Beijing Millennium Palace

18 Jianwai Dajie, Beijing, Beijing, 100020, China

More about Beijing

River valleyin the hillsRiver valleyin the hills

Hot orange juice (and VT globe_trekker)Hot orange juice (and VT globe_trekker)

great wallgreat wall

view from summer palaceview from summer palace

China Southern Airlines

by suzelsand

Hello.
Can anyone tell me where is the ticketing office of China Southern Airlines in Beijing and in Guangzhou.
Thank you.

by cgf

by suzelsand

by adoc

It's easy to buy the tickets via China Southern Airlines' website. The website has English version. http://www.csair.com/en/index.asp

As to your previous question about van rental in Beijing, I already replied it to your VT email.

Travel Tips for Beijing

Signs in Asia

by amambaw

I love the signage in Asia, and was particularly fond of the signage in Beijing. Translations into English don't always work out how they are supposed to, or they seem silly. I find this novel, and it always brings a smile to my face. This sign was situated next to a patch of grass at the Sacred Way of the Ming Tombs.

bargain bargain bargain

by freelance

the markets expect you to bargain...they usually call a higher price if they know you are a foreigner...thus...call for about 75% less than the asking price...if you can't make a deal...then walk away...they'll call you back and try to make it work...

Beijing Street Scene

by snuggie

Beware if you are crossing the roads in Bejing,there isn't much traffic light.
Also there are many cyclist on the roads,do watch out for them too.But overall,if you have the time,look around the street of beijing,it's of a different kind of feeling.

Lots of fake stuff

by Gard about Xuishui Silk Market

Before I went to China I had heard rumours that you could get pretty cheap copies of different stuff. So like most tourist we went to something called the Xuishui Silk Market. The name is not very accurate by the way…there are not much silk for sale but you can get North Face Gore-Tex jackets, copies of watches, gloves…well, you name it. It is pretty easy to get there by the way because this street is located right by the subway station Yonganlin (if I’m not mistaken). Already before we entered the market we were offered fake watches (two Rolex watches for 50 RMB). Once we got into the market there were little ”shops” everywhere. Nikki looked at some pants and in the end she wanted to buy 2 of them. The woman selling it pointed at the price which was about 600 RMB per pants. In other words quite ridiculous because that is the price of a pair of pants here in Norway. So we just walked off but the woman came after us and dragged us back and asked how much we wanted to give for the pants. So I punched in 300 RMB for both pants on her calculator and she was acting away and saying that it was too cheap and it was ”killing” her. After a lot of bargaining we walked off again because she did not seem to want to go low enough but then she came after us, gave us the bag and took her 300 RMB and she did not look very happy. So the price went down from 1200 to 300 RMB and I’m quite convinced that we still got ripped off :-)

We also went to some of the malls that are located in the Wangfujing area. But we felt that there really was no point in going shopping there. The prices were more or less on the same price level as back home and they didn’t really have a great selection. Gore-Tex jackets: Gore-Tex jackets are being sold at this market. I doubt that they are real and hence it is hard to say anything about the quality. I came across Gore-Tex jackets of the Norwegian brand Norrøna. And I was wearing my own Norrøna jacket so it was easy to compare them. The jacket had been copied down to the last details and even the washing instructions were in Norwegian. So I have to say that I’m impressed but I could spot some differences.

Watches: If you want to buy fake watches this is also the place to go. Here you can find fake watches like Tag Heuer, Breitling, IWC, Lange & Söhne, Omega, Rolex and so on and some of them actually contain automatic movements…so it is more or less ”real fake” watches as one of my colleagues once said. But the price of some of these watches started quite high. I looked at a Lange & Söhne watch and the seller wanted 750 RMB for it. Well, it seems like you have to bargain quite a lot to get the right price. We started at 1200 RMB for a 2 pairs of pants and we ended up at a price of 300 RMB

Did you see the critically...

by Krystynn

Did you see the critically acclaimed Chinese movie 'Farewell to My Concubine' (which garnered loads of awards) and wonder about the 'squeaky' voice produced by that beautiful female character who was actually a man? :-) Wonder no more! Why don't you try catching a CHINESE OPERA? Very unique. And it's VERY unlike the western-style operas. If you have very sensitive ears, you may also wish to bring along a ear plug (just in case)... because at some points during the opera when their voices get really, really, really shrill (I'm sure you know what I mean), it'd come in handy. :-)

Cool THICK make-up and shrill singing to go hand-in-hand with their exaggerated hand movements. Casually smart.

Comments