1 Caiyuanjie, Xuanwuqu, Beijing, Beijing, 100053, China

IHG Agoda.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Taking Beijing by Storm

We recently spent 6 nights at the Central Plaza and thoroughly enjoyed it.Being out of the CBD was a great way to see locals going about their daily business whilst still only a short taxi ride to all major attractions.All staff were excellent ,most with a good command of English.None were better than Storm Li who presented us with a set of cards written in English and Chinese to present to taxi drivers to get us to all of the tourist attractions and home again.The cards gave a brief description of the attraction,taxi fare,subway details.What a great innovation in a country where the language barrier can be confronting.Would stay again for sure

• tarced's Profile Photo

Attentive Staff, Comfortable Accomodations

Upon check-in, which was very late, we discovered there was a mix-up with our rooms. We had reserved two rooms and requested that they be connecting since we had two young children. We were willing to split up (one adult one child) but the hotel staff would not hear of it and gave us a complimentary upgrade. The beds were luxurious (which felt wonderful after full days of sightseeing), the rooms were spacious, the bathrooms were clean, and the staff was very attentive finding an adapter/converter for my hair straightener (which I later found!). The staff's attentiveness carried over to the restaurant where they had an extensive breakfast buffet. My son knocked over a glass accidentally and the staff went out of their way to console him. The staff also insisted on helping both of my children make their hot chocolates every day.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Good Service

Excellent hotel. Excellent rooms, excellent service. Rated four stars, it was better than many five stars.

The only negative point was its location. It was announced as located, in the centre, and, indeed, that’s not a lie. But Beijing is so big that the centre is also a very wide area, and, there, the hotel is placed in a residential area.

Going out means to stroll in empty (dark) streets or… to take a taxi.

Unique Quality: Very good buffet for breakfast or dinner.

• maac56's Profile Photo

Great Value Hotel

I stayed 12 nights in late October 2006. Although the Hotel is called Central, it is not Central, but as Beijing is so vast, no one Hotel is handy to all the attractions. Use of Taxi's is very inexpensive and recommended as the mode of travel.

Unique Quality: The staff i met were extremely helpful and knowledgable.

More about Holiday Inn Central Plaza

run, don't walk, to the Holiday Inn Central Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member redlands

We selected the Holiday Inn Central Plaza in spite of the off the beaten path location because of the number one rating at tripadvisor.com. It turned out to be a a very wise decision as this is an outstanding hotel. The location was never a problem. Taxis were available around the clock at the front door of the hotel. A taxi to Tiananmen square was only 20 Yuan, about $2.50 USD, and took very little time. Taxis from the hotel to more distant locations such as Behai Park, the Lama Temple, and the Summer Palace typically cost between 25 and 55 Yuan. A taxi from the airport cost us 111 Yuan and to the airport was 160 Yuan.

Another review at tripadvisor.com gave us the idea to come prepared with a photo of the hotel from this website and also a map and Mandarin language directions from the airport to the hotel that we copied off of the hotel's own website. This assured smooth sailing in the taxi from the airport to the hotel. The business card of the hotel that has instructions for taxi drivers has an even better map that worked well for our many taxi rides after arrival.

We reserved the hotel through the Holiday Inn website in the United States. We had a printout of the reservation for two standard rooms with a confirmation number and credit card guarantee. For some unexplained reason, the hotel's record only showed a reservation for one room and there were no additional standard rooms available. Fortunately, the well trained and eager to please front desk staff offered us a two bedroom two bath suite. The suite was comfortable, quiet, and spacious.

The hotel is very well organized and the operation is run efficiently with meticulous attention to guest services. For example, when the housekeeper did not understand something that we requested she went right over to the phone, dialed a number, and handed the phone to us. A fluent English speaker then listened to our request and informed the housekeeper.

The hotel's Salt & Pepper Restaurant offers excellent and moderately priced buffet breakfasts and dinners that we thoroughly enjoyed.

The swimming pool temperature was appropriately warm and the pool was clean.

The public areas of the hotel are bright, airy, and modern. Every single person on the staff that we encountered was competent and friendly.

When I return to Beijing in the future I will be sure to stay at this remarkable hotel. If you decide to stay here I am confident that you will find it to be a comfortable oasis in a bustling city.

