High-Tech Mansion BUPT Beijing

BUPT Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Ctrip.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Beijing

One of my favorite shots I got of the squareOne of my favorite shots I got of the square

An ad I saw while waiting for the metro.An ad I saw while waiting for the metro.

capcap

stewed veggies and porkstewed veggies and pork

Beijing Opera

by suzelsand

How to go to the Beijing Opera (Liyuan Juchang) in Qianmen Hotel from the Qianmen metro station?
Thanks.

by ellyse

It's almost 3 km to walk so I don't recommend walking. If you take a taxi it should be 10-11 RMB.
It would be more convenient to alight at line 2 Hepingmen stop, then take bus 7, 15 or 70 to the venue.

by suzelsand

thank you very much.

by ellyse

Instead of just saying thank you, you could also rate the answer. ;)

Travel Tips for Beijing

Map of Ming Tombs

by blue_sky04

One of the main attractions which you can visit in Beijing is the Ming Tombs.
This is the burial ground of 13 Emperors out of 17 Emperors of Ming Dinasty.
This map shows the Ming Tombs' unique arrangement. Sacred Road is an interesting part of the Tombs which displays unique animal and human figures believed as sacred & the guardians of the tombs.

Outdoor sporting

by Lemonita

On my numerous visits to hutongs around Beijing, I came upon these bright yellow outdoor fitness machines.

They are all free of course and I just thought it is a very good idea as I see young and old people doing physical exercise. We can find them in a lot of hutongs, on the streets. I have even tried a few of them and they are like the ones we can find in indoor fitness centres.

Dashanzi Beijing Artist Community

by m_guilfoile

Ever get templed-out or churched-out while on vacation? It happened to me and I'm sure it can happen to you after a few days in Beijing.

If you enjoy art and are open to buying I strongly suggest that you check out the Dashanzi Art Galleries in Beijing.

The art scene is China is exciting because it is booming with energy perhaps more so than anywhere else in the world. As China embraces more capitalist principles and liberalizing freedom of speech this is paving the way for a cultural renaissance that is just beginning to bud.

A bit over a decade ago, artists were given a fixed salary in China whether they created awesome work or crap. Of course this salary was meager and being an artist was not a glorified career. Now, an artist can be paid exactly what is deemed worthy in the eyes of the beholder. At the same time there is so much revolutionary freedom of expression both social and political.

The area is teeming with galleries admist a forest green environmnet inside run down factories. I was stunned.

The prices are much more reasonable than most places in the world except Vietnam which has some great art work though the image is tarnished by the proliferation of fakes and knock-offs.

Enjoy!

I added the name of a gallery where I bought some art. You can use this as a reference point.

Silk Market

by socrates_07

In the Silk Market you find mostly clothes, though there are a few antique stalls as well and a couple of stalls selling ethnic clothing and bedsheets. You will need to bargain, though its a little bit harder here because there are more tourists. Good buys are silk dressing gowns, ties and scarves. Most of the designer labels are fake.
More and more people hanging around to sell music CDs, DVDs and CD-ROM games. (they can be knocked down to 10 Yuan) I have to admit, I didnt trust the quality so I never tried to purchase such CDs. It depends how good you are in bargain. My expericance: If you are a Westerner the local salesmen try to sell the stuff much higher than they would ask for local customer. Well, thats no surprice. But for me it was a suprise that you can bargain up to 60-70%. In the evening it was easier to get such a price. And, maybe I had another advantage. My chinese girlfriend accompanied me. Nevertheless, if the salesmen don't reduce the 'original' price to 50%, leave the stall.... and it won't be a surprice if they follow you to give you another, better price. So, don't forget: How much can you expect to spend? It depends how good you are in bargain.

There are several interesting...

by Krystynn

There are several interesting options. (P.S. The Beijing of today is very different from the Beijing during your mother's time!).

We managed to get tickets to the Beijing Acrobatic Show at the Chaoyang Theater, located at the corner of Dongsanhuan Beilu. Although I personally don't dig such shows, I found the performers amazing. They could contort their bodies into all sorts of things. Hm...

We also checked out the Hard Rock Cafe joint at Landmark Towers. For the avid Hard Rock Cafe merchandise collectors, you may like to know that the products sold here are really dirt cheap! For example, a denim HRC jacket that would cost you US$100 in London (if I can remember correctly), costs only US$25 here! Alot of foreigners and expats frequent the Hard Rock Cafe here.... And for the party-animals, there are lots of good discos too... (usually located within the premises of a 5-star hotel).

Comments