Howard Johnson Paragon Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 9, 2013

IT WAS AWESOME

Early November 2001. It was a kind of `perfect storm`
Picture this- I cant even remember who, but was a friend of a friend or? anyways I mentioned I wsa going to Beijing and I was told he would see about getting a special rate as they had some connection to HOJO or was travel agent or ..... like I said, I dont even remember how, but we ended up with a very special rate- and I totally remember the rate- $30usd. So it was soon after Sept 11 2001 and people still were not flying much. Im not exaggerating when I say as we were arriving at the hotel, they were PUTTING THE HOWARD JOHNSON SIGN up at the front entrance. I remember hearing something about it just recently becoming this brand. The taxi driver didnt know it. I showed him PARAGON and he was good.

So we pull up to this nice but nothing too special looking hotel and it becomes immediately obvious that this was not a howard johnson even 2 weeks ago. We walk in, dressed nicely from out flight ( never wear jeans, always shirt with collar so you are considered for upgrade to business class) We looked ok, but apparently we were VIPs.
It took awhile to figure out what was going on but this is what I THINK happened
NEW Howard Johnson property ( first in china i believe) and as I mentioned, this was opening week or whatever. So I guessed that the official welcome visit from head office in America was planning to be there but cancelled due to 9-11 ( just an educated guess) So here we are- well dressed. from canada. booked at the last minute with some discount related to the company or ?????
So again, this is all just me guessing, but it makes sence since we are greeted with a bit of panic and people nervous or scared like they were dealing with important people
not guests or even important guests, we were VVIP and soon the General Manager was summoned. I spoke to her on the phone at first and I didnt clue in yet as to what was happening. I was in Beijing so I was a bit in awe. everything was new and interesting, so I didnt totally appreciate what was taking place. We are escorted to our room. BIG room. Suite with seperate bedroom and very big/very nice. Unfortunately it was quite noisy and I was a bit reluctant, but asked for a different room.
Moments later we were whisked to a new room. Also very nice. perhaps smaller but still a suite and very impressive.
Maybe 10 minutes later there was a phone call, the desk clerk apologising for such a small room and the bellman was on his way to take us to a better room.
I tried to protest, but soon enough we were in our third room. bigger, better, WOW the very best of the rooms so far.......
Starting to settle a third time I noticed it was a non smoking room.
I was really reluctant to call, but had to.
OH my goodness, so sorry, please forgive us, and again, a bellman was there to move us yet again

room number 4 was just crazy. A huge room with fresh flowers,orchids, HUGE and so luxurious. It had a bar/kitchennette sort of off to the side. there were 2 or three steps down to the main living area. Amazing furnishings, looked very old and museum quality ( artwork and some furniture) We were stunned.the bedroom was separate and very large. more flowers. a room sized walk-thru closet area and an amazing master bath. HUGE bathroom. Huge jaccuzzi tub and big shower. the bathroom had to be 500sq ft
more fresh flowers in the bathroom.and not just a small display of a few carnations.... the bathroom had exotic flowers and orchids. a HUGE display and other smaller ones.
the bedroom same, with 3 or 4 big bouquets and the biggest most colourful flowers, orchids, so beautiful and fragrant.
the main room had numerous `small ` arrangements, plus one immense vase filled on the dining table. there was a good sized tree as well.
We were blown away and still confused a bit. and thinking we need to confirm the price and make sure we were not going to be charged $1000 per night.

We had settled and the initial awe had subsided a bit, and decided to venture out and check out Beijing. Then the phone rang. The General Manager or big boss was officially inviting us to the city and the hotel. The whole story was becoming clearer. We were thanked for making it to the grand opening, too bad the other group had to cancel but they were delighted and honoured we came. We had 3 days/2 nights in the city and I was expected to take a tour of the property. Drinks, presents, food, lots of behind the scenes access.Many future plans were expained. This will be the main restaurant, this is the bar, the spa is expanding, there will be a new walkway access to the mall, etc etc
Then dinner and more business talk. I had to downplay my importance, I am nobody, this isnt really an official visit, yes I am here for the opening but you are wasting your time with trying to impress me.save it for the big guys, they will be here sooner than you know. This went over well, and I explained we were on a very short trip and were hoping to see some of the city and sights.
I think she was relieved and also soooo busy, she was just happy to not have to deal with me
Still, VIP treatment. Room service/restaurant/SPA/ ... we could have really taken advantage, but we didnt, mostly because we just wanted to go explore!
Limo back to the airport!

thanks HOJO

Directions: central location

cybertraveler14's Profile Photo

Noisy with rude staff and small rooms

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 16, 2008

This hotel really let us down. We had trouble finding the entrance and ended up going through the attached mall and eventually through a small gift shop to get to the lobby. They are undergoing renovations, so the lobby is a complete mess with a temporary check-in center setup on tables. The noise from the construction was loud enough to shake some parts of the building!. We had a triple room and were given a room on the 6th floor which barely had enough room to move around in (couldn't even access the wardrobe, which was the only place for storage, or safe since a bed was in front of it), The room's windows overlooked the interior dining room on the 5th floor and was very noisy. While the beds were very comfortable and the room was in decent condition, the air conditioner didn't work--it pretty much just blew out room temperature air, so the room was very stuffy. We complained and asked for a different room, but were told that we had to pay 200 CNY a night extra to get upgraded to a better room. Staff were very rude and indifferent. There are definitely places out there that offer more value for the money, I would recommend you stay elsewhere.

