Hotel Kapok Beijing

No.16 Donghuamen Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100006, China

Expedia.com Agoda.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• aferminj's Profile Photo

Trendy "Designer" Hotel

Very different room design, beautiful yet it would seem that such stylish design turns into inconvenience and renders the room a bit uncomfortable. For instance, restroom walls are crystal, and it does not have a door, rather a curtain; so you better make sure your companion is a spouse or significant other.
    Service staff are English proficient, extremely friendly and helpful. On the morning of our return, we were snowed in, one of the volunteer staff weathered the snow/rain and went out to the middle of the road to get us a taxi, walking up and down the street until he finally grabbed on for us.
    Restaurant is good, but a bit overpriced compared to similar hotels, and particularly to nearby restaurants (including those across the street.
    My major problem with this hotel is that it is very far away from the subway, so you have to rely on taxis, which are not easy to come by in the Hutongs and in some circumstances (weather, rush hour) may result impossible to get.

Unique Quality: Very close to the Forbidden Palace, If you are staying for a couple of nights and this is one of your goal attractions, this hotel is a good choice.

More about Hotel Kapok Beijing

Emperors Inn Beijing

by qin

you may want to consider "EMPERORS INN BEIJING". It's a boutique hotel adjacent to Forbidden city. They have very nice bar terrace and roof where you can look out the Forbidden city, extremely beautiful at sunset time. http://www.theemperor.com.cn

Another hotel next to Forbidden city is called "Hotel Kapok", in contemporary design. http://kapokhotelbeijing.com/. It has shopping mall, walking streets around, very conveniently located.

Cream of the Crop, Kapok rises to the top!

by TripAdvisor Member misterkhan

This review is fresh off the oven, having returned from china only this morning.

Kapok is without doubt, a great hotel, situated minutes from the forbidden city and tianamen square. It is one of those boutique hotels which break away from the norms set by bigger chains, so if you're looking for something like the sheraton or the crown plaza etc, this is not the hotel for you.

However if you're looking for a complete and might i add, positive change, then Hotel Kapok is the place to stay. From outside, it has a modest appearance, but the minute you step inside the hotel, you know you've made the right choice. Built by a famed architect, its built on minimalistic lines, and the use of cubes and spaces and lights is brilliant.

We stayed in a fashion room, and had a balcony as well, not that we ever used it, but it was there, and aesthetically pleasing it was.

The washroom is another one of kapok's trump cards, being built entirely of glass, and that too see through. so watch out, somebody's watching you :)

In general, there is a massive problem of communication in beijing if you don't know chinese, and kapok was no exception. However, the staff was very helpful, and did whatever we asked of them, without much fuss. the only issue was that we had to patiently explain to them what we wanted.

if there is one thing we missed at the hotel, then it was a buffet breakfast, but that's not a point deducted, just a point not won.

To cap it all, kapok is a brilliantly designed hotel, and a great place to come back to, after a hectic day's walking, sightseeing and shopping in Beijing.

This place doesn't compare with the Park Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member goingshopping

Last year we stayed at the Park Plaza down the road (note there are 2 Park Plazas in Beijing) and unfortunately this year we booked late and the Park Plaza was full. We tried Hotel Kapok but it compares badly. We booked the fashion suite and while it looks pretty - the shower had holes in the silicon around the base and it leaked all over the floor, they offered a kettle in the room but you needed to pay if you wanted to have tea or instant coffee satchels to use with the boiled water (thank heavens for the all night 7/Eleven type shop in front of the hotel), there was an oil burner in the room but you needed to pay RMB4 for a candle to use it.... They also made a mess with our booking and had only 1 night registered instead of 2 and before they even allowed us to check in and go to our room after a long drive, they made me go to the business centre downstairs and print out my reservation. Overall not impressed with the service and I have seen a lot more stylish hotels. I continue to recommend the Park Plaza in Beijing.

