No.33 East Chang'an Street, Beijing, Beijing Region, 100004, China

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Raffles Beijing Hotel

Excellent Hotel / Location, DCC Scam

by TripAdvisor Member J123456789

Raffles is a beautiful hotel in an excellent location, the rooms are superb. The beds, like most in China are hard, but of good quality and with enough upholstery to take the hardness away and so comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The only downside is that the hotel operates the DCC scam (Direct Currency Conversion). When you check out your credit card bill is converted to your local currency at an unfavourable rate. The customer is not asked, they should be according to Visa / Mastercard rules. Make sure you check very carefully before signing any credit card bills and insist you are charged in Yuan.

Could be better

by TripAdvisor Member mikezens

Stayed at the Raffles in Beijing for the first time. Have to say I was not overly impressed by the hotel. The rooms are big and nicely decorated, but as we stayed in early November the air-con is not working anymore. If it is on you get hot air blown into the room. So you can only regulate the temperature by shutting the aircon off and getting fresh (by Beijing Standards) air in through the window. Some rooms have windows that actually really open. We had a room, where you could only open a 5cm part of the window which looks after opening like an mosquito net.
In our first roon, we had had all of a sudden a smell of waste water in the room. The hotel couldn't solve the problem, but offered us another room without hesitation. However due to high season, we only got a room poolside on the 3rd floor, which ment, that you hardly get any daylight through the window.

On the posotive note, the breakfast buffet is very good.

All in all I think there are a lot of hotels in Beijing that offer better value for money. But - due to the terrible traffic try to get the best hotel in the vincinity of where you wanna go.

Above average

by TripAdvisor Member jmalux

Stayed here for five nights in October in a club room which is located in the new building. The room was big and nicely decorated. Free internet a big plus. Unfortunately the communist party has decided that air-conditioning must be switched off in all hotels during the winter months. In theory, air-conditioning shouldn't be necessary in winter time but the room didn't have any windows which could be opened, so the room was very warm and stuffy.

The wooden entrance door to the room could hardly be opened and closed as the wood has somehow expanded, so it was more or less required to break into the room each time with force. This seemed to be a general problem with the doors which created a lot of noise.

The service was OK but not even close to Four Seasons levels apart from the gym which offered the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel gym. The gym as such is very nice and rather well equipped but the lack of air-conditioning resulted in 26° Celsius which is rather uncomfortable for a work-out.

There is a nice indoor swimming pool which always was empty. A cap is required so bring one if you intend to swim. Otherwise they are for sale for the staggering price of EUR 6.

The Club facilities are OK. Three daily food presentations of good quality. Alcoholic beverages are only served during the last appetiser food presentation.

The location is great with easy walking distance to the shopping area and the Forbidden City.

Overall a nice but rather forgettable hotel experience.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member Lynsee

Absolutely fantastic location - within a pleasant 10 mins walk down Dong Changan Road to the Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City. Also, located within 5 mins walk to the huge Oriental Mall and Wangfujing shopping mall, both of which offer a great variety of food and shopping opportunities.

Service at the hotel is first class. All of the hotel staff I interacted with could communicate quite well in English. Landmark Rooms are big and spacious with huge beds. Everything looked new and clean. There was even a "Pillow Menu" from which you can select the types of pillows to suit your liking.

Great pool and jaccuzzi for a relaxing dip. Billiards, snooker and bowling were also available up to late in the night.

I enjoyed the buffet breakfast at East 33. It had a good spread and quality and variety of food offered was splendid.

Best hotel I ever stayed in.

Wow

by TripAdvisor Member Jedam

This hotel was first class from its rooms to its pool. The food was great, they served high tea, the staff were friendly and helpful, the location was great, my room was more like a suite than a room even though it was their basic tariff. I can only recommend you try it.

Elegant hotel in a Great Location!

by TripAdvisor Member TravelCat501

I managed to get a good rate through my work, so my husband and I splurged a little for this hotel.

The rooms here are first class. Fresh flowers and fruit were waiting for us when we arrived. The room itself was immaculate and beautifully appointed, despite the fact that it was an older building - They kind of made me feel like I was staying in a 19th century British Colonial hotel in China - Lots of thick, rich fabrics, and furniture that looked like it ought to be at least 100 years older than me. The only thing I didn't like was that the air conditioning never kicked in (Mid October was probably too late in the season to leave it on), so it got a bit stuffy, especially whenever we were there in the late afternoon getting ready for dinner.

We spent a few extra dollars for an Executive room, which includes (free) continental breakfast in their Executive lounge. It was mostly cereals, breakfast breads & pastry, fruit, and fresh juice - I don't remember any hot options. It was all excellent quality, though, and a nice, relaxing way to start the morning.

For tourists, the best thing about this hotel is the location. It is an EASY walk to Tiananmen Square & the Forbidden city. Also close walking distance to Wangfujing snack street, and a big mall, so both Eastern & Western food options were readily available. We didn't use it on this trip, but there was also a subway stop a short walk a way - We passed it whenever we walked towards the Forbidden City.

We arrived during the Communist Party convention, so there were a lot of military & police personnel wandering around the hotel. It was also much more difficult to hail a cab. When we needed one, a staff member ran down the street a couple of blocks to hail one, and gave the cabbie directions for us - I thought that was nice of them, and above & beyond what they needed to do.

