Courtyard By Marriott Beijing

3-18 Chong Wen Men Wai Street , Chongwen District, Beijing, Beijing, 100062, China

Pentahotel Beijing
Expedia.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Sexual Assault at Beijing Courtyard Spa

I am a long-term platinum member. This weekend I was in Beijing on my points, and asked for a massage. The Courtyard has a spa, one which advertises a special rate for guests, all costs are charged on the Courtyard bill. The spa is down the hall from the Courtyard in a health centre.

Without dealing with details, I was sexually assaulted by my masseuse. Since no one at this property spoke English, and I was terrified to deal with Chinese authorities, I tried to launch a complaint on line. For two days I heard nothing, and finally got Marriott operations today.

They will not refer me to higher than phone answering employees. No one has asked me how I feel, was I harmed, nothing. They are insisting I go to the Beijing police, but am now in Korea, and frankly, I am more interested in making sure this never happens again than dealing with charges that may or may not be criminal --

Long and short of it all, I am in a mess, I am a mess, and cannot believe that this is the treatment a serious complaint gets.

DO NOT go to this hotel. Be cautious of using any Marriott Spa personal massages. They claim no liability for their actions and their employees.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Ok...but nothing special

This Courtyard by Mariott is just Ok, it has a subway stop about a block away (Line 2 and 5) on the Chongwenman stop..... but the hotel faces a shady neighborhood. The hotel lobby is always hot.....they don't turn on the AC either in the lobby or the elevators or in the hallways. The service was just Ok, I asked for a map of Beijing and they gave me one in Mandarin...I looked at the guy and told him are you kidding do I look if I speak or read Mandarin !!!!! They also give you a half a$$ card with the hotel name, the card looked like a photocopy of a card.....We paid 500 RMB with taxes, so that's about $80 Us dollars.....just ok.....no real concierge, the taxi drivers that hang out at the concierge desk look shady.....and now the rooms...The rooms are newly redone....but you step into the bathroom and the hotel was cheap and didn't redo the bathroom...the rooms look totally new, but the bathrooms are 30 year old !!!!!! .... if you need a basic place to stay, and cheap then stay here, if your looking for location, and quality service...look somewhere else ..... 5 out of 10.... JUST OK

• lizzybee001's Profile Photo

Good Hotel for the Price

We stayed at the Courtyard By Marriott in Down Town Beijing. It was a very good price at the time for the stay.

Near:
    It's part of the New World Center, about 10 minutes away from Pearl Market, Tian An Men Square, the Forbidden City and other imperial sites. It's got great shopping in the New World center, with brands names and non-brand names.

It's really close to the subway station which made it really easy to get to places- and all the signs are in english!

Food:
    They have a really great restaurant in the Hotel (but it's only open till 10pm). The room service was fantastic and came in really handy when my husband got food poisoning. It's reasonably priced, but don't tip, since there is a 18% charge on whatever you order.

There is also a Sushi restaurant literally around the corner, as well as a KFC and McDonald's close by. But I don't recommend them at all. They also have a market down stairs.

The rooms:
    We stayed in the Executive room and it was not impressive. It was on the 7th floor and though the space was good, it was not very 'clean' looking. The carpet made our socks dirty! And even though we ordered a non-smoking room, we got a smoking room, which made the first couple of days horrible! But we upgraded to the 'owners' room which was okay. The water wasn't consistently hot even in the most expensive room. They are doing an upgrade now, and hopefully it's better.

Included:
    Breakfast buffet- the eggs are runny even if you want scramble. The breads were good, fruits were fresh.
    High Speed internet was supposed to be included, but we had to pay an additional $10 CAD a day.

Getting around:
    The hotel waved down taxi's for us and gave us cards of the hot spots written in chinese and english (which every hotel does).
    Subway station is very close by.

I would probably stay there again on another trip because its' a convenient location and has great service.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you're on a honeymoon, or a romantic getaway or if you have family.

Unique Quality: Nothing outstanding actually. Just a good location.

