Beijing Hotels

Our Members Say

• marielexoteria profile photo marielexoteria
  • Reviews: 850

Red Lantern House: great family run hostel

I found Red Lantern House through VT and after seeing it being recommended in various guide books, I decided to book it for the first 2 days of my Beijing stay and I'm glad to say that I wasn't disappointed.

Red Lantern House is located in a hutong. The building exterior is a traditional courtyard that has been transformed into a hostel. The interior is tastefully decorated, giving the space a cozy feeling.

The lobby is the meeting point at the hostel and where you'll have your meals or maybe a beer. They offer free wifi for those traveling with their laptops and internet (for a small fee) on their computers. The wifi is available also in the rooms (no password required).

We paid 260 RMB for a double room with private bathroom and that price included towels, bed linen and taxes. The rooms we got were spacious although the bathroom was a bit on the small side, but hey, I don't require a lot of space, and most importantly, the beds and pillows were very comfortable. They offer several kinds of breakfast and snacks, that you can take either in their lobby/bar or in the lovely patio when the weather permits it.

Upon checking in you'll head up to the main building and pay a key deposit of 100 RMB that you'll get back on checking out, and then if your room is located in any of the other 2 yards, they'll have someone from the staff take you there. We liked this place so much that we booked a room with them for the stay after Shanghai. The first room we had was on the West yard and the second on the East one. I will be writing a VT article about this place shortly.

This I like about the hostel:
- Close to 2 subway lines: circular and line 4.
- Walking distance to Houhai and Beihai lakes.
- About 20 minutes walk distance (leisure pace) from the Forbidden City.
- English speaking staff (they speak it very good I might add).
- Cheap, good beer (Tsingdao - a big bottle for 4 RMB as of Oct 2009)
plus the usual qualities of a hostel: they can book tours, train tickets (for a small fee of 40 RMB per ticket), laundry (10 RMB per kilo), etc.

• Written October 27, 2009
Tip Photo

Patio and entrance to our room (west yard)

• lindyz profile photo lindyz
  • Reviews: 540

Days Inn Forbidden City: Affordable accommodation in the heart of Beijing

We arrived at Beijing Airport at about 5.30am and got to our Hotel about 8am and into our room about 9am. We were pleasantly surprised by this Hotel and I would highly reccomend it, both for its great location and price. This Hotel was booked by our travel agent through octopustravel.com and we paid $49 each per night to stay there, no breakfast included.

The Days Inn is a low-rise Hotel on Nanheyan Street, which is very close to Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and Wangfujing Street for shopping. The room was clean and quite large, the shower was HUGE and the beds were very big as well. Staff were friendly and spoke quite good english (most of the time!) The beds were very large, our room had 2 king singles, but they were also very hard, but the pillows were lovely and soft. The room had a very funny and annoying smell for the first few days, but then it was gone, Im guessing the room hadnt been used for a while. Days Inn was our dearest accommodation, but it was probably also our best.

We ate breakfast at the Days Cafe only twice and dinner at the Restaurant only once, all times food was plentiful and delicious.

Only problem we encountered was that not a lot of taxi drivers knew where it was. It is located in a small backstreet (hutong) off a main road, Nanheyan Street, but still many taxi drivers looked at the address with bewilderment!

Smaller Hotel right in the heart of the city, close to all main attractions.

• Written September 30, 2009

Bedroom at Days Inn

• Sally_chen profile photo Sally_chen
  • Reviews: 69

ZHAO LONG YOUTH HOTEL: One of the few youth hotel!

Again this recommendation is based on the telephone suvey.
It's quite close to the place where I live .It's located in east part of the city close to SAN LI DUN( diplomatic zone, bar street). Very convenient to take bus to go to the centre.
Just opposit the duck restaurant which I recommended.

Hotel staff told me most of their clients are European youth traveller, total 40 rooms.
The room rate for 2 person sharing (2 beds up and down) is RMB160, for 4 person sharng is RMB70 per person . Public shower only.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written February 23, 2004

• Sally_chen profile photo Sally_chen
  • Reviews: 69

GUANG HUA GUEST HOUSE: Good place for business and leisure!

It's a 2 stars hotel with very good location in CDB aera, right next to WTC. I pass by here every day on my way back to home, It doesn't have great looking from outside , but the hotel staff told me at phone that they do have European guests and they have English-speaking staff .
It's 2 minutes walk way to MTR, easy to reach any destinations . Many business clients stay there for easy access to the major business centres.
If I am a traveller, I would prefer hotel close to MTR to avoid heavy traffic jam.