A Gem of a Place - Excellent Service!

by TripAdvisor Member JenniferPhoenix

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Central Plaza for three nights. The stay was for our first nights in China and a wonderful place to refresh after the long flight from the States.

The hotel is new and clean - and the service is wonderful. We recevied the best advise of our trip to China from Jens - one of the Hotel Managers. He was most patient and informative in answering all of our questions.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to everyone looking for a nice quiet and clean place to stay. We did not find the location all that difficult, as it was a 10 RMB taxi ride to the Metro - which gets you just about everywhere in Beijing anyway! Also, the breakfast is FABULOUS and worth getting included in your room rate. We booked the hotel through the Holiday Inn web-site and got breakfast for two for only 40 RMB additional in the room rate.

You'll like this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bshort4

My son and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Central Plaza for three nights the first week in October on recommendations from others on this board who had stayed there. Great hotel---great food---great service---and don't believe people who say the hotel is far out of the way from everything in Beijing---it's not. From the Forbidden City to the Summer Palace to the Temple of Heaven a taxi ride was never more than 20 minutes and a couple of dollars. We never had a problem with a taxi refusing to take us back to the hotel from anywhere in Beijing. The hotel gave us a card with directions in Chinese and we never had a problem. We stayed in an Executive Suite and enjoyed the amenities of the Executive lounge, free breakfast, free internet in the room and you could take 6 sodas or waters from the rooms mini-bar each day without charge. The beds were SOFT and bathrooms were nice. If you've ever stayed in other hotels in China you will appreciate the soft beds. If you wish do eat breakfast at the hotel and it is not included in our room price it will cost you about $11 American. The breakfast is great for everything you could imagine eating in the states---very nice---Chinese food also if you prefer. I used the electrical converter in my room for my battery charger for my AA batteries and I plugged it into the wrong outlet and blew the charger and asked the hotel to let me know which plug to use and when they found out I had blown out the charger they went out and bought me a new one without my asking----I felt bad about that---entirely my fault. When I checked out there were some charges for phone calls on my bill and charges for the mini bar that were not mine and when I said they were wrong they immediately took them off the bill. I will definitely stay in this hotel again when I return to Beijing again.

Fantastic Service

by TripAdvisor Member ashley26

This hotel is a great deal for the money - it'd be even better if you get breakfast included in that rate.

However, the location of the hotel is not superb and a cab ride will cost you between 30-50RMB. The official website indicates that there is a complimentary area service shuttle and a complimentary subway station shuttle - this is not accurate and quite deceiving. Bus No. 10 is 3min walking, but then you have to transfer and buses have a tendency to eat up time. But if you stay at the more centrally located Holiday Inns (either Lido or Crowne Plaza), then you're paying twice as much for a room plus cab fares. Therefore, even with not-so-great location your cab expenses from location to hotel should only be about $10-12USD a day and going anywhere in Beijing will take at least 20minutes.

And there's no way the other branches can beat the service.

Make contacting Mr. Storm a must-do. He goes above and beyond and definitely has a "can-do" attitude. He treats you with the utmost respect and even checks in with you at the end of the days he arranged for you. He arranged a driver to take me to Jinshanling/Simatai Great Wall, so I paid less for the excursion and wasn't on a tour guide's schedule. And it was the same driver to take me to the acrobat show (also arranged by Mr. Storm) and to the airport. Mr. Storm is genuinely concerned about his guest's experience in Beijing and does everything in his power to make sure it's a positive one.

A great place for the value.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Worf

This hotel was fabulous!

Upon check-in, we were told that the deluxe, non-smoking room that I had reserved was not available and that we would be upgraded to an executive room at no extra charge.

The room was large and very beautifully decorated. The king size bed was very comfortable and came with a down comforter. The white marble bathroom was absolutely gorgeous, with both a tub and a shower in a glass enclosure. There was also a sitting area and a desk with free internet access for the first 24 hours.

Breakfast at the Executive Lounge was included in the very reasonable price of the room and was excellent. On the main level are 2 restaurants: a more Western restaurant and a Chinese restaurant. Both were excellent, although a little more expensive than we had paid anywhere else in Beijing.

