Capital Hotel Beijing

See Amenities
548Mark's Profile Photo

Almost 5 stars...

by written on January 27, 2015

My girlfriend and I have recently stayed here. It was quite an upgrade up from the first Beijing hotel... or motel... we stayed in.
The first impression I got of this hotel was it was very old. Its probably been here for a very long time. Nonetheless, its a very good hotel. The beds are extremely comfortable and the hotel staff are really welcoming.
There is nothing sketchy or weird about this hotel, as far as I can tell. The staff are all straightforward and speak good english. On our return trip to Beijing, we will likely stay here again.

Cajun504's Profile Photo

Flexible Stay Hotels #1

by written on February 24, 2008

Literally hundred of thousand of people will be flocking to Beijing for the 2008 Olympic Games. This of course means great profits hotels that have raised their prices 5 to 10 times the norm. Unfortunate all spectators to attend the Games are not created equally with the ability to write blank checks and stay an extended period without great peril. So, as an answer to the hotels that have placed strict minimum stay rules I have begun to gather a number of hotels that allow visitors to stay for just a few day or even one. They may not all be as classy as the Capital Hotel Beijing, but they are clean, comfortable and welcoming.

Unique Quality: This hotel has a gym, spa, bowling, restaurants, western food menu, gift shop, modern room amenities and more.

Directions: Just east of Chairmen Mao Memorial Hall at Tiananmen Square

dafish51's Profile Photo

Good Location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 3, 2006

The Beijing Capital Hotel is a centrally located in historic downtown Beijing. It is within walking distance of Tian’anmen Square, the Forbidden City and the Wangfujing shopping district and a host of restaurants, galleries and museums.

Let me get the low points out of the way. Not enough to ruin our stay but I would be remiss not to mention them. Our five night stay in October 2006 was pleasant but the lack of facilities such as the closed spa/exercise room, swimming pool and the wear of our room carpet and furnishing would cause me to rate this Hotel below the four star rating that some give it. Being spoiled by U.S. standard air conditioning the room air conditioning was below my standards even though the public areas seemed well regulated. There were times I wish I could open our room window because it was much cooler outside than in our room even with the air conditioner going. A call to the desk concerning our air conditioner resulted in a visit but no change. Most of the garden area of this hotel has been sadly lost because of the construction of a new wing. The flux caused by the construction and renovations was mildly inconvenient. The ability and friendliness of the employees varied but unfortunately you can get this in five star hotels in the states. You could tell that the carpets in the public areas were new and they were renovating the rooms and I am sure by the time of the Olympics this hotel will live up to its 4 star rating

Enough for the bad stuff. Most of the staff tried hard to please, even with limited English. Our room was always clean and after leaving a note in Chinese, the maid always left plenty of ice in my collapsible cooler. The small refrigerator in the room was not much better than our air conditioner. The marble bathroom with its ample shower and separate bath was first rate.

Unique Quality: I found the breakfast buffet sufficient, nothing fancy but a fair selection. The quality of the prepared eggs and omelets depended on who was cooking them that morning but I always could go back and give them a second chance. They had a few local choices for breakfast. I enjoyed the stuffed sweet bean dumplings.

They have several restaurants on site. According to the menus the prices seem to be reasonable in relation to U.S. prices. We were too busy going and my wife only had a late night ham sandwich at what they call the coffeehouse. It was good but they were out of the type of ice cream and beer I requested (it was late night guys but I am bewildered how the combination of beer and ice cream had become so popular in China).

As the real estate lady and businessmen will tell you “It’s location, location, location”. The Capital has location in spades. The panoramic view from our room included the Old French Legation post office. Beside it on one side was the Old French bank and on the other side was the walls and buildings of the French Legation itself. As I understand it is now the residence of Cambodian Prince Sihanouk. The Capital Hotel itself is on the grounds of the former German Legation of the Boxer Wars. Not far were the former British and American and Japan Legations. Of course the Chinese do not regard anything built in the late 1800’s as being anything close to historic and do not dwell on the Boxer Wars. I being somewhat a history buff found the area a source of enchantment while my wife found it annoying because of my constant antiquated drivel. Also from our 11th floor room you could see coal hill and part of the Forbidden City, the modern malls and all the red flags fluttering for the October celebration.

Overall I would rate the Capital Hotel at this time a two and a half to a three out of five compared to the quality Hotels that I have stayed in. I also realize that it should be a four when renovations are complete

maria_hz's Profile Photo

Good location

by written on August 16, 2006

The Hotel was OK, and rather good value for money. A lot of renovation was going on when we were there, but it did not disturb sleep, most importantly, and the hotel clearly needs a renovation for the Olympics. It is being enlarged too. Would like to go back after 2008 to compare.

The staff was friendly and well trained and the hotel OK despite the ongoing renovation. The fitness centre was unfortunately closed for redoing, but we got foot massage in our room instead.

The location was very good and there were several restaurants and shops at the hotel. The outside didn't look very enticing at this point, but we got a good price and generally were happy.

Unique Quality: We chose this hotel on the basis of the location (walking distance to Tiananmen Square) and decent internet reviews. The room we got was big and cosy, with usual 4 star amenities, including one shower and one bathtub. The bed was big and cosy, the curtains efficiently concealed the day light so we slept very well. The room was non-smoking and that was fine, except for the fact that we got smoke into the bathroom through the ventilation system.

I particularly liked the fact that the wash basin was outside the toilet and there was separate make-up table and mirror, meaning my husband didn't suffer from me hogging the bathroom while I was making myself presentable.

Connecting to the internet was too pricy for our taste, though I don't remember the rate any more.

The breakfast buffet was nothing special to write home about, but was adequate and the omelette I had was actually great. The earlier you go the fresher the food.

Central hotel in Beijing

by written on June 4, 2006

A very nice hotel only a few blocks from Tiananmen Square. And within walking distance from The Forbidden City, Temple Of Heaven and Wangfujin Shopping area. Although it looks better on the outside than the inside, it is still good value. Everything inside looks a bit worn and well used, but it is clean and the service is excellent. English spoken in the reseption.

Unique Quality: Very good location. Quiet. Clean. Nice service.

laroses's Profile Photo

Central Location Very Handy

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 19, 2005

Spent 7 days in the Capital Hotel and found it pleasent yet basic. The room had an excellent night time view of Tiananmien Square. The room was large however the carpet had a large stain on it.

Although the room was good, those wishing to utilise the hotel facilities should beware. The gym was appalling, the swimming pool was dirty and, although apparently heated, freezing cold. In addition the meals were overpriced.

Overall, a good hotel if you just wish to use it as a base whilst exploring Beijing.

Unique Quality: The room was reasonably priced for the location at about $75 Australian Dollars

Nearby Capital Hotel Beijing

• Suites
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Beijing Travel Forum

Need advice about Beijing, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Beijing and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Beijing hotel reviews