Couldn't Find Fault

by TripAdvisor Member Gillian33

I've just spent a week in the Kapok Hotel in Beijing and would highly recommend the hotel to anyone who wants a peaceful retreat in the heart of the city. The staff all spoke good English, very unusual but extremely useful over there, were polite and cheerful and went out of their way to be helpful. It's a boutique hotel with 89 rooms and would suit couples, single travellers or buisiness people.
I was upgraded to a deluxe room free of charge, without asking and would recommend this grade if you can afford it. The room was huge and contained a relaxing area with 2 sofas and a coffee table; a long desk with a computer, flat screen monitor (there's fast, free internet usage in all rooms in the hotel) and flat screen TV; a refreshment centre (well stocked fridge, glass shelves, kettle and an area to make drinks etc all enclosed behind double doors); a huge bed, a bedside table and 2 other low tables with large table lamps.
The bathroom was amazing! It was separated from the bedroom by a wall of glass and a glass door (no problems with privacy as there were curtains on the inside and outside of the glass). It had a circular, freestanding bath measuring 1.5 metres in diameter, a matching circular wash basin and circular toilet, plus a separate shower unit. There was a linen basket to drop towels in if you want them changed, weighing scales (seems standard in China), 2 stools and the bathroom was large enough to need 2 waste bins!
Everything, without exception, in the room was modern, stylish, carefully designed, spacious and well thought out. It was a pleasure to spend time in the room and in the hotel in general.
The lobby, bar, restaurant, gym and other areas were similarly stunningly designed and I'm sure feng shui was high on their list of priorities when the hotel was built.
Breakfast and other meals in the hotel were excellent too and, of course, the service was impeccable.
I've thought hard, but can't actually think of any ways in which the hotel could be improved.
The hotel is in a quiet part of the street, 100 metres or so from the side of the Forbiden City, has a famous night food market at the other end of the street 5 minutes' walk away and is 6 or 7 minutes' walk from the main shopping area of Wangfujing and the Oriental Plaza, so it's not far from a lively area with plenty to do in the evenings. I felt very safe walking around the area at night.
I can highly recommend the Dragonfly Spa, a 2 minutes walk down the road towards the Forbidden City and open until 1am. It's also mentioned in various travel guides and I was glad to have had massages there. They're very professional but very cheap compared with British prices!
If you're wondering where to stay in Beijing, don't hesitate to book this hotel - you won't regret it!

Good boutique hotel in BJ

by TripAdvisor Member jkofman

I recommend this hotel to fellow travellers. Very good location for seeing the main sights. Friendly staff whose English is a lot better than my Mandarin, but not perfect. We had our 2yr old daughter with us and the hotel provided a 'baby bed' - - standard collapsible baby cot w/ bedding - - without hesitation. Rooms are decent size, good shower, very clean and modern decor. Really nothing to complain about, so perhaps I should give it 5 *s. On making the reservation, I called the hotel and negotiated the quoted rate down a little over 10%. Our rate strangely included breakfast for 1 person per day although we were 2 adults. As we were staying for 2 nights I asked at check-in if we could have our breakfast for 2 persons on the same which was readily agreed to. There is a collection of small shops and food shacks across the road where we took our other breakfast.

I feel the hotel provides very good value and a pleasant experience. I stay at the Westin when in BJ on business but if I came for another holiday weekend I would stay again at the Kapok.

Excellent Hotel, Great Value, Amazing Location

by TripAdvisor Member verymodest

We just finished our 3 nights at this hotel, and it is really top notch excellent. There are many factors that make this one of the top hotels in Beijing. First, the location is outstanding, just 3 minute walk to Forbidden City and 5-10 minutes to Tiananmen Square. In the opposite direction, you walk for 5 minutes, and you're in the commercial center of Beijing. Despite the central location, the hotel is on a quiet street with not a lot of noise. There is a bicycle rental place just across the river (2 minutes walk), so if you want to do a bicycle tour, it's very easy. Also, there is a really great massage place and spa just 1 minute walk towards the Forbidden City, where you can get anything from Chinese to Foot massage at very good prices (we payed an equivalent of US $20 for 1 hour Chinese massage (which by the way is kind of harsh but interesting to experience).

Second, the rooms are spectacular. We booked a basic double but got upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor and it was completely 5-stars, including a computer with connection to fast internet, flat screen tv, a large spa-sized bathtub, and an overall clean and deluxe finish. The bed was maybe a bit hard, but that's not much of a complaint. The hotel overall is very clean and stylish.