Directions: Close to Pearl Market and is in the New World Center

• Thanks but no thanks

I stayed on business on the Executive Floor. By western standards it was old and dilapidated. It was on the cusp of dirty but just liveable. I bathed in a detol bath if that is an indication and I have never done that before, mainly due to the do not drink the water notice in the bathroom. Executive Club level was ok, nibbles, beer and wine a plenty, breakfast was so, so. They could not speak English. Front desk was very helpful, friendly and courteous where the English was better.
    There are large floor to ceiling columns in the foyer, I mean BIG round columns making clear visibility for the front desk to all parts of the big foyer very difficult. It made certain people hanging around in the foyer, well hard to see. These people would ask if you required certain services. People your wife may not approve of should they end up alone in your room. As I said, there are Big columns in the foyer making visibility difficult and so I do not criticise the management for the people being there. I would give them the benifit of the doubt. I would score the hotel 6/10.

Unique Quality: Great location, right on a subway, big shopping center and a modern English speaking doctors surgery in same building. I got sick and needed their help, 10/10. If you are disabled, don't try the subway, you just won't get to a train with mostly steps/few escolators.
    Get all your destinations written in Chinese, expect a blank look when you say Tianimen Square, taxi drivers like most Chinese don't speak English.
    Don't rely on your Visa or Mastercard. I had a BP/Citibank Mastercard which was refused in big department stores which took Mastercard. Think of it this way, if you owned a shop and someone walked in with a Mastercard with only Chinese writing on it, would you take it? Cash, cash cash, but even then, get it on;y where you can trust.
    I had an argument with my taxi driver at the airport when I was leaving because he swore I was giving him counterfit money. It took three other taxi drivers to convince him, it was genuine.

• snowboarder74's Profile Photo

Centrally located, good service

We stayed here for 3 nights during our trip to Beijing towards the end of October in 2007. We used Marriott points for this stay so it didn't cost us anything. The concierge was very helpful and accommodating. We loved the fact that the hotel was centrally located in downtown and close to the subway station (Chongwenmen). It cost us about 110 RMB from the airport to the hotel. Also, if mandarin is not your native language, I highly recommend that when you first arrive at the airport in Beijing and get in a taxi, you have the hotel's phone number handy. No matter how you say the hotel's name or address to the cab driver, the odds are that he won't understand a single word of what you are saying. Since almost everyone there carries a cell phone, he can easily find out where he needs to go if you give him the phone number. Once you are at the hotel, simply grab their business card that has the hotel's address, etc written in Chinese. It's about 5 min cab ride to the Forbidden Palace, etc. There is an internet cafe (or bar as they call it there) right across in the SoShow building.

The rooms and service met our expectations. One night we tried the dessert in the restaurant/lounge downstairs and it was sort of below average.

• sunnysarah's Profile Photo

hotel with great service

We have stayed here for both our trips. At the time we were getting an Air Canada Employee discount. Rooms were clean, nice, your typical hotel room. Included was one buffet breakfast, fairly good, lots of selection, omlette, dim sum, fruit, cereal.....

Unique Quality: The best part of out stay there was the service!
    On our first trip we were there over my B/F's birthday. When we checked we gave the desk our passport...well they noticed that it was his birthday, and on his bday when we returned to the room after a day of shopping there was a cake with "Mr. Sutherland Happy BIrthday" written on it!!!
    We met some people while out and about and went to their room for a drink before dinner. That was when we realized not all the rooms were as nice as ours...we had also been upgraded to the corner room, with a couch, maybe a Jr Suite? That treatment cememnted where we will be staying on all our visits.
    the New World Courtyard Bejing
    A Marriott Hotel.

Directions: Chongwen District

• ahoerner's Profile Photo

New World Courtyard Hotel Marriot

Nice accomodations and a quite sober decoration in this Marriot hotel.

It is located in the same New World Mall complex, being actually one of its towers.

Western and Chinese breakfast are served on the 2nd floor.

For the visitor, it offers one of the best locations, excellent accomodations and facilities.

Unique Quality: Excellent location between the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven (walk distance of about 20-30 min).

• New World Courtyard Marriott

$40.00 range off-peak (USD)

Unique Quality: In off-peak, this hotel was well worth the price of $47.00 USD. A four-star hotel with a great restaraunt (dinner at about $6-7). Walking distance to the subway, Forbidden City, and Wangfujing Street for shopping.