BTW:close to all the restaurants in my restaurant list

Again hotel staff told me they have total 60 rooms.All clean ,tiny with hot water shower. The floor are wooden, kind of Japanese style.
They don't miss clients for the good location and relatively cheaper price(Most of the hotel in this area are above 4 stars which cost 3-5 times more than this one)
RMB320 for twin sharing room
RMB292 for single room (very demanding )
All include Chinese breakfast

• Written February 23, 2004

• MickeH profile photo MickeH
  • Reviews: 161

Leo Hostel 2: Friendly hostel with great location

Just some hundred meters south of Tiananmen square, in the busy shopping streets in the hutongs there, lies Leo Hostel 2.
The "2" is because there are two Leo Hostels, not far from eachother. And even though I have only been in the lobby of Leo Hostel 1 I think I would reccomend that you book hostel 2 as it looks nicer. From the little I saw of hostel 1 anyway.

I liked the atmosphere here, and though the rooms are far from luxurios they are by hostel standard totally ok.

It has very friendly and helpful staff, and that is it's biggest plus in my book.

They also have tours to places around Beijing that are well worth your money.

Other than that it has free internet for it's guests, as well as a dvd with plenty of chairs around to sit down and realx a bit and talk to the other guests.

They also have some simple food if you want to stay in and eat.

Security boxes for your valubles can be rented for a small fee.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written September 1, 2005

Corridor in Leo Hostel 2

• Confucius profile photo Confucius
  • Reviews: 336

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jin Tan Bowling Hotel: A hotel for bowlers? Only in Beijing!

This is a 2 star hotel south of Hongqiao Market and east of the Temple of Heaven in Beijing's Chongwen District. It's a typical cheap hotel in China but the service is actually quite good. Hot water is available 24 hours and the rooms have central air conditioning.

A double room is 290 yuan but during the low season you can get rooms for as low as 198 yuan. They also have triple rooms for 382 yuan but that price can go down as low as 248 yuan between November and April.

Of course the main attraction of this hotel is the large bowling alley next door. If you're a bowler then this is the best hotel in China for you. Right by the bowling alley you'll also find a cheap Internet cafe (hourly rates), which is rare in Chongwen District.

The location is very close to the Temple of Heaven and Hongqiao Market, two of Beijing's popular attractions. You can reach the hotel by taking the subway to Chongwenmen, then transfer to bus 39, 43, 705, 812, or 957. Get off the bus at Yu Ting Bridge and you'll see the building on the right with the big bowling pin on top.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written December 22, 2005
Tip Photo

Look for the building with the bowling pin on top!

• rui_bijie profile photo rui_bijie
  • Reviews: 158

Bei Wei University, International Building: Student long term accomodation

The Bei Wei University (Foreign Language University) offers Chinese Language courses and accomodation for international students.

A room in the International Building includes toilet, bathroom, and a TV; cleanliness was not always satisfying.
We paid "western" prices (way too expensive!) with western money (the university didn't accept Chinese Yuan, only US Dollars - a way to gain some foreign currency).

Unfortunately the locals are not allowed to rent these student rooms (if they could afford it; it's kind of a ghetto of the "rich"); if Chinese students want to visit you, they have to leave their student ID at the reception (control?)!

At least the location was convincing: on campus, situated in an absolutely non-touristic area.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written October 28, 2003

Guojiao Building

• mafi_moya profile photo mafi_moya
  • Reviews: 482

Accomodation for foreigners in Beijing

Beijing is not the cheapest city for a foreigner to visit. I believe the restrictions have now been (or about to be) eased but until recently foreigners could only stay at government approved hotels. The official reasoning behind this was to ensure a tourist's safety and comfort - of course the fact that the approved hotels were the most expensive was nothing to with it! There are a few approved youth hostels and dorm rooms for those with a modest budget, but generally accomodation in Beijing is exorbitantly expensive. As I say, there are plans to change this and allow tourists a greater choice, which should bring costs down and open new alternatives to budget travellers.

As I was there with work, I was booked into a Chinese (ie: non-foreigner approved) hotel by a Chinese national. Apparently I was the first foreigner to stay there and they took a bit of persuading to let me in. But the standard was very good and excellent value for money - a spotlessly clean and comfortable room (TV, fridge etc) for about $20 a night.

No matter whether you're staying at a five-star or no-star hotel, rooms come with an unlimited supply of Chinese tea. I wasn't a big fan of it beforehand, now I'm an addict!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 5, 2003
Tip Photo

Outside my hotel - I didn't pay for the view!

• herzog63 profile photo herzog63
  • Reviews: 2254

Qiao Yuan Hotel or Chaoyuhan Hotel spelling??: Dormitory in a big cold room

I stayed in a dorm room at the Qio Yuan Hotel. It was a fairly big room with a bunch of beds in it. Not bad for the price as Beijing is a pretty expensive city to stay in.I paid 8 FEC (US$2.17) for each night again like most of my money related tips...Things have gone up in price. I had a friend visit Beijing a couple years ago and he couldn't find any affordable accomodation. But I'm pretty good at sniffing out the cheap places...I don't need chocolates on my pillow when I check in. I just like somewhere semi-warm and semi-safe to sleep! I stayed here for 4 nights.

