants to stay in the hotel below, and I am trying to pick one that is VERY close to the hotsprings so she can relax for 24hrs while I do my climb. I understand that part of the path along the West Sea route is just platforms bolted into the side of the mountain! I want to photograph that! Also, there may be more bridges to photograph than the Fairy Bridge (did that!) and interesting rock formations on the west steps going down to the cablecar (is there anything wildly photographic on the western steps if I skip the cablecar and just walk down isntead?). So, that's why I want a hotel near the western side, to meet up with mom after the climb down and stay one more night to recuperate....

by ellyse

Hi SandiM, of course I remember you! :)
Do the West Sea Canyon in the opposite direction, I've heard that the scenery is better that way, and the climb might be easier. I've only done it in the "correct" direction, so I don't know how it actually compares.
The comments I've got from my travellers who did try the hot springs suggests that they were quite underwhelmed though. If you could email me again, I'll try and dig their comments out for you. Email is ellyse99@yahoo.com -- put "VirtualTourist" and your own username (eg SandiM) in the subject line.

by SandiM

yes, I heard that about the hotsprings, but it's a place to drop mom off before doing the climb, so I had to ask. Do the West Sea canyon the opposite way, you say? So, do it from the Baiyun Hotel via Paiyunlou Hotel to Beihai instead of Beihai to Paiyunlou to Baiyun? If it is easier that way, I'll do it, but I then need to figure out how to get from the top of the Yungu cable car to that spot (was there an easy shortcut through the woods? I can't recall....) I just remember that the climb from Beihai directly up to the weather station via the 'shortcut' through the woods was straight up and nearly killed my legs! I dont' want to walk up to the West Sea Canyon via the western steps, since it is mighty steep even if I do take the western cablecar up halfway.

by ellyse

Drop her off in Tunxi, or even better, in one of the Hui-style villages.

Travel Tips for Huangshan

hope useful for you-huangshan

by allyhouse

1,if you would like to go to visit hongcun,I think you should have a night there ,then tomorrow morning to Tangkou.
2,Public bus in Yixian is morn than in Hongcun,so,you had better from hongcun to yixian ,then to Tangkou(best way). publice bus in hongcun,as i know,there are 2 runs available,but i don't if your time can be match.
3,You had better to arrange one night in the peak as weel.RMB100.00/bed min.
4,3 days is enough.
5, if 1 day in huangshan only,you had better take the cable car.but cannot enjoy the joy!!
6,Tunxi to Tanjiaquiao by taxi about RMB120~200.MAX.200RMB.
7,Tongkou to Tanjiaqiao : about 30 minutes.

Pack light; take only the essentials listed below

by Confucius

A backpack is best. You'll want both hands free as you ascend the mountain. Even during summer it can get chilly on top with strong winds as well. "Huangshan" themed tourist sweatshirts are available for sale at the gift shop near Welcoming Guests Pine if you wait until the last moment. A decent pair of hiking shoes will not be found at the summit, however, so get a good pair elsewhere before you arrive at Huangshan. As you should at any other place in China, include a large roll of toilet paper and some pocket tissues on your packing list. If you are thinking of including Huangshan in your upcoming China itinerary and don't already have a digital camera, then plan on packing a lot of film. Pack a swimsuit if you think the hot springs at the base of the mountain might appeal to you after two days of trekking. Buy your bottled water in a Tunxi grocery or someplace else before arriving at Huangshan. Pack some light snacks too. Once you arrive at Huangshan, the higher you climb, the higher the prices climb with you! One final item; a Huangshan map. Support the local touts and contribute to Anhui's economy by buying yours after arrival.

Taking pictures at Huangshan

by SLLiew

Everyone seem to want to have their shots taken to show their friends back home.

Easier for me, as I was mainly taking pictures of scenery but still have to avoid bumping each other's camera or each other off the slope.

Because of the crowd waiting in turn to take pictures of all the famous sights with legendary names of characters formed by mountain tops, rocks, clouds and trees.

With names like:
"Rock that flew"
"Monkey overlooking the sea"
"Lotus Flower Peak"

YELLOW MOUNTAIN THE GREATEST MOUNTAIN IN CHINA!

by shakilalee

"A amazing mountain ! the highest place i got sofar"

this is my fist time to get the higest place so far,after 3hours climbing time,i got the brightness peak which height is over 1680 meters.thats amazing!i feel that i conquered myself....in the way to get on it ,we impired each other,so moved process ,so impressive time.though actaully i dont like climbing moutain i prefer sea and beach!

"sliver pine tree and mountain!"

the weather on the moutain changes so quick ,in winter,it snows in some part of the moutain.its so beautiful just like a white sliver clothes wrapped them.

"moutain in the sunrise time around the clouds sea."

its a nice picture.its rare to see the sea of clouds.it just like the sun jumpped out the sea into the red bright sky.....the mountain is stands in the white dreamy sea.....

Comments