No.1 Nanwanzi Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 010006, China

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing

Best Choice for Beijing

by TripAdvisor Member Cedric

There are several options for Beijing hotels - a giant Marriott etc, a Chinese hotel, a hutong courtyard-style place.

We loved the idea of a hutong hotel, but worried about picking a bad one (the ones widely recommended seem to be permanently booked). Big hotels don't appeal to us and are too expensive if well-located.

We settled on the Days Inn Forbidden City and we can't say enough good things about it. The price was great ($75 for a queen bed - didn't see the cheaper basement rooms, but really, don't do that to yourself) and the location can't be beat. This hotel is literally a 3 minute walk to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City entrance. It is 2 minutes walk to the Line 1 subway (Tiananmen East stop), and a 10 minute walk to the Wangfujing shopping street.
Cabbies had no trouble finding it (the hotel will give you a card with directions in Chinese).

Rooms were a bit small and had no bar fridge, but had 2-person shower, snazzy vessel sink, flat TVs with CNN (occasionally censored ;)), AC, free coffee and tea and 2 bottles of water a day.

The beds were firm in a good way, and the linens immaculate.

The hotel feels about 2 years old at most, the desk staff speak english, there is a currency changing machine and internet access in the lobby, the cafe has a great-but-pricey Western breakfast (we love Chinese food, but it's nice to have a familiar breakfast to start the day, no?)

They arranged a car to take us to the airport for a decent price too.

Book via the main Days Inn website, not hotels.com etc, as there is no savings. Note, though, that the maps on the website and most website like Venere are really wrong. It is north of the main East-west street with the subway line 1 under it (can't remember the name), just off Nanwanzey, to the east of Forbidden City. The maps show it as west, near a small lake, which is wrong. It is just around the corner from Raffles.

Great little motel

by TripAdvisor Member maj65

Great little hotel the size of an Aussie motel. Quite clean though the bathrooms seemed a bit worn. Which was weird as the hotel is relatively new. At least one staff member will speak English and as female staying on my own I always felt safe. Small restaurant, make a decent coffee. The breakfasts are basic but filling and offer a mix of traditional chinese foods and western produce, Loved the dumplings. Location wise it is a 10 minute walk to the forbidden city and tianmen sq. It is also only a 10 minute walk to one of the large shopping malls and some still standing hutongs. The hotel provides address cards so there was never a problem catching a cab to and from the hotel unless of course the cab tried to not use the metre. Which by the way is illegal.
It is a basic but clean hotel and if that is your expectation you won't be disappointed. The only area it could benefit in is in teaching more of the staff some english particularly as the olympics are just around the corner. And a small fridge in the room wouldn't go astray.

Comfortable Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Serge77

This hotel is a very basic hotel, as any Days Inn hotel. It is a very central hotel to visit the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square and Wangfujing street and its surroundings. The rooms are very small and almost no closet space. I actually thought there wasn't any till I moved the sliding door. The bed is very comfortable and the sheets are high quality. It serves great as a base hotel to get around the city. There were stores around to pick up some drinks and snacks. I only had the breakfast once at the cafe and didn't think it was worth the money. We got down there a little late, that is why there was not much choices left. The rooms I think need a small refrigerator, I have never stayed at any hotel where there was not one available for use. I had to keeps my drinks outside of my window in order to keep it cold. The front desk spoke english very well and answered any questions that I had. The bathroom are an adequate size in my opinion. I know that some said there are small, but they have a sink, shower and toilet what else do you need. Also, the heating system worked very well. The room stayed very warm. I actually had to close the radiators a couple of times because it would get to warm. This has nothing to do with the hotel, but be aware of the first store that is close to the hotel. The store is the first one that you encounter once you exit the hotel and get the street and make a left. They overcharged us twice for drinks and some snacks til we realized he was overcharging us by a lot. The average prices for any drink should be between 3-5 bucks. I stopped going there and walked across the street to the other store and bought stuff there. This store has their drinks on there window display.

Good Feel

by TripAdvisor Member Kiwiscanfly_8

I have stayed in a lot of Days Inn in the States so I felt as it was my first trip to China i would stay somewhere familiar, it turned out to be a good decision I found the Inn to be modern and the rooms clean and tidy , the only small complaint was the bed was a bit on the hard side, also no fridge in the room, mind you with -10 outside placing food etc on the window sill did the job.