Unique Quality: Right by the metro and train station, so accessible

FranckyBrewster's Profile Photo

Great location - Great hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 22, 2007

The location is perfect. You don’t need to leave your hotel to get to the tube station; you just go through the shopping centre next door... really handy when it is raining. The subway and the train station are just in front of the hotel (but you cannot hear a thing). The nearest stop is Beijing Zhan.

There are plenty of little restaurants around, so even in the middle of the night there is always something to eat.

The hotel in itself is very clean, staff are helpful and their English is good enough (a million times better than my Chinese).

When I arrived they wanted to give me a room on level 5, but I have learned on www.tripadvisor.com that level 5 is quite noisy because there is a restaurant... so I have asked to be moved to another floor (before they gave me the key) and they have upgraded me to level 8.

The room was great! It was big, very clean, not smelly at all, tastefully decorated, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was big enough and really nice. There is a safe, an ironing board, an alarm clock, a pair of bathrobes, sleepers, a big plasma TV on the wall, an armchair with footrest. What else, you cannot hear your neighbors at all, and the aircon is not noisy.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to all kind of travelers!

Directions: Just in front of Beijing Zhan subway/train station. Close to Wangfujing, Tiananmen Sq (I won't recommend to walk... it's easier to take the tube or a taxi)

Confucius's Profile Photo

HoJo Hotel in Chinese is "Bao Chen Fan Dian"

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 30, 2006

Here's a hotel located inside an upscale shopping mall that is also right by Beijing's main train station. It's convenient for transportation by subway as well. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet is very good. (Grab a handful of those imported Austrian jams for your train ride!)
I had a friend in Beijing drop off a package at the hotel and the front desk did not notify me. It was not until my friend called late at night that I learned the package was still downstairs and so I criticized the hotel staff for not even leaving a note that a package for me had arrived.
The public telephone in the hotel lobby has a small round speaker on the ceiling directly above it which blares loud "lobby music" over your attempts at telecommunication. I informed the management that this speaker should be removed or disconnected.
Despite those two complaints, I have no problem recommending this hotel to tourists seeking a centrally located base from which to explore Beijing.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a tennis court that appears to be in good condition.
The hotel's bakery has a "buy one, get one free" discount in the late afternoon.

There is a "Mondo Gelato" shop located on the second floor of Henderson Center shopping mall and another larger branch is located by the Starbucks across the street. (You must have mango sorbetto as a last taste of civilization before taking the train into the countryside.) Also across the street in the basement is a "Park N' Shop" Hong Kong style supermarket.

HSBC bank account holders will be pleased to know that one of Beijing's two HSBC ATM's is just a short walk away at Jianguomen outside the COFCO Center. (The other HSBC ATM is at Wangfujing's Oriental Plaza.)

Directions: Inside Henderson Center shopping mall, across the street from the Beijing Train Station

Great Hotel, Great Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 11, 2006

Highly recommended.

Located in the same complex as Henderson Shopping Mall.
The room is nice and clean although not that spacious
Mine is on 9th floor. Not noisy eventhough opposite Beijing Railway Station
Shower room is separated by a glass wall so if you want your partner to see you shower, just open the blinds :)
Broadband access in room, network cable provided in the drawer.

Near to some tourist attractions.
5 to 10mins walk to Wangfujin and Tianamen Square.
2mins walk to Ancient Observatory.
If you are not into walking, then use the subway. very convenience as you can access to Beijing Railway Subway station from Henderson Shopping Mall.

Buffet Breakfast.
If you are staying more than a day, not recommended to opt for the room with breakfast. The breakfast is ok, just that they did not change the menu. Immagine, having same type of breakfast for 5 days.

szabolcs's Profile Photo

PARAGON HOTEL**** (BaoChen...

by written on August 24, 2002

PARAGON HOTEL**** (BaoChen FanDian)

It is one of the newest hotels in Beijing (it was completed in 1998). Built by Americans it is a hotel offering very high-level services and great comfort. This is where I always stay when I'm in Beijing.

Unique Quality: Just beside the hotel is the Henderson Centre. This is a quite elegant shopping centre with an American-style entertainment area. On the lowest floor is the Henderson Supermarket where you can get a very wide range of products, including many Western imports. The Henderson Centre also has a huge tower that can be recognised very easily so if you go for a walk and somehow get lost in the chaotic traffic and the busy streets you can easily find your way back to the hotel by spotting the Henderson Tower.

Directions: 18 Jianguomennei Dajie

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Beijing Travel Forum

Need advice about Beijing, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Beijing and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Beijing hotel reviews