Fuxue Hotel Beijing

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 49% less but rated 55% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Beijing

Storefront with lanternsStorefront with lanterns

Decor at one of the Olympic village stationsDecor at one of the Olympic village stations

JumpingNorman at Badaling Great Wall of ChinaJumpingNorman at Badaling Great Wall of China

light bodied tastelight bodied taste

Sightseeing choices

by SandiM

On my last trip to Beijing, I visited the Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, Forbidden City, Silk Market, Summer Palace, Peking University. This time, we will visit Forbidden city (again), the Great Wall (again), the hutongs, and another market. I have time left for one or two extra spots in Bejing to visit and need some suggestions. Here's a little hint: I am interested in taking photos of old architecture, not so well-visited by throngs of tourists. I like long empty corridors or interesting statues etc, sense of serenity. I won't be doing the Ming Tombs or the Old Summer Palace ruins, or any gardens or zoos. Something like the White Cloud Temple or Lama Temple would be ideal (although I'd like something truly unique to explore in terms of ancient architecture). Has anyone found a spot in Beijing where it feels like you are transported back in time?

by nomad7890

Did you get a chance to visit Behai park? While not necessarily feeling like you're transported back in time in all sections of the park, it is such a nice way to mingle with the locals! I took this video while I was there - does not show sights, just a few locals getting together having a good time.

ps. I loved the guy with the baby!

by tenluk

Zhoukoudian or maybe Niu Jie ( Moslem mosque )

by SandiM

Yonghe is on my tentative list, as is a spot called Tianning Si (Heavenly Peace Temple). The architecture in these 2 places is interesting. Also, I like to photograph gargoyles & statues. When I was at the Forbidden Palace, I photographed some brass knockers on the vats and this photo is quite popular amongst my peers in my town. This is what I like to photograph.

by ellyse

I don't suppose you'd consider going out of Beijing? Shenyang is only about 4 hours away from Beijing by D train, and you'll have another (older) Imperial Palace as well as the tombs of the 1st 2 Qing dynasty emperors at your disposal. These sights aren't very much visited.

by SandiM

I would consider it, however it's going to have to be added to my list for my next trip to China. I can only see so much this time! What an amazing country to explore! I have organized a mainly eastern route this time, central last time, and next time will be western, including Xi'an, Lijiang, etc etc. But I've noted the tip and thank you very much, ellyse!

by Badger1492

Try Beihai park, especially on Sundays when all the locals are out. Also walk around the outside of the Forbidden City complex. There are a lot of good photo ops there, too. Check out Houhai lake too.

Travel Tips for Beijing

See the great wall and walk or...

by jmendrik

See the great wall and walk or bike through the old neighbourhoods (Hutons) and markets. Some old Hutons: just east of the forbidden city and in the region of the Bell tower and the Drum tower.
See my webpage:
http://www.mendrik.com/index_china.htm The food. Ask for an assortment of chinese food and your whole table is put full of the niceast variety you could imagine.

Tea tasting

by pettevi

You can stop by any tea shop and have a taste of their offerings. The tea girls will prepare the tea infront of you and while you are at it tell you a short story. They are very attractive and it is difficult to leave the shop without buying some. The prices aren't that bad either.

Mountain Resort of the Emperors

by Willettsworld

In 1703, Chengde, (located approx 150 miles, 250km north-east of Beijing), was chosen by the Kangxi Emperor as the location for his summer residence. Constructed throughout the eighteenth century, the Mountain Resort (known in Chinese as Bishu Shanzhuang, literally "avoiding the heat mountain villa") was used by both the Yongzheng and Qianlong emperors. Since the seat of government followed the emperor, Chengde was a political centre of the Chinese empire during these times. The town of Chengde built up to the south of the Mountain Resort and is a good place to stay overnight. The whole Resort can be divided into four areas: these are the palace area, lakes area, plains area and mountain area. Outside of this are the "Eight Outer Temples" of which Puning Temple with its 22-meter high Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara statue and Putuo Zongcheng Temple, modeled after the Potala Palace of Tibet, are the most famous. Chengde has a different feel to it than other large Chinese towns as it's fairly modern but with plenty of sights. More can be found on my Chengde page below:

Pearls before Pigs

by anders1975 about Hongqiao Market (Pearl Market)

Five storey building with everything you need. In the basement there's a food market - not a food court - the ground floor offers you electronics and luggage, on the first floor you'll find clothing for men and women, the second floor is filled with clothes, antiques and pearls, the same on the third, but mostly antiques and cheap freshwater pearls here and on the fourth you'll find exlusive pearl stores where even Bill Clinton, Tony Blair and Mrs Putin have been photographed shopping (or maybe just looking). It's an old indoor market place, but we found the clothes cheaper here than on Yachow (new)market. Pearls, I guess. But we went for sports gear like Canadian Goose and North Face outfits. It's all about bargaining, but I bought one Canadian Goose jacket, one North Face jeans for skiing and a North Face jacket for 610 RMB. Initially they asked 900 RMB for a jacket. If I just wanted one piece I think I could get it for 250 RMB.

We wnt to a variet of clubs....

by DV8-SPY

We wnt to a variet of clubs. Let's not forget that communism does still exist, so we were rather astounded when we found the DISCO MAN night club. Alot of young people dancing in this Loud Enormous night club, as anyone else would Canada. If not more....We were also rather, or very i should say, that it is also a Gay Bar. The gay people tend to hang out in the back bar.
It's gay / Straight...it is very diversified in there. Everybody there was in perfect harmony. It was basically a place to party regardess of sexual orientation. very casual

Comments