The restaurant was good and the buffet breakfast had a good variety with bacon , chicken sausages, egg station , toast and muffins etc along with the standard Chinese food , the prices were good $10NZD, also you could buy filled bread rolls and sandwiches for $2.50NZD.

Most of the reception staff spoke reasonable english and were happy to assit where ever possible.

I had all of my dinners at a small local diner about 2 minutes walk away , it had a lot of locals eating there, the menu had photo,s of the meals and the waitress spoke a little english, had a plate of Pork ribs, plate of pork strips and peppers , bowl of Hot and Sour soup , 4 bottles of beer (500 ml) with a friend cost $14.00 NZD.

Even though I had no time for sightseeing , the people I spoke to who were staying there said it was close to most of the major places to visit.

All in all a very good visit and I will certainly stay there again.

Location! Location! Location!

by TripAdvisor Member asianms

We stayed in a deluxe room from 10-15 March. We found the room to be very comfortable (though the bathroom had a smell). The staff were very accomodating- provided us with a powerboard wthat could be used for our DVD player, phone chargers etc; turned off the radiator which was making the room uncomfortably warm; extra towels/hangers ... For the price we paid (428RMB/nite), it was a real steal. There is a fabulous machine in the lobby that converted major currencies into RMB, so you don't worry about not having enough RMB. The rate I got for exchanging USD to RMB was current and very reasonable.

Great little hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member d_p_richards

Location: excellent- 5 minute walk to the Forbidden City, the major shopping district, and a subway station. Always easy to hail a cab as well, even if the front desk wants to persuade you to 'book a car' through them- don't bother.

Room: Being a new hotel, the rooms are in good shape. The beds are typically Chinese- very hard! Free internet was a good thing here, too. We had no issues with hearing other rooms. There's an in-room safe, and the closet is very small. The only complaint is that the hotel smelled of chemicals- like carpet glue or something, which I imagine is because the hotel is so new. Opening the room window was enough to solve this issue, though. It was also nice to get free water in the room and the bathroom products were more than I got at a lot of other hotels in China.

Service: We had no issues with service- the English at the front desk is quite good. The same cannot be said of housekeeping, but we always managed to creatively communicate. The desk staff were also helpful in writing our destinations in Chinese for our cab drivers- I would highly reccomend this to anyone traveling by cab. It was nearly impossible to instruct the drivers otherwise.

I would definitely recommend staying in this hotel. I also booked through the Days Inn site and managed to get a really good rate online.

Problem Solving Staff In A Bargain Of A Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SHFT54

This hotel had it problems but it is definitely a bargain. The rooms are a little worn and our first room reaked of sewage. The friendly staff moved us to another room as quickly as they could. The front desk is very helpful with almost everything. Beds are more like boxsprings than mattresses but I heard many rooms in Beijing are like this. If you get a taxi chances are they won't know where the hotel is, but just have them drop you off around the corner at the Grand Beijing Hotel. The Forbidden City and Tianeman Square are within easy walking distance and a metro stop is also close. I saw rates as low as $40 a night on some web sites, making this a can't miss deal. The hotel was booked to capacity so book early. This is a solid two and a half star hotel maybe even a three in my book(on a scale of four). This hotel is by no means luxurious or flashy. It's a good decent hotel in a fantastic location. May not be for the finicky or hard to please traveler. My friend was in a deluxe room which was definitley a little nicer than mine. I was extremely pleased with the hotel and bang for buck.

Nice place... Nice people

by TripAdvisor Member jpaulsneedy

This is a great bargain. Yes, the rooms are a little small and take some hangars with you but it was clean, quiet and comfortable. Save money on travelers checks.. you'll have to go to the bank to cash them and there's an ATM in the hotel lobby that gives you all the Yuang you need at a competitive rate. The tour people at the desk are wonderful.. especially Sabrina! I suggest, however, that you get a cab to and from the hotel.. it should run you around Y100. If you book the hotels car it is Y150.

I highly recommend the Li Family Restaurant but make your reservations at least three weeks ahead. It's called Li Jai Cai at 11 Yangang, deshengmen wai hutong, phone [--]. Dinner will run about Y200 ($28 u.s.) or Y300. It is wonderful.

Oh, and if you want olympic baseball hats to take home you should be able to get them easily for $1 each or Y70.

More Than Just a Name

by TripAdvisor Member jestyr2000

Don't let the name fool you, this is unlike any Days Inn you've probably ever seen. We booked this trip with Gate 1 Travel and were very pleased. The hotel is brand new, just opened in October 2007.

