Nanyuan Inn (Beijing Wangfujing)

No.157 Dongsi South Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100010, China
Hotelsclick.com Ctrip.com Otel.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Beijing

Bear pit at BadalingBear pit at Badaling

BeijingBeijing

pose from Hall of Supreme Harmonypose from Hall of Supreme Harmony

hutong next to my hotelhutong next to my hotel

Currency

by nomad7890

I normally use the following site to get an idea of the current exchange rate:

Is it safe to assume around 14.65 USD is around 100 RMB (assuming RMB=CNY) - this is the approximate rate quoted from the above site.

by MikeySoft

I've also use www.xe.com. The exchange rate at China's ATM is near that. I checked that a few times when I had my own computer in China.

by HansDK

www.xe.com use interbank rates. If you change cash you will get slightly less. ATM withdrawals are settled at interbank rates.

by MikeySoft

Don't forget to tell your bank you are going to China. Sometimes US banks will put a hold on ATM and credit cards when they see foreign transactions. Also check with your bank it they (your bank) charges additional fees for foreign exchange. Many do but the one I use (credit union) does not.

I have several tips on my china page which may also help.

by nomad7890

Thanks, then this should be a good approximation.

Also thanks for the note re. the bank - I called my CU a while back, as well as VISA and AMEX. ;=)

by Fullmoonfever

any money you have left over, you can send to me.

by chinaguy

it is rely on the finantial crisis it is impossible to exchange 14.68usd to 100rmb

by chinaguy

by nomad7890

I have been back for two months. Please note you are not supposed to have external links, particularly those advertising a travel agency, in your home page.

by Fullmoonfever

I just returned home last night after 2 weeks in China. The rate hasn't changed much.

Travel Tips for Beijing

Great Wall - Badaling

by extrajoce

The Great Wall is surely on anyone's list on a visit to Beijing, and I have put it just after Tien An Men Square+the Forbidden City. This is the Badaling section, one of the closest to Beijing (we hired a taxi to go there and visit royal tombs at the same time). The wall is well restored here, offering an accurate impression of what it was like. For the poets and idealists, a short walk on the steep wall to the west will also offer a more worn down version (see activity tip/photo).

Beijing driving

by Gard

It is fascinating to see how traffic varies from country to country around the world. I’m sure that it is possible to write an entire book on the subject of driving patterns in different countries :-) China was certainly different than other countries that we have been to. Not only do you have to keep an eye out for other cars…you also need to keep an eye on all the pedestrians and cyclists. And let me assure you: there are quite a lot of bicycles in Beijing :-) The motorists and cyclists seem to have achieved some form of harmony because the cyclists seemed impartial to the somewhat dubious drivers next to them.

The Beijing drivers seem to think that the mirrors in the car are not for practical use. Cars change lanes without any hesitation (or indication) and it seems to be the car behind that needs to keep an eye out for this. Another fascinating thing is the use of the horn. After many rides in taxis I have reached a conclusion that there are at least three reasons for using the horn: the reactive horn use (you pulled out right in front of me and you are blocking me); the preventive horn use (don’t try to pull out in front of me…I’m coming with great speed and there is no room for you); lastly general horn use (there is so much traffic and I can’t change lanes or overtake any cars).

ZhongShan Park

by theo1006

ZhongShan Park is named in honour of Dr Sun Yat-Sen (1866-1925), better known in China as Sun ZhongShan. He was a nationalist leader, founder of the KuoMinTang movement, who became the first provisional president of the Republic of China after the overthrow of the Qing dynasty in 1911. He is revered as the Father of Modern China, both in Taiwan and in mainland China. In the latter alone there are over 40 ZhongShan parks.

ZhongShan park in Beijing lies at the south-west corner of the Forbidden City. The park is best visited in spring, when the park shows a colourful display of tulips, peonies and other flowers. Our visit fell in early December, so we missed out on these. Also we could not go boating on the Forbidden City moat which borders the park in the north.

Of course the park features a statue of Dr Sun Yat-Sen, two of them to be exact. There is a museum hall full of historical photographs, unfortunately most of them with explanation in Chinese only.

Originally, that is during the Ming and Qing dynasties, the park was an imperial garden. The emperor came here in the lunar months of February and August to pray and thank for a good harvest and well-being of his people. He did this at the "Altar to the Gods of Land and Grain" (SheJiLan, also translated as Altar to the Gods of Earth and Harvest), which consists of a low square field covered with five colours of sand: blue on the east side, red in the south, white on the west. black on the north and yellow in the centre. This would indicate that all the land under the sun belongs to the emperor. The altar was built in 1421, in the 18th year of Emperor Yongle's reign. There are cypress trees in the park said to be even older than that.

Some more pictures in the Travelogue.

Directions: With subway Line 1, get off at Tian’anmen West. Instead of entering the forbidden city at the Gate of Heavenly Peace, find the gate of Zhongshan Park just west of it.

Pushy sellers

by jonkb about Anywhere except in the temples

You'll find street vendors everywhere in central Beijing. You don't have to look for them if you look westerner, they'll automatically home in on you. It doesn't matter what you say to them. They still want to sell you their product.

The best way of getting rid of them is to ignore them and don't make eye contact.

Bus 919 to Badaling

by susanpingu

First of all, thanks to other Vters who provided detailed info (and pics) on getting to Badaling by Bus 919 (sorry your names escape me at the moment but hey! you got my top ratings).

My sister and I took the bus to Deshengmen and walked a few short minutes to the tower building where Bus 919 originates. Note: if you take the subway, the nearest subway station is about 15-20 mins walk.

There are three places where you will see buses numbered 919, and not all of them go to Badaling. We chanced on the first parking lot with buses numbered 919 but were told it did not go to Badaling. The next place we tried was a bus stop just behind the (first) parking lot. Bus 919 stopped there and passengers were getting off but we were not allowed to board. We were mystified. To make matters worse, there was a man telling us it cost 20 RMB to get to Badaling by the 'slow' bus and 40 RMB by 'fast' bus (scam, no doubt).

I knew the correct fare was 12 RMB so we ignored him. I asked the next bus driver where to get the right bus and he pointed to the direction beside the tower building, well out of sight from where we were standing. Sure enough, the right one was just a minute's walk from where we were!

So depending on which direction you are coming from towards the tower, you may be lucky and hit the right parking lot for Bus 919 the first time. We only got the right one after the third round :- l

Comments