Yunsong Hotel

No.165 Changgang Dong Road, Tunxi Area, Huangshan, Anhui, 245000, China
Shuguang Yunsong Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Huangshan

One of the hotels on the mountainOne of the hotels on the mountain

Huangshan SunriseHuangshan Sunrise

The upside down tableThe upside down table

By Chitan HungBy Chitan Hung

Trip to Huangshan

by carlos40

Hi,
I plan a trip to Huangshan for mid october; brobably I will come direct from Shanghai or from Hangzhou, if I decide to stay also for one or two nights in Hangzhou.
After Huangshan I want to continue to Hongcun and Xidi and than further down to Wuyuan, afterwards continue to Wuyi shan (if transport available) or back to Tunxi and by Train down til Yongding (Hakka area).

I plan to arrive in Tangkou before lunchtime, leave my big lugguage somewhere and go up to the top (or take the cable car). Then I would like to walk on top til evening for sunset and stay on top in a dorm for the first night. Next day I would like to hike west sea canyon and stay another night in a dorm-room. On day 3 I would got down the western steps and take the 2 o'clock bus to Hongcun.

I plan 2 nights on the mountain to have enough time for photography and also I don't want to hurry since I think Huangshan will be the top-highlight of the trip. I plan to avoid the weekend and go between monday to friday.

My questions:
1) Like I already mentioned: Is Tangkou a good base for leaving the luguage (probably I won't stay a night in Tangkou because after the mountain I want to continue to Hongcun)?
2) I want to go up the eastern steps, but I also think about the option to take the cable car, because then it would be easier to transport more water. Would I miss a lot skipping the eastern steps?
3) Another option going up would be the Taiping cable car: Is it very difficult to go to Taiping from Tangkou, is there public transport?
4) Where to book the dorm-bed for 2 nights, how many days in advance?

By the way, I already stayed on Huashan (near Xi'an) in a dorm for 80 (without shower). This time for 2 nights in a dorm a shower would be essential!

5) How much is a bed in a dorm with shower?

Well, thanks for your info.

Re: Trip to Huangshan

by ellyse

To get from Wuyuan to Wuyishan I think you'll have to go back to a larger city eg Shangrao to get a direct train connection.
Shangrao -- Wuyishan:
K197/K200 (0112--0339) 2h27min
2001 (0213--0428) 2h15min
K163 (2030--2328) 2h58min
I also tried Quzhou and Hangzhou but no better arrival timings than these 3 trains, and the journey would be even longer so I guess Shangrao would be your best choice.
Personally I prefer to ascend via Taiping cable car as it has the best views and is also less crowded. It's on the north side of Huangshan so you wouldn't be going there via Tangkou, you'll be going by bus Tunxi -- Taiping. In which case I would recommend leaving your luggage in Tunxi. There're much more connections from Tunxi to Hongcun, so you're not losing out by not going via Tangkou.
I would be able to help you out with dorms in the summit area. When exactly would you be staying?
If you have any more queries, email me at ellyse99@yahoo.com and put "VirtualTourist" and your own username (eg carlos40) in the subject line.

Travel Tips for Huangshan

At hottom of Huangshan, tea and bears

by SLLiew

There are many tourist attractions after your visit to Huangshan that are worth dropping by before returning to town:

1) Tea house that demonstrate different method of preparing tea and the different kind of tea for you to sample. Buying the tea is optional and usually can be pricey especially the specialty Huangshan tea.

2) A snake farm that sell all part of the snake for medicinal value and a bear pit where you can hang apples for the bears to stand on their two paws or throw in a live chicken. Please do not do the latter.

It is relatively easy to hike...

by FreeCloud

It is relatively easy to hike in Huangshan area, as long you are physically fit. Not safe for young children unless you tie your children up onto you.
Steps were either carved out of the rocks or built up with cement (carried up by local people - cheap labor). The hike is straneous, sometimes very dangerous by at least by USA safety codes. The rule is: when observe do not move, and vice versa. Especially in heavy foggy days when the beautiful clouds surrond you and make you feel like in a fairyland, induldge yourself, but be careful.

This photo shows the width of the now newly built main paths compare to the 1-foot wide path made of loose rocks used before on the right. The rock steps on the mountain can be very slippery when wet. The steps somehow was carved inclining outwards instead of inwards, so extra attention is needed.

There were 3 cable routes which can save some time and effort, we took two of the major ones. Of course what you see from a cablecar might be very different from what you see hike from below - either way has its merits.

Danger

by Sharrie

When hiking alone, the danger is you could slip & fall & no one is there to seek help. On hindsight, it's a stupid decision. Then, I thought it was very courageous of me to do so. So the morale of the story is, when you made it, it's courage. When you didn't, it's stupidity, lol...

Heaven For Poets And Painters

by aukjejetty

This was physically the most challenging adventure in China. This mountainrange has 72 peaks, with the highest (Lotus peak) at a height of 1,873 meters. You can climb up on stone stairs all the way, which we did, or you can take a cable car up.
From the top it is gorgeous, you can actualy look down upon the sky if it is a cloudy time. When I was on top it was one of those cloudy days, and only briefly each time could I look down. All I saw were the amazing peaks, with elegant trees growing right on the side of those peaks. It was picture-perfect!

Comments