The rooms have very modern furniture, a flat screen TV, free high speed internet, huge shower, and are very clean. The location is perfect; just a few minute walk to the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square. There is a huge shopping center just a couple blocks away and several authentic Chinese restaurants literally steps away. We felt totally safe at all hours too.

We had a hot American style buffet breakfast every day including an omelet station. What Days Inn back in the States has an omelet station? There was always someone who spoke English on the staff and they were super helpful with any request we had.

Honestly, this hotel was nicer than many Hilton's I've stayed in. I would definitely recommend it for just about any visitor. My only gripe is that the bed was pretty hard. It didn't seem to matter too much after a long day of walking to see the sights but as far as softness goes, the bed did bear a similarity to the carpeted floor.

Other tips if you choose to stay here:

We did the Great Wall tour offered by the hotel. You might want to plan a different one, or just pay a cab to take you. There were two unnecessary stops to see "tours" of "factories" that make jade and pottery. This was nothing more than forced shopping excursions which ultimately limited the time at the Great Wall.

Since the hotel is new, most cab drivers don't know where it is. The hotel will give you a card, but that won't help much. Have the staff write the major cross streets for you on the card and cab drivers can find it much easier.

Not a Bad Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hodgson13

Stayed at Days Inn for 6 days from March 26 through April 1 2008.
Our Room was a little on the small side (wev'e had bigger rooms in HK) but it was adequete. The toilet ponged a little sometimes through bad drains, but in general the hotel was okay. I booked this Hotel because of the reviews and its proximity, and have to say that in general it was a good decision. The front desk staff were very helpful, particularly Sabrina, she has a great command of English and was happy to help with any problems or just offer advice. Breakfast buffett was good value, but the waiters and waitresses were not so efficient. The hotel is within walking distance for the Forbidden City, Subway and Wanfujing Street. The Outback Steak House is located inside the Beijing Hotel which is about a five minute walk in the direction of Wanfujing Street for those who need some really good Western food. Yes this Hotel lives up to it's previous reviews, and is good value for those on a budget.

Look for a hotel near local retaurants and main sights in Beijing

by world222

Look for a hotel near local restaurants and main sights in Beijing.
The hotel should be located in center of restaurants and night life.
I do not want to pay more than 50.00 USD per night.I will be there 4 nights.
I have review a few hotels Days Inn and Qian Yuan international hotel.
Please advise.

by ellyse

Try Tang Yue Hotel, Nanjing Hotel and Days Inn Forbidden City.
Tons of user reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294212-Beijing-Hotels.html if you want more opinions.

by johnmperry

I usually stay at Zhong An hotel. This is next to main railway station, three-star, and I pay less than 250 RMB a night (about US$35).

by ellyse

I prefer not to stay near major train and long-distance bus stations in China.

Hotel Recommendations

by caterpillar1182

I am looking for 4 or 5 star hotels in Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong that are in good locations near the tourist areas and shopping with good prices. Thanks!

by lindyz

I can tell you our Hotels in Beijing and Shanghai, but they are probably more 3-4 star Hotels, but both with great locations and prices.

In Beijing - Days Inn Forbidden City - this is next door to the Forbidden City and one street away from Wangfujing Street, main area for lots of shopping and restaurants. We are staying 6 nites in September for a total of $588AUD for 2 people, ie. less than $50 per person per nite, no breakfast.

In Shanghai - A-Live Design Hotel - in Nanjing Street, main shopping street in Shanghai. We are paying about 300rmb per room per nite, that is about $30AUD per person again no breakfast, but this price is only that cheap because someone I know booked it direct through the Hotel. The on-line price is about 599rmb per nite I think, but this price is still quite cheap.

I am sure other people will give you ideas of Hotels as well.

by bpritts

In Shanghai, for good tourism and shopping try the JC Mandarin. 5 star, nice service, located in the middle of the tourist areas.

In Hangzhou, try Holiday Inn for English speaking, or also Regal Plaza( has reasonable English capability). Regal Plaza has a better location - right at Wulin Square - but not quite as polished service as the Holiday Inn.

good travels!

Brad

by ellyse

I thought these hotels would be extremely easy to find with a Google?!
Also don't forget to look on TripAdvisor for plenty of hotel reviews.
What price range are you exactly looking for? When are you staying?

Comments