Jingdu Konggang Hotel

No.36 Xiaotianzhu First Street, Shunyi District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100621, China
Jingdu Konggang Hotel
Despegar.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Beijing

Good morning omg!!!Good morning omg!!!

A typical squat toilet in Behai ParkA typical squat toilet in Behai Park

meme

brisk walk to wide roads!brisk walk to wide roads!

VOIP in Beijing

by thepatv

My husband and I will be visiting Beijing for the Olympics. We are considering brining our laptop for Vonage Softphone use, to keep in touch with folks back home. I know our hotel has internet but I'm wondering if the Chinese government has any restrictions on Voice over IP. Knowing that I am a spoiled American I like to be sure to never break any laws while traveling.

by TorontoMichael

We were in China last October. We used Skype via our own laptop (internet) to call home (Canada) and USA throughout the entire 31 days trip from over 10 diff cities without any problem.

When you check in the hotel, let them know you need the internet and they will connect the internet for you at about 30 - 60 Chinese Dollor per day. Bring you own internet cable as there was no wireless internet in the hotels we satyed. Yes, we got free internet at few hotels.

Hope this help.

by thepatv

Yes. This is very good information. I know the hotel has internet but it didn't occur to me that I would have to pay extra. I'll check into that. 4 to 6 dollars a day doesn't sound too bad. We are so excited about this trip.

by crewrower

Yes you can skype in China no problem.

Some 5-star hotels charge US$20/day for internet, which negates the cost savings if you're only using internet to make phone calls. One can buy cheap IP phone cards in any city to make calls to the US for only a few cents a minute.

by thepatv

This is the good thing about forums like this. I thought my problem was VOIP restriction. But my real problem will be the cost of internet access. I'm used to internet being free at hotels. When the Hotel said Internet access in every room it didn't occur to me there would be extra costs. Glad you guys clued me in before we leave.

We are staying at Tiantan. I'll ask our group leader to find out the internet cost for me.

by crewrower

Yes that's true James, though I've heard that some people are having problems connecting to the network. I'd approach the free wi-fi as hoping to be pleasantly suprised rather than counting on it to work.

by yangzhigong

skype is allowed

by Poundwise

You may consider the option of renting a mobile in Beijing to stay connected with folks back home as you can bring with you the moble all the time. Last time a friend of mine from the United States come to Beijing, he rented a phone, which is a surprise package of reasonable rental fee, low internaitonal IP call rate plus live English assistance. If I remember correct, the mobile rental service is called Yoyoor. Maybe you can google it to find out more.

by ellyse

Cheaper 2 or 3-star hotels catering mainly to Chinese (business) travellers usually have free in-room Internet. The big 4 or 5-star hotels (especially international ones) seem to invariably charge for it, sometimes at rather exorbitant rates.

Travel Tips for Beijing

More of the joys of Xiangshan - the Fragrant Hill

by mke1963

Xiangshan, or the Fragrant Hill, deserve so much more than just one visit. The whole park has beautiful old buildings, many ruined and slowly evaporating back into the ground. Some have been converted into tea-houses or restaurants, and one or two have museum displays in them.
Xiangshan can be visited at any time of the year, and there is always great views, beautiful landscapes and good walking.

People are generally...

by greg44136

People are generally ambivalent about westerners. It would seem they don't encounter many. English rarely spoken. The most difficult local habit to contend with is the constant spitting you see everywhere. Men, women, young and old. When you hear someone winding up, --stand clear..

Local architecture and living: The Hutongs

by xuessium

Hutongs [胡同] are narrow streets or alleys formed by lines of "Siheyuan" [四合院], traditional courtyard residences. Many neighbourhoods were formed by joining one Siheyuan to another to form a Hutong, and then joining one Hutong to another.

The word "Hutong" comes from the Mongolian "Hottog" meaning "water well." During the growth of towns and cities, wells dug by villagers formed the centres of new communities.

Beijing Hutongs range in width from 10 metres down to only 40 centimetres.

Since the mid-20th century, the number of Beijing Hutongs has dropped dramatically as they are demolished to make way for new roads and buildings. Wonderfully, the foolishness of this has been recently reversed with some Hutongs designated as protected areas in an attempt to preserve this aspect of Chinese cultural history.

My Hostel happen to be a refurbished Siheyuan amidst a Hutong so I literally had Hutong living surrounding me. So this isn't a tourist side-show. You'll see families crowding around chatting away in the evenings or sipping tea and playing Chinese chess, each knowing each other. Don't be surprised to see old gentlemen, san shirt, only in their boxers and shorts, chatting the world away. There are also Mahjong Rooms for folks to get together to exercise their brains. There are also plenty of local eateries for me to had fun with.

Finally, on the auspices of one of the owners, I entered a Siheyuan to really see the matchbox style of living so associated with Siheyuan living. It's mind boggling to see so many families squeezed into 1 courtyard with shared toilet facilities.

Jing3 tai4 lan2 (cloisonné), inherently Beijing

by ntm2322

Talking about local arts and crafts, the most important in Beijing are:

- Cloisonné (jing3 tai4 lan2)

- Ivory carvings

- Carved lacquer ware and

- Jade

A little bit of History

Cloisonné originated in Beijing during the Yuan Dynasty (1271 - 1368).

The emperor of the 'Jingtai' period during the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644) was very fond of the bronze-casting techniques and improved the color process, creating the bright blue (lan2), then the “jing3 tai4 lan2” (jing3 tai4 blue) cloisonné products became popular among the people.

To make a cloisonné piece, copper is molded into the shape of the finished piece and then intricate engravings are made with a copper wire. The piece is also fired and polished.

Five sophisticated processes:

1) Model hammering

2) Filigree welding

3) Enamel filling

4) Surface polishing

5) Gilding

For a better understanding, please, take a look at the following website

Jing3 tai4 lan2 can be found on large objects such as vases and other decorative items like jars, as well as small items like earrings, bracelets or chopsticks.

Where can I buy Beijing cloisonné?

You can find cloisonné everywhere, from the smallest tourist shops to the largest shopping mall. Prices in the largest malls are fixed, you will have no chance at all to bargain.

In order to save time and be sure not to buy fake items (keep in mind this is a huge industry in China and already a common practice) go to Huairou Cloisonné Factory situated close to the Mutianyu Great Wall.

Besides, you can also watch all the stages of the manufacturing process to see how the exquisite cloisonné pieces are produced.

Special tip: go early morning to the Mutianyu Great Wall (much more interesting than the Badaling Great Wall), enjoy the nature (you can even slide down from the top) and then head to the Huairou Cloisonné Factory.

Enjoy your time in Beijing!

Walking around central Beijing

by paulwf

Central Beijing is a flat city - no hills or mountains etc so I did a lot of walking around Beijing. It is a safe place to walk even at night. Just be careful not to walk in front of people on their bikes. But be warned things that look close on a map arent necessarily as close as you think. But it is good exercise & I was a lot fitter afterwards.

Comments