Finally, the staff are very helpful and friendly. They helped us arrange a car to the Great Wall, and the price they gave us was actually the same as what Lonely Planet quotes as a minimum. By the way, if you're planning to see the GW, go early in the morning (we left at 6am) and head south on the wall when you get to Badaling. We did this and had the wall all to ourselves for 2 hours. It was magical. By the time we were coming back, the tour buses have just pulled up, and there were literally thousands of people there.

Overall, I highly recommend Kapok. In fact, if I ever came back to Beijing, I would not stay anywhere else. This one is a gem.

Excellent location - modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Serrano_33

I can only subscribe to what the other travellers have said about the KAPOK. The location is great if you want to tackle all sightseeing spots in central Beijing, Forbidden City, Tienanmen etc. The Hotel rooms have nice and modern furnishing, bathrooms are striking. Downside is the WLAN connections not working and the PC available in each Room only being able to display Windows messages, boxes in Mandarin.
The beds are hard....as others have mentioned which is the only downside.
If you plan to leave for business trips to areas outside the first 2 rings in the early morning, expect heavy morning traffic and bear in mind that your taxi trip from the KAPOK may take quite a long time due. We ended up taking the METRO at WANFUJIN after havint been resufed by several taxis to take us to Ring 5 due to the congestions.

Ready for the Olympics

by TripAdvisor Member JHBg

I travelled to this hotel with my husband and 17 month old daughter. We booked directly with the hotel to ensure we got a cot for the baby, and they were prepared to match the lowest available price we had found (we paid 768RMB for a double, no breakfast). We could have paid extra and gotten one breakfast thrown into the price, but there is no need - there are so many little shops and restaurants around - including the standard fast food places in a busy shopping mall about 5 minutes walk away.

We were very pleasantly surprised when, on arrival, we could check in prior to the usual check-in time, and were upgraded to a suite for no extra cost! The suite was on the second floor and I worried about the street noise, but there was no problem in the end. While you can hear a few cars, there is very little noise at night.

The suite was comfortable and spacious. One thing I was concerned about was the glassed bathroom - but there are two sets of curtains, block out on the inside and privacy curtains on the outside of the glass wall of the bathroom - so if you are travelling with someone who needs privacy, this can be assured. We used the curtain at night when we didn't want to wake our daughter with bright light.

Another bonus was a free internet connection in the room (the suite provided a computer). There was tea and coffee making facilities but no free tea or coffee - so bring some (or buy some in the many tea shops) if you want to save some money. There is a little shop just across the road where we got drinks and milk for the baby.

The staff are friendly and all speak some English.

The only downsides were: a very hard bed (I am getting used to this in this part of the world) and the fact that our credit card deposit had been lost when we were checking out. So far there has been no unexpected charge on our credit card, but I am keeping my eye on our account, just in case.

Who can introduce some good hotels in Beijing with special cultural atmosphere?

by neverrain

My uncle will be in Beijing this October. He has been Beijing several times on business, but this time he wants to have a totally cultural trip. Also he wants to find a hotel that is special and antique, and he will be happy if he can stay in an old place that can make him experience the most cultural life. Who can introduce some proper hotels to me? Thx.

Re: Who can introduce some good hotels in Beijing with special cultural atmosphere?

by ellyse

Is he coming in the 1st week of October? What's his expected price range?

by walterwu

What about this:

Cui Ming Zhuang Hotel Beijing

some booking website:

It is within 5 mins walking distance to the Forbidden City.

Wanted to stay there when I visited in 2004 but didn't.

by polartraveller

Try the China Beijing Hotel (http://www.chinabeijinghotel.com.cn/en/index.html) right next to the Forbbiden city). They used to have full "Chinese suites" featuring very nice redwood furnitures including the classic beds. You need to call or email them to see if these rooms are still available as they had gone through a total renovation couple of years back and I have not stayed there since. The dinning rooms are also great.

by newyorknut

Here is a good hotel which I think is exactly what you want. My sister was in Beijing this August, and she stayed in a quadrangle courtyard hotel, Jihousecn Hotel. You know what a courtyard is? People living in Beijing in old times lived in courtyards. This hotel is just like an old house of local people, and it makes you feel close to old Chinese culture. The decoration is classic but the facilities are international so you will not have to worried about any inconvenience staying there.

by qin