The only unique qualities was that it was cheap. The building itself was very drab! But you better check into making sure the hotel is still there. I don't have a photo of the hotel so I'm putting a shot of the opera for you to enjoy.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written September 24, 2003

Opera House

• melosh profile photo melosh
  • Reviews: 395

Shanglin Hostel: 350 year old historic site

A hostel/hotel featuring an historic traditional hutong courtyard. The wood art in the courtyard must be worth tens of thousands of dollars. I loved the authenticity of the place. A great first place to stay in China.

Friendly front desk, free internet, 4 bed "dorm" room at 55 rmb per person. Many regular rooms with showers and toilets.

This place is historic and somewhat buried in a hutong, but it is certainly worth searching out. You could ask for directions at the better known Leo Hostel because they are both owned by the same people.

Initially, in this area, I only saw the Leo Hostel and further down ZhaLan after the turn off to the Shanglin a modern building containing a modern large hostel, but later wanderings in the neighbor revealed a good number of other hostels. I would be surprised if any had a more authentic Chinese feel than the Shanglin. I will go back.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written May 31, 2007

• sunshine9689 profile photo sunshine9689
  • Reviews: 334

Red Lantern: Hostel

I enjoyed my stay in 'Red Lantern' very much.

- the room was good,
- the atmosphere was great,
- the stuff was helpful,
- laundry services,
- Internet services,
- offering tours and airport transfer.

NOTE: They have 2 buildings, located within 7 minutes walk from each other. The main building has dormitories, the second one(where we stayed) offers private rooms with bathrooms.
To check in, you`ll have to go to the main building first. As for check out, you can do so in either of them.

PRICE: We payed total of 220RMB ($27.5) per night for a room with 2 beds and a private bathroom.

Other Prices:
- Big bottle of water. 5RMB ($0.6),
- Small bottle of orange juice. 4RMB ($0.5),
- Bowl of dumplings. 15RMB ($1.9),
- Breakfast (bacon, french fries, 2 eggs) is about 20RMB ($2.5),
- Tour to the Great Wall (MuTianYu). 180RMB ($22.5).

Since it`s located in hutongs, it was really interesting to live there.
I also liked the inside yards - they are like living rooms where everybody gathers to eat/chat/use Internet.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written November 7, 2006

'Red lantern' main building. 2006

• FreeCloud profile photo FreeCloud
  • Reviews: 1138

Hao Yuan Hotel: Best located traditional courtyard hotel

I have not stayed there yet, but will.

My friends who stayed there call it a 'great experience'.

See details in the hotel's official website.

My friends tried two types of rooms.

Classical Chinese courtyard setting with a rich history.

Best located among all this type. Walking distance to Wangfujing shopping center. If fit, walking distance to the Forbidden City, Tian An Men Square and few other major tourist sites.

Easty to access, take Airport Shuttle and alight at Ya Bao Lu stop, then either take a taxi or 20 minute walk.

• Written January 13, 2005

• mskwan profile photo mskwan
  • Reviews: 83

Home Inn: Cheap, Clean and Brand New

We were looking for cheap, clean and quiet hotel at a convenient location. We find it!! At the time of check in in November 2004, this relatively new hotel chain was just open for business at this particular location. Everything was brand new. We paid RMB 180 per night for two person. They have even cheaper room but smaller than the one you see in this photo. Room came with air-con and heat, as well as all you can drink bottled water.

Very basic, no non-sense type of accomondation. It does have a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner at a reasonable price. However, there are many eating places nearby. One feature we love very much is "vinyl floor," where cigarette smoke and other dirty stuff cannot hide. They also offered non-smoking room.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written June 15, 2005

• mskwan profile photo mskwan
  • Reviews: 83

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Red House: Clean but Overprice

This was our first night in Beijing, and we find this place through Lonely Planet. On this day, all regular rooms were booked, so they said. We paid RMB 350 for their so called suite, which is actually similiar to a one bedroom apartment with kitchen and all. However, the kitchen had no cooking stoves or utensils of any kind except for a frig. The bedroom was so small that a "tiny" double bed basically took up the entire room, and it was too uncomfortable for two people - definitely not for two persons of western size. The next morning, one of the guest complained about party noises that went on all night. Well, we were lucky that our room was at the end of the hallway.

Breakfast is included in the price. The lock at the door seems very flimsy and could possibly opened by keys of any other guests. And that was the main reason we checked out the next day.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written June 15, 2005

Map

• easterntrekker profile photo easterntrekker
  • Reviews: 2084

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jiangxi Grand Hotel: New Hotel ( one of many)

This is a gorgeous brand new hotel in Beijing . We were surprised to have a comfortable bed as the beds in China are usually so hard. A big buffet breakfast is included too!!

Currency Exchange