Howard Johnson Plaza Royale Beijing

Visit Forbidden CityVisit Forbidden City

hehehhehehehhe

limited time trip to the Great Wall

by dinarella

Will be on a layover in Beijing and wanted to try to get to the Great Wall. I will arrive on Air China at 10:40AM from Xian and need to catch an international flight at 4:00PM on Continental. I have not been able to find out if I will have to change terminals and collect and recheck my bag.

If I arrive on time and don't get to caught up with baggage issues, is it possible to arrive at the part of the GW closest to PEK airport and maybe have an hour to walk around? I hear the new PEK airport is massive so maybe I am crazy in even thinking this is a possibility.. I just hate to leave China without having made it to the GW.

Thanks in advance for any input and recommended taxi/driver info.

by GrumpyDiver

I think you would pushing your luck. You would have to grab a taxi and are looking at about 1 hour drive each way to get to Badaling from Beijing Capital Airport (about 75 km / 50 miles each way). Add to that time to deplane, transfer bags, exit the airport, get back 2 hours early to get through security, etc., you wouldn't even have time to get out of the cab before you had to turn around.

by ellyse

I would agree. It might be possible if you're lucky and arrange for a vehicle and driver in advance, but you'll barely have any time to walk on the Great Wall.

by davidchow

a round trip by taxi to the nearest section of GW,jiankou section,I assume will cost you three hours

by tourfree345

When are you arriving? if I am able to I can take a driver and a car there to pick you up and before it I can try to find out the nearest location. I speak fluent English.

Travel Tips for Beijing

Pick a nice day to go to the Great Wall!!

by herzog63

The Great Wall is a pretty important tourist spot. You might want to pick a better day than I did to go!! It was really cold when I went. (way below freezing) and the wind was blowing about 30 mph! And it was dusty/foggy too. I had hoped to get some nice panoramic pictures of the wall but that didn't happen. I wasn't able to see much more then 100 feet in any direction!!I should have gone back another day but I was running out of time. I only had 7 days left on my 30 day visa and still wanted to go to Shanghai and take the Ferry boat back to Hong Kong.

STUDY MANDARIN AT THE BEIJING...

by karinyeung

STUDY MANDARIN AT THE BEIJING LANGUAGE AND CULTURE UNIVERSITY

The school is the origins of the HSK, an international standardized test of Mandarin proficiency. It is also a GREAT place to meet some FANTASTIC people from ALL OVER THE WORLD! Many foreign service officers are sent to BCLU for language training. This is me and my roommate/sister/mentor/shoulder to cry on, Estella, who I will always cherish...

Playing squash in Beijing

by Gard

If you want to play squash in Beijing it is possible to head over to the Radisson SAS hotel. Here they have 2 squash courts and it is also "home" of the Beijing squash ladder. I played a couple of guys while I was there and it was great to get some exercise while being on vacation :-)

learn to Haggle Hard

by NorthernHenry about Silk Market

Various stalls selling everything from shirts electronics, shoes, watches, sunglasses, tourist tat fake goods! Remember if you strike a deal and they sell, they're making money. Offer 10-20% of their asking price and work up slowly. Be prepared to stick to your price and walk away, they will soon either chase or leave, then you know where to be pitching. "they start very high-you start very low" easy really?
If they ask for 300RMB go in at 30 or less and work from there...
Those carrying dollars and using them, and taking goods at face value are spoiling the whole shopping experience for everyone, the visitors only compare to US prices and get completely ripped off, some stall holders already waiting for deals with US tours visiting the market as they make a killing on the prices (often 300% over what they'd be willing to sell at). The whole atmosphere I fear will change if this trend continues, especially with many naive US middle aged tour groups buying everything at face value..

German Beer in Beijing

by nepalgoods about Paulaner

Without my dear friend Gaby I would never have experienced a Southern German pub in Beijing. I always love to see the local restaurants and bars.

It was quite funny to eat suaerkraut and drink German beer in Beijing and see the waitresses in typical German dress - Dirndl - and they were this small Chinese girls!

Comments