Contrary to its name, the hotel is not really central and although taxis are really cheap in Beijing, some drivers had a hard time finding it; some even refused to take us there (this can be explained by the fact that the hotel is only 2 years old).

But none of these little inconveniences mattered when looking at the bigger picture. This hotel is fabulous; I would definitely stay there again and again and I would certainly recommend it.

Just excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member Claude-George

I chose the Central Plaza on the basis of previous reviews and was not disappointed. It is an excellent place to stay for holidays. It proved worth to accept the offered upgrading to the "Executive Club Level" (150 yuans per day) which included taxes, an excellent breakfast buffet, full internet access, drinks and evening snacks in a quiet and cosy lounge at the 16th floor.
As pointed out by several other reviewers, the location of the hotel is not central but it is not a problem: bus 10 is around the corner and brings you directly to the Tien-anmen Square and the Forbidden City as well as several underground stations. By the way, using public transportation means is fun, cheap, safe and provides a good opportunity to watch - and sometimes meet - local people. I can only recommend it.
Mr Storm, the loyalty manager, is a jewel. Do not hesitate to contact him as he endeavors to make you feel happy during your stay. He greatly contributed to my full satisfaction with an 11-day holiday in Beijing.
Some travelers seem to encounter difficulties at Capital Airport with taxi drivers not knowing the hotel and its location. I printed beforehand a large copy of a picture of the hotel posted in the section "Candid traveler photos": it mentions its full name in the Chinese writing. It really helped reaching the hotel without difficulty.

wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dagobert

we have been 2 nights in october in this hotel and got a room in the bizz floor. the room was very clean and comfortable.
we booked over the holiday-inn webside and payed approx. 95 US-$ for one night.
the staff is very helpful and friendly. the breakfast buffet ( included in this rate ) is really excellent.
we have been coming to beijing by train from shanghai.
the taxi drive from the train station to the hotel takes 40 minutes and cost you approx. 3 US-$.
because there is no city-center in beijing it doesn´t matter that you are not so close to the forbidden city or tianamen place. a taxi ride is mostly 30 minutes to all important tourist attractions, but be sure that you are in the second ring.
when you want to arrange a tour to the great wall by youself ( strictly recommended ) then ask the guest relation managers in the hotel, mister storm or mister gossen. they will arrange a private trip for you. i recommend a trip to mutianyu because there are not so many people as in badaling.
dont leave your hotel with the adress-card written in chinese !!!

by gupta_prash

me and my wife are planning to stay in holiday inn central plaza. is it close to a subway station. how does one travel to tinanmen square/forbidden city. how much a taxi would cost to these to places. also is there a shuttle service to-fro to the airport from the hotel

cheers
Prash

by yvr

There is no shuttle operated by HI from the airport to the hotel property. Be prepared to fend off the rude and aggressive taxi drivers at the airport that will swarm you when you leave the departures area of the airport. The hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle from the hotel to Chang Chun Jie subway station which would save you taxi money.

by Badger1492

Taxis in BJ are cheap compared to the West. Your hotel is sort of at the opposite end of the city from the airport. What I would do is take a regular city taxi from the airport (follow the signs and wait in the line for taxis. Have a paper with you with the name of the hotel printed in Chinese characters). The taxi ride will probably be less than 100 RMB. Another option is to take the train from the airport to the city, then a taxi to your hotel from there. You can look at the airport website for more info. Also the hotel website might have some info.

Once you are at you hotel, use the subway as much as possible; it is cheap and very convenient though walking to some places from the stations can be long. Take taxis in town for short trips. Traffic can be bad at times and some cross-town taxi trips can take a while.

by al2401

There are few if no shuttles to the airpost in Beijing - the taxi to and from the airport is about 100CNY ( you also need to add the cost of the toll gate which is 10CNY ).
Taxis and public transport in Beijing are not expensive but you need to know where you are going. Always have your destination written in Chinese characters - as well as details of your hotel. While the people are very friendly most do not speak English so you need to show them where you need to go.

by gupta_prash

Thanks Guys for all the help. i think i'll stick with taxi. thanks again

by ellyse

Huh? What do you mean, no airport shuttles at Beijing airport? There're 9 different airport shuttle routes, going to various parts of Beijing.

Comments