Debao Hotel Beijing

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Ctrip.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Beijing

Great Wall amongst the mistGreat Wall amongst the mist

the city wall of Beijing and Jianlou Towerthe city wall of Beijing and Jianlou Tower

Entrance to Scorpion AlleyEntrance to Scorpion Alley

special effectsspecial effects

Beijing off the beaten path - 1 or 2 days

by Dines

I am joining a tour that will spend one day in Beijing. During our full day of touring - Forbidden City, the Imperial Palace, Tiananmen Square, the Museum of Chinese History and the Gate of Heavenly Peace, and the Yonghe Temple. The tour then goes to Tibet and on.

I am thinking about flying into Beijing one or two days earlier. What might I visit in that time a little off the beaten path - maybe get a better understanding of life in Beijing. Also do I need a guide or can I do it on my own. We like to walk and are comfortable traveling on our own

by DueSer

I really enjoyed exploring the Hutongs-a small residential area north of the Forbidden City. You can walk or take rickshaws to explore the area full of everyday life - houses, schools, markets, some nice old architecture and mercifully less traffic and noise as the rest of Beijing. There's also an old drum tower and a bell tower. The drum tower has performances.

by al2401

A visit to the Great Wall is a must for Beijing - the closest and most popular is at Badaling but other sites are available further away. I visited Simatai which is a 3 hour drive from Beijing and one of the natural and rugged sites. I have heard that it is closed for repairs at present. There are other less crowded sites.

by milliturtle

Not really that off the beaten track. We happened to visit Tian Tan Park on Saturday and apparently that's the day when the locals gather to learn and play, literally! There were group singing (you just need to pick up the sheet music from the group leader and can join in), bands (bring your own instrument), badminton and other sports, line dancing, chess, and of course tai chi. I think this was one of the few times we got to "hang with the locals" on our trip last year.

Oh, most of the activities take place near the Long Corridor.

Travel Tips for Beijing

Steeped in History

by sugarpuff

Beijing is a vivid metropolis with over one hundred flyovers!The city is growing at a staggeringly fast pace, leaving those poorer cities behind. However this city has an extensive past; for a thousand years Beijing saw the Imperial history being carried out here with the Chinese emperor enthroned in what the Chinese believe was the centre of the universe.

First impressions of Beijing today for both foreigners and natives alike, are often of a bewildering vastness.So much land, so much space, but then the nearer the centre you go you will start to see a sprawl of apartments all looking the same in which most of the 12 million Beijingers live.

Beijing is a city that almost everyone can enjoy. Shanghai and Hong Kong may still be where the money is, but it is Beijing that pulls the strings.It is here where most Chinese come to fulfill their dreams of business, political and cultural success. Foreigners on the otherhand find this city as a welcome repose having just probably been roughing it round outback China!

There is so much to tell about this city, but not enough space to do it all in, so I recommend you go to my tip pages to find out more! There I can go into more detail about specific things that you may be more interested in.

LONG LIVE THE MOTHERLAND!

Oishi Snacks, A Philippine Brand, Now Popular Here

by machomikemd

While Buying at a Supermarket, I was surprised to see Oishi Snacks on the aisles of the snack section! Oishi is a japanese word but it was used as a brand in the Philippines by Taipan Ben Chan, a second generation Fil-Chinese with roots in Fujian Province. Oishi is the Number one snack brand in the philippines and he then introduced in to China and other asian countries that nowadays it is one of the most popular snacks here in Beijing.

Note there are different flavors for the oishi brand here in china and in the philippines, for example the scallop flavored potato chips in not available in the philippines. A small pack of Oishi Snacks here costs 2 RMB while a bigger pack costs 3 RMB. Grab one now! Oishi Snacks, now becoming popular here

Took alot I didn't need

by pappagene

I packed, as always, too much and didn't need all that I packed. I over bought on some things. I like the small travel size supplies. Wish I had a better camera!!!!! I took a Mavica FD-75. It did the trick, but I wish it was a megapixel unit. I took over 750 shots. I would never have done that with film.

15: Further Hutong area explore

by FreeCloud

The photos below are the ones taken during our own exploration in a traditional residential area, which would be demolished soon.

We had the greatest time chatting with local people, knowing their current life and their concerns after their houses to be demolished, to make room for an expanded CBD.

Wangfujing and surrounding area

by MylesD about Wangfujing Street

Great place to just sit and watch ppl walk by. Great restaurants and shopping, too. Just around the corner from there is my favorite "Food street" in the world: Donghuamen Street. Anything you could ever imagine...fried on a stick. GREAT food. A bit pricey for tourists tho... Anything except flashy clothes WILL attract stares...no wait, that's anywhere in China.

Comments