China Hall of Science and Technology Beijing

More about Beijing

The main hall in ZhongShan ParkThe main hall in ZhongShan Park

farmersfarmers

gategate

the great wall of souvenir shops!the great wall of souvenir shops!

Bejing Hutongs

by SandiM

Are there any 'scenic' hutong areas around the central railway station or are they mostly located near the drum tower in the north? Our hotel is just north of the train station and we have a tight schedule for visiting. However, if the best photographs can only be taken at the ones near the drum tower, then that's where we'll head. Also, can anyone recommend a pedi-cab/rickshaw company that will pick us up EARLY in the morning to take us there for a tour for a decent price for 2 people? I only need a half-day (or less!) for a tour as we need to budget the time accordingly. Thanks!

Re: Bejing Hutongs

by DSwede

I do not recall the names of the Hutongs off hand, but the best ones that I wondered through were adjacent to the Drum Tower (as you rightly assumed in your post). Also, there are some immediately to the west of the Forbidden City that are worthy of a visit if you have time.

If you have the flexibility, I highly recommend you walk yourself through them. I never took a guided tricycle/rickshaw, but from all the people I've spoken to, they said the guided rides through them were a little rushed and never sat still long enough to get any decent photographs and/or feel the intimacy of the Hutongs.

Not to advertise my own tips, but per my Beijing notes, please be respectful when taking photos and exploring in the area. After all, many of the residents there are living meager lives and the tourists mindlessly passing through can be a bit intrusive.

Re: Bejing Hutongs

by ellyse

I'm not really up-to-date, but you might want to try the area south of Qianmen.
Otherwise, take the metro to around Yonghegong metro stop (lines 2/5) and explore south of there. No need for pedi-cab.

Travel Tips for Beijing

Temple of heaven park

by Gard

One day after visiting the Forbidden City we were still in high spirits and we made our way across Tiananmen Square in the direction of the Temple of Heaven (know as Tiãn Tán Gõngyuán). For 30 RMB you can get into this park and check out ”Hall of the prayer for good harvests”, ”Imperial vault of heaven” and ”Circular mound”. We entered the park from the west and it took us quite a long time just to walk to the centre of the park where we could check out the buildings. The ”Hall of the prayer for good harvests” is a circular temple painted in blue, green, gold and red and it was striking to see this temple against the blue sky background. From this temple we walked south to get to ”Imperial vault of heaven”. According to our guide book this has a perfect circular wall and just like the Whispering gallery at St. Paul’s in London one can stand on one side and talk to people on the other side. Our guide book also mentioned that trying this out may be tricky as we could expect quite a few loud Chinese trying it too*grin* Fortunately, it was not crowded that day. Nikki and I went to a side each and all of a sudden I hear Nikki’s voice saying ”G, can you hear me?”. I was quite surprised and said ”Yes” and I think Nikki was even more surprised than me because all she could say was ”Really??”.

The Power of Mountains

by solopes

Chinese tradition has a special veneration for mountains. That was a problem in Beijing, with the emperor's palace staying in a very flat area.
The solution? Building a mountain.
Thus we can see inside the Forbidden City a temple atop a pile of rocks, technically (and officially) a small mountain.

Tian Mo

by cksea

Tian Mo means desert from the sky. This place is 3 hours drive away from Beijing. Kinda new tourist attraction. Worth a visit if you have some free time to spend.
You have to overnight at a city called "sand city" - have no idea about the real name of it.
Be prepare for the dirty toilet. It's the worst I have seen.

Delight in bargaining?

by tintinlee about The Silk Market

First of all, it is a market rather than a shop. What the Silk Market famous for is that everyone bargains in this market. You might not wanna buy anything or you don't like Chinese traditional clothes at all, but you can have a try of bargainning with those insistent vendors. : ) It sells Chinese clothes and jewelry and pirated stuff of famous brands such as Gucci, Gap etc. It really depends how good your bargaining skill is.

Taxis in Beijing

by TravellerX

Taxis in Beijing, think about complaining? Don't waste your time. Despite all the adverts about the complaint line being in English that is the last you will find. Press 3 for English version? Again forget it. I thought I was used to Asia but after a week in Beijing I have had enough. Here are the tips, always pay the correct amount don't expect change, breathe a sigh of relief when you get to your destination unharmed, if at a hotel where anyone can speak English then have them write your address in Chinese.
All the nonsense about photographing your driver if he is smoking? Yeah right, you want to be let off in the middle of the road in goodness knows where, then that'll do it. Find some backseat belts with a connector not hidden by a blanket and you'll be lucky.
Forget any manners you may have, unless you push and shove the Chinese will walk all over you. They are uncouth animals. Forget any nonsense that is put about that the Chinese are a polite or cultured race they are simply cowardly drones who are frightened of authority. When their boss is around or they know you know their boss then they simper pathetically and fawningly - not a man amongst them - when their boss is not around watch them practically run over women and children to get what they want. Boorish, pathetic, yes men. They don't have the confidence or charm of the hong kongers and they certainly don't have the grace and style of the Thais. Beijing, what a toilet!

Comments