Beijing Ziyingge Hotel Beijing

More about Beijing

Don't get scammed in BeijingDon't get scammed in Beijing

Unbeleivable!Unbeleivable!

Summer Palace - the oldSummer Palace - the old

going to towergoing to tower

Host/Hostess gifts

by gatorcat

My husband and I are traveling to China beginning Oct 16. We will be will be with a tour group but we are also scheduled to have dinner in someone's home. I would like to bring a host gift, but I want to be sure it is appropriate. I thought it would be nice to bring something from my home town. I purchased a small(6 inches) quilted homemade box.The colors are greens, yellows, oranges, red,brown, a little black and a little silver , color. There are some flowers and a butterfly on the top. I would put a picture of it on here if I knew how, but I'm new to this whole site. Any advice would be helpful. Gatorcat

by dustmon

That sounds nice---I like to take small local food items when I need a host gift---You could consider some local orange flower honey (small jar) or other stuff from your area---you could always take a small bag of grits! :)
Have a great trip! Take some photos and share them with us when you get back!

dustmon

by goodfish

I don't know why it wouldn't be appropriate - nice of you to be so thoughtful. You could fill it some chocolate or other candies from your local sweet shop? If there are children in household, that might be a hit. You shouldn't have any customs issues with candy.

by SandiM

It is a great idea! Just be prepared--something in the back of my brain tells me that it is possibly customary for them to initially refuse the item. But, persevere and they will take it with great thanks. Show your sincerity, and they will be thrilled. At least, that is what I recall from being there a couple times myself.

by alza

Very true, what sandi said. Chinese people will politely decline a gift at first but on your third try, they'll give in. It's an etiquette rule there.
Of course, never take the gift back on their first refusal and consider the matter closed after a single offering... they are thrilled at getting a gift, and they want it, but their custom is to not accept it outright, so as not to appear too eager.

very nice thought you have! :) your Chinese hosts will be extremely pleased.

by dustmon

great tip from sandi---every one of us should keep that in mind----

by chinamonty

It sounds like a great idea.
Yes they will try to refuse it at first. You should make sure it is wrapped up as they may not open it in front of you as doing so can be seen as impolite in some areas so don't be offended if this does happen. This will be especially likely to happen if there are multiple gifts as the "status" of a gift compared to another may cause offence to the other giver.

by SandiM

Treat it almost like a game--knowing that they will accept it eventually, play the part of an insistent guest, like it would almost be sacrilege for you to go home without leaving that gift with them. But smile, and be humble at the same time! And have fun!

by ellyse

Sounds like a great gift to me! :) I hope your hosts liked it.
For Chinese families, something they can display at home would be good. Otherwise, food items are always welcome, something representative of where you come from, and preferably not widely available in China.
Traditionally, lots of people liked to give liquor/wine or cigarettes, but I personally don't like that.

Travel Tips for Beijing

Bottled water in Beijing

by Poundwise

There are a lot of convinience stores and super markets here and there in Beijing and you can trust them selling the authemtic product otherwise they would run out of business as it's mostly locals that frequent these stores. And in a same sense, you can trust them not spiking up the price for the coming Olympic. I do advise you to avoid those kiosks locate around the major tourist attractions, the price would be far more higher, even in common days, I cann't say how much they would increase during the Olympics. Bottled waters are cheap in China, usually 1.5-2 Chinese Yuan. My advise is that you should stick with these name brands:
Å©·òɽȪ NONGFU SPRING
ÀÖ°ÙÊÏ ROBUST
Have fun in Beijing.

Churches

by nepalgoods

There are many Christian Churches in Beijing. Just ask your embassy about services!
This is the Southern Cathedral (Nantang), the oldest Catholic Church in Beijing, founded in the middle of 16th century. It has been destroyed several times by earthquakes. Its present form comes from the rebuilding in 1904. I attended a mass short before Christmas 1988. The church was full of Chinese and Western people. A woman was singing Christmas carols. Her voice was that of an angel! I cried as I was so much impressed by the beauty of her voice!

Take a hike!

by yellowbell

I was dwarfed with all the things to see in Beijing. The cool autumn weather helped me walked many square meters, miles, hectares. Whatever measurement of distance you use, suffice it to say, that I'm glad I have good walking shoes now that I've come back to China.

I almost went shoeless on the train going to Shenzhen (2000) because my sandals can't take the brunt of the heavy rains. Also, I almost didn't appreciate the ruins of St. Paul's Church, Macau (2004). Rubber bands come in handy to serve as straps for my broken sandals.

TV Tower

by nepalgoods

There is a nice park not far from the TV Tower: Yuyuantan-Park. A small lake and nice flowers make this park very attractive to Chinese families. Specially in spring they gather here to take a photo with a blooming tree in the background.

It is located in the west of the city centre.

Capital of Rock n Roll

by ancient_traveler about Hard Rock Cafe

The name means "Northern Capital," but did you know the city of Beijing is also the capital of rock 'n' roll? For the last thousand years, the emperor of China sat enthroned here, but today we pay homage only to the true royalty of rock 'n' roll. Come worship at our temple. The Hard Rock Beijing accepts all faiths, just as long as you're true to great music and food, and of course the everlasting obeisance to rock gods and goddesses. Come one, come all! The Hard Rock Cafe Beijing is your place in Chinese ports of call.

Comments