Xuan Yuan International Hotel

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Huangshan

Love LocksLove Locks

view from Lotus Peakview from Lotus Peak

Another misty morningAnother misty morning

By Chitan HungBy Chitan Hung

Need some advice please!

by doyoucount

Will be visiting Huangshan in approx. 2 weeks. I have have arranged lodging at the Bei Hai Hotel on the mountain.

My questions.....
What is the best route up to the hotel (I will be staying in Tunxi the night before).

The next day we plan to spend the morning on the mountain and then head down to visit Nanping & Hongcun. Any suggestions on how to spend the morning before our descent?

Finally, are there any really good walking maps to the mountain?

Thanks for your help!

by barefootonbeach

It seems that you just spend one day and a morning on the mountain. It is really not enought for Huangshan and you will miss some amazing area.

There are two route for you to get to BeiHai Hotel, from CiGuangGe or YunGuSi. Both of them have cable cars. The best thing to do in the morning is to watch the sun rise at QingLiangTai which is not far from the BeiHai Hotel. ShiZiFeng(Lion Peak) is another good choice.

You can by a map at TunXi or on the mountain. It is rather easy to get one.

by doyoucount

Thanks for the info!

by ellyse

What's your definition of "best"?
The nearest cable car is Yungu cable car.
If you're going down on foot, you'll need the morning to go down via Western Steps.
I have a decent map if you can read Chinese.

by SandiM

hi doyoucount, i just replied to another person's inquiry on this mountain, since I have had recent experience crawling (literally) over it in September. If you are still monitoring your replies on this thread, do check it out. It was a recent question about Huangshan and it might help you out a bit.

Travel Tips for Huangshan

Excellent travel advice

by TrappedInUK

Before climbing the mountain, seek out Mr Cheng (aka Simon). He runs a restaurant in Tangkou and also speaks very good English, and provided us with excellent advice about the best routes and interesting sites on Huang Shan. Without his advice our trip would not have been the same. His restaurant is hard to find but he'll probably find you! Alternatively call his cell phone, 13085592603.

He is a really helpful and nice guy, genuinely!

Things are costly as you get higher.

by gwen_tifa

Travel light, if you are going to climb and not take the cable car. Most people would not be wanting to stay in the mountains so maybe you can consider bringing just one extra set of clothes, in case you get drenched. Pack more food than anything, but travel as light as you can. Raincoat is extremely essential, and if you fear cold, it's always good have gloves water proof important and valuable equipment. Temperature drops as altitude increases. So be prepared for the dews to settle on lenses.

The weather

by Sharrie

I wouldn't say this is the best picture one could get out of Huangshan, hardly! But this is MY picture & it's what I could get with that kind of weather.
It's also one which I had to brave a lot of effort & courage to get. So, it's special to me.

When I was standing right there & then, I remembered the cold, the wind & the fright!
Yes, it's scary to stand at the edge on a windy day & to look down & wonder how far one could fall.

In fact, I heard there were many who committed suicide there because of relationship problems (from a chinese guide whom I met on the train).
The irony of it all, there's nothing to protect you from falling, not many railings along the trails!
In fact, I witnessed one such fright... a child nearly fell!

You see Huangshan, you see it all.

by jeekong

Pardon the claims, but this is what the people of Anhui Province China swear by. They said once you see huangshan, you can forget Taishan or other famous shan (mountain) elsewhere in china....

I spent a few days there doing my photography work. I remember was camping out at a viewing pavilion at 3.30am in sub-zero temperature just to get a good location for my camera to catch the sunrise. The wait was worth it though...

Comments