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend staying here.

Beijing Raffles - Amazing!!!

by TripAdvisor Member jme1016

I visited the Beijing Raffles in 2006, but just recently joined TripAdvisor and thought it would still be relevant for everyone to hear what a great hotel this was. I went with a group of business colleagues and spent a total of 5 days at the hotel. We had a few days available for pleasure and then had 2 days of meetings planned at the hotel.

The rooms, service and food were all absolutely phenomenal. The hotel took care of every thing that we needed, including finding us a tour guide to take us around the city for 2 days (for only $200). This included trips to the market, the Great Wall and a few stops in between. The hotel is located a short walk (2 or 3 city blocks) to the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square. We were provided fresh fruit in the rooms on a daily basis. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bathroom was expansive.

The meeting facilities were also top notch and the hotel went above and beyond to make sure that we had every accommodation that we requested (even those made the day of the meeting). I would recommend staying here for business or pleasure as both were excellent experiences.

Fabulous stay!

by TripAdvisor Member BaltimoreFrancophile

I have nothing but positive feedback for this gem of a hotel. The room was palatial (almost like a smallish apartment!), with a separate tub & shower and a very nice sized sitting room separated from the bedroom with sliding wooden doors. I had an executive room which included daily breakfast and afternoon cocktails in the lounge. The service was gracious and polished and and I felt very taken care of. And the location can't be beat - it's only a 10 minute walk to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. The value for money was outstanding. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Fantastic hotel, fantastic service

by TripAdvisor Member Meihai

Absolutely wonderful hotel in a prime location. Room was beautifully decorated, facilities (including free evening cocktails) were excellent and the breakfast buffet was possibly the best in China. Had a room overlooking the main street, and didn't hear a peep of noise.
Staff very helpful and friendly. Great value for money, would go back in a second.

Excellent Beijing hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JaneQP

Fantastic concierge service, great rooms, wonderful complementary breakfast, and all within walking distance of the major downtown sites. Just be sure to request a room that doesn't face the extensive construction site behind the building. We fully enjoyed our stay.

Lobby of Raffles Beijing HotelLobby of Raffles Beijing Hotel

Help Hotel Suggestions for Beijing !!!

by leighmereider

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has some first hand experience and can suggestion some accom for myself travelling two kids (12 & 14 yr old)

i would very much like to be within walking distance to many of the attractions, forbidden city and the shopping...!!

i would like easy location and clean... breakfast would be a bonus.
thank u in advance.

by ellyse

"Many" of the sights would be relative. Take a look at a map of Beijing -- the major sights are scattered all over the city, which's quite spread out. It would be reasonable to be within walking distance of say, Forbidden City + Tiananmen Square + Wangfujing, but probably have to take metro or taxi to the other sights.
I would suggest that you stay at Tang Yue Hotel (east gate of Forbidden City), or Downtown Backpackers (http://www.backpackingchina.com).
Chinese-style breakfast isn't difficult to find, even if your hotel doesn't provide breakfast.

by roselewis

we are travelling to Beijing in May 2008, so no first hand experience but try Lee Garden Apartments. I have found them very helpful in my e-mails to them. Just google Lee Garden Apartments on internet. When are you all going? Have a great time in Beijing whereever you stay anyway. Also check out other VT pages for Beijing- they are a excellent resource.
Welcome to VT & Cheers
Rose

by canadian_asian

Visited Beijing many times and here are my recommendations.

1. Raffles Beijing Wangfujing (this is very expensive, but if you have lots of
cash, this is one of THE hotels to stay at). Loved it.

2. Park Plaza Beijing - awesome, safe, clean, pretty new hotel at very reasonable prices. Opened in 2006. Just stayed there recently. Pay extra for the breakfast - it's soooo good and has something for everyone. Only gotcha is that it is so new, most cab drivers not sure where it is, but if you can get the concierge to write down that it is behind the REGENT hotel (another nice hotel) or the JIN BAO office tower, the PARK PLAZA is a hop and skip. Centrally located, about 5 mins to the main drag - WangFuJing.

3. NOT RECOMMENDED - Novotel Peace Hotel. Hated the room they put us in. Will never stay there again.

by enars

You can try www.hotelbooklet.com which compares more than 30 popular hotel reservations sites and shows all available deals!

Office supplies, stationery, art supplies in Beijing

Hi,
I'll be in Beijing a few days in April for meetings and workshops. We often end up needing office and art supplies, no matter how well-planned our packing is beforehand. Does anyone know where one can buy this type of material in Beijing around the Tiananmen area (Raffles Hotel, Beijing Hotel, Grand Beijing Hotel)?

Thanks!
G

by frank.gu

Wangfujing Street has a building, in which there are many many art supplies.
I think you will find it.

About your office supplies, I think you may also find in Wangfujing Street in some supermarket in the street.

by honestjohn

Near the National Art Gallery, which is located in the end of Wangfujing street, there are some small art related shops, you can find the stationery, art...

by GraceH

Thanks, Frank.gu and Honestjohn...I'm looking at a map of the Forbidden City area...the street you mentioned is the one that appears a couple of blocks east of the Forbidden City, right?

I really appreciate your help!

by frank.gu

Wangfujing street lies on the east of the Forbidden City, maybe 15 minutes by walk.

Thanks again!!!