More about Courtyard By Marriott Beijing

Courtyard Marriott Beijing and Beijing Review

by TripAdvisor Member travelcafe

First, I had bid for a 3 star (highest star level offered) in the Forbidden City district, but did not get a winning bid. Then, I bid for a 4 star in the Chongwen district of Beijing and got the Courtyard Marriott (at a reasonable price for a decent hotel there). It was about 100 RMB by taxi from PEK. I talk about Beijing taxis later. The lobby was nice, as most 3 and 4 star lobbies are, but our initial room was smokey with shabby carpets and wallpaper. I went to front desk and they gave me a much nicer upgraded room. The carpets here were not the newest and had a few stains, but I walk around hotel rooms wearing flip flops anyway. The hotel manager called us a couple of times to make sure we liked the new room better, and this was appreciated. We decided after seeing some of the other available hotels in this city, that actually we may have lucked out in getting the Marriott. As I believe this is a third world country, it seems the standards may be a little different than what we would expect in the US. I would suggest always staying in a "4 star", at least, in Beijing, and assume that it will be more like a 2 1/2 to 3 star by US standards.

The front desk staff was nice overall, but we found that there were a few that understood and spoke English better than others on staff. The concierge desk was efficient about writing down chinese translations, for destinations, on a card for the taxi excursions we took (highly recommended and also circle the destination on a map for the taxi driver).

The location was great! It was nice to go to the 5th floor of the adjoining New World Mall and have a selection of little eateries to go to, also nice to walk to the Pearl Market and to the Tiennamen Square area. We felt very safe walking and often commented on how we feel a little safer than walking thru some large cities of the US. I think that justice is very severe in China, so this probably helps alot.

We read a recent US article that explained how some Americans frown upon the social ettiquette of Chinese visitors to the US. I have to admit that sometimes it got tiresome, in Beijing, to get bumped by the Chinese and their bags but we came to the realization that the customs and practices are different from US standards. Can't expect another country to be like our own, can we? It's all part of the experience of visiting another country, so we enjoyed experiencing things as they are in Beijing.

Bathrooms were a consistent problem as, again, they weren't up to US standards. Honestly, I as a woman, could not force myself to use them: flat on the floor, smelly, and no toilet paper/soap. Bring tissues and hand sanitizer gel for emergencies, otherwise just use the restroom back at the hotel.

Taxis seem to often have their little "games". They will meet you outside the markets, after you have shopped and have significant bags of purchases, and quote "$80 RMB for Rush Hour". If you had taken a taxi to get there from the Marriott, you may have paid 10 to 25 RMB. You ask them to use the taxi meter, and they say it will cost more that way to get back to the hotel during rush hour. So then you are stuck not knowing what to do, so you negotiate before getting into the taxi, like we did. The next taxi will offer to take you back for $70 RMB, so then we negotiated $30 RMB. Then, you get in a taxi to go from the hotel to the airport. This driver says he will use the meter and shows you , only when asked, that the meter is starting at $10 RMB. Then the whole way to the airport, he somehow covers the meter so you cannot see it,and zeros it out at the airport before you can see the final amount. This ride cost $130 RMB. I think it's best to negotiate the total price before getting into the taxi and going to the airport. Let's not forget, too, that the driver will add about 10 to the total for the road toll. Games taxi drivers play! Oh, and how about when you show the driver the chinese translation for your destination, he seems to understand where you want to go, so you get in, and he drives around awhile before pulling over to ask to see the location on your map (meter running the whole time). Good thing the exchange rate makes the bill not too high.

There is a saying: "When in ______ , do as the _______ do." This would apply to China and probably other places in the world. In China, like the natives, hold your place in lines and negotiate the lowest prices.

Overall, we really enjoyed the experience (once we understood the rules) and will be going back.

We enjoyed it; but I can see why others didn't

by TripAdvisor Member AC2002

We stayed here for four nights, two for free (points) and two were paid. Let me first give you the good, but keep in mind my mixed-message title above...

The hotel itself is better than a typical U.S. Courtyard By Marriot (as in, the three story low-rises with minimal service but good rooms and free continental breakfast). The location is also pretty good- about a short taxi ride to Beijing's major tourist sites. Our room was fine and the internet worked without a hitch. The hotel is connected to a New World Center mall, which has some decent shopping and a very good food court with cheap and tasty (if not fancy) food. Yes, speaking Chinese might help with ordering, but the food is all pretty much in front of you- point and pay, if you aren't fluent in Mandarin. We ate dinner here twice. When we had to return to Beijing to catch our flight, we almost came back to this place (price was a bit higher, and we decided to try something different just to compare).

We saw some of the other comments, and I agree that it is likely that some rooms have smoke- but this is true in many hotels in China. It’s a cultural thing. If anything, I'd expect a foreign hotel to have a LOWER frequency of smoke issues. The pool is huge but COLD (by American standards). Our kids had to do laps instead of the usual lounging around just to stay warm! The pool is actually inside a health club in the attached shopping center complex- we didn't think it was a big deal to "leave the building" for about 50-100 feet. Bring a bathing cap, however- as a regular health club pool in China, they enforce this rule very strictly. We were sent down to the shopping mall to buy caps (which were 20-50 yuan each), but on the last day we saw others who got basic caps from the health club sold for only 10 yuan.

There are some other warts here which also could turn you off. We wanted to change money downstairs and also got rebuffed a couple of times (wait for the business manager to arrive, which is not until 10AM; right now we can only exchange cash not traveler's checks, and so on.) But they did change our money eventually, so it was not all bad. As for the taxis- I agree that the cabs in front are quite routinely "owner-driven" cars - meaning that they work for themselves and consider the meter optional. We took a short ride, and my wife was convinced that the fare was high (she spoke Chinese the whole ride to him, and he only put the meter up because she asked him to do so). If you are worried about it, insist on a cab that you like, or you can flag a cab half a block down the street - that's what we did for our taxi ride back to the airport. I'd also note that we stayed at the HolidayInn Downtown in Beijing, and the hotel staff there also insisted that "all cabs are alike." My point is that many 4 star hotels will tell you the same thing that this Marriot does. Regarding the "seedy neighborhood" comments- ChongWenMen is south of the center, and it is true that the south is not all great. The immediate area is fine. But we walked to the TianTan Park (less than a mile), we saw plenty of "poor Beijing" which doesn't make the tourism brochures. Compared to the poverty areas of the U.S. it actually isn't bad. We were approached by a beggar while walking back to the hotel. And we saw some buildings which were definitely aged and in need of repair.

As far as breakfast- we never paid the big bucks which the hotel wanted. If you are willing to eat local food, I strongly encourage you to try the Yong He Da Wong restaurant just one block to the right of the hotel (ask the bellboy or concierge; on the restaurant sign there’s picture of a guy who looks a little bit like an Asian Colonel Sanders). Food there is good, and at "local prices" (25-32 yuan each day to feed two adults and two children quite well). They also have a bacon & eggs special which might pass for "western food." One warning: the whole menu is in Chinese, but there are a good number of pictures, and plenty of people eating there so you could probably point to some things and have success.

Yes it's long winded, but I wanted to give you the full picture. I'd say the hotel building was 4.5 star quality, neighborhood is 4 stars, staff quality 2.5-3 starts, and amenities 3-4 stars here. Overall, a good place but come with the knowledge that there may be some annoying little things here and there.

Courtyard (Beijing Siheyuan)Courtyard (Beijing Siheyuan)

Help - Have several questions

by mstish

First let me say thank you for anyone that replts to me.

1. Does anyone know what district the Beijing Administrative College is located?

2. Has anyone taken the Grey Line Bus from PEK to their hotel?

3. What is the best means of transportation from PEK to Hotel

4. What district is the Pearl Market located in?

5. Anyone ever stay at the New World Courtyard Beijing; 3C Chong Wen Men Wai Street | Chong Wen District, Beijing 100062, China ...

6. Is the hotel in a good location that is central for getting around the city.

RE: Help - Have several questions

by vitraleus

Hi, i'm from beijing. but unfortunately i've never heard of that college before. the place you are staying at is kind of center of beijing. but it's not a very famous hotel in beijing.

what is PEK? and what is grey line bus??? wish to help you.

RE: Help - Have several questions

by nepalgoods

HI!

I cannot answer all your questions, but some of them.

With PEK do you mean Beijing Airport?.Well, ethere are several busses from Airport to the city center. The New World Courtyard in in a business-district. You should ask at the reception how to get around in Beijing. Taxis are comparatively cheap.

Happy travels!