Red Wall Hotel

Arts and Culture Archeology Historical Travel
See Amenities
shanghaijones's Profile Photo

Bait and Switch

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 31, 2013

I reserved a standard room using Agoda.com. At check in, the desk clerk gave me an economy or budget room. When I argued and showed my voucher he told me to take this room or leave. I accepted this room of course with no good choice at 8 pm. My discussion with the manager the next day was useless. First he said I had been given a standard room. After confronting him with online photos of a standard room he asked me "why did you accept this room?". Then he folded his hands, smiled and would say nothing more.

The room had peeling wall cover. All carpets in this hotel are filthy. Some are threadbare. There was a window, but a block wall was built only 12" from the window, so it is a window to a wall. Neither the heat or air conditioning worked. The unit fan worked, but it did not cool or heat the air, only move it around. Strong smell of sewage that the hotel staff tried to hide by placing a large bundle of potpourri in the bathroom. Agoda site says complimentary water, but at the hotel they refused to give us any free water upon arrival.

Location seems good on a map, but it is at the north end of the Forbidden City and a very long walk to anywhere. You will do better to find a clean hotel near the third ring road and then just walk or taxi from there. The difference in distance is minimal.

Around the hotel there are not many nice restaurants, some way overpriced small coffee shops that serve coffee in tiny cups for more than the cost of a large Starbuck's drink. The hotel breakfast buffet is mostly greasy Chinese food that seems left over from dinner. Western food limited to pre-fried eggs and white bread toast.

I normally would not complain because for city center the price was low, but I don't like being treated as I was. The management oversold the hotel, then they refused to even give me a discount difference between their economy and standard room prices. The manager knew I was a foreigner, not signed in with a Chinese tour agency, they were holding my 200 rmb deposit and so they could do anything they wanted and I would no recourse.

If you don't mind a stinky room without real working heat or air and feel the need to be in City Center this place is cheap enough. I have traveled extensively in Beijing and know that I made a mistake with this choice and I will not ever stay there again.

As some other reviews noted this hotel is shown as 4 star rating on some hotel sites, but it is only a low 3 star hotel. I believe it does not have the official Chinese 4 star rating, the management just writes that they are 4 star. Another of many twistings of the truth.

FIRSTGOM's Profile Photo

Close to Forbidden City

by written on February 21, 2008

The Hotel is good value for money and is very convenient walking distance to Forbidden City, Tiananmen square, Beihai Park and is on the borders of the Hutong.
we had problems with the first room but it was immediately changed when we complained.
Staff are friendly and helpful and speak English.

REMEMBER THE MOST USEFUL TIP IN CHINA:
get the place you are staying at on a card in Chinese and your language for taxi's etc.

also for a small tip get your local hotel man to write out several places on the card
in both languages so you can point to them when asking directions. IT WORKS.

Unique Quality: Next door is a camera/mobilephone shop where for "peanuts" you can buy a mobile card card and get extremely cheap rates locally and international but be warned there appear to be two types of card the cheapest works in the local area ONLY and will not work elsewhere and the second works in larger areas.

Taxi fares are cheap but they try it on some refuse to accept the recommended fare especially for small journeys.

We never figured out the buses!

Directions: 10 minutes walk from major Chinese art gallery (free entry). 20 minutes Tiananmen square, Beihai Park and 5 minutes Hutong.

Dr.Styranki's Profile Photo

Nomen est omen

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 1, 2007

Hotel with rather good location, walking distance from the north gate of forbidden city.
*** star hotel in Chinese standards, so good enough place to stay, but nothing of luxury here.

The view from the hotel room was as promised: a red brick wall from the window, a sunshine barely seen.

Many westerners disliked the chinese breakfast served in the hotel, but it was all edible stuff.

The early check-in was a positive thing, also the fridge was very cold and silent. On the other hand the air condition was louder than the tanks in Tianmen some time ago.

Couple of curious remarks:

-The sheet changing policy was hyper-environmental, they were not changed at all even the "please leave this card" was hidden from the cleaners.

-My first-in-life struggle of missing ashtray of non-smoking room, the staff suspioucily asked if I have taken non existing piece of ashtray as a souvenir. Luckily there was no long queue in the check out and no hurry to the next place.

Taxi drivers outside the hotel are trying to scam people (e.g. asking 70 money for the trip that is worth 20). That is typical to all hotels in Beijing. Make sure that the taxi is metered and driver has license on dashboard -that can minmize a bit the risk of getting scammed. The porters are co-operating with these non-licensed drivers, but will get the real licensed taxis from the street if so demanded. Jus act like you have frequented the city many times and know the difference.

Unique Quality: Walking distance from the Forbidden City north gate

trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Nice location - average hotel

by written on August 29, 2006

The Red Wall hotel itself is nothing exceptional, but we liked the location. It is within easy walking distance of Jin Shan park, the Beihai park and Wangfujing Street, and the north entrance of Forbidden City is just about two blocks away. We also took a walk to the north through some interesting old hutongs, some of which were being replaced by modern housing.

Our first morning we were enchanted by the approach to the Forbidden City northern gate as we passed along the waterway and crossed the bridge to the entrance. Arriving rather early, we encountered no lines or crowds, and enjoyed the Imperial Garden in near solitude. We had plenty of time to work our way south through a good part of the Forbidden City before meeting up with the crowds and tour groups that had entered from the Gate of Heavenly Peace.

Avoid it!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 20, 2006

Chose this hotel because of it's location near Wangfujing. It was rated as a 4* hotel on the booking site where I booked it. We arrived very late at night due to delay of our flight into Beijing. The check-in was smooth, staff friendly. However all that changed when we went into our room. It was very small but ok. But the big shock was the bathroom. One of these rooms where the shower is not separated from the rest. You could actually take your shower while using the toilet and everything would be under water. We spent some 45 minutes to arrange another hotel and then went to the reception to check out. They were refusing to let us go without paying for the night. They even made the comment that "we spent one hour and did something" and now just don't want to pay. My girlfriend became furious and an argument began because they were accusing us of being in the room for some sort of business for one hour. The staff at reception was arrogant and absolutely not trained in dealing with unsatisfied clients. So this should give an impression what kind of hotel this is. However we got our deposit back and went on to another Hotel. Do not consider to stay there while you are in Beijing!

Directions: Near Wangfujing Shopping Street, Tian An Men Square

rochellevm's Profile Photo

Hotel near Forbidden City

by written on April 9, 2006

This is a good hotel I would recommend to anyone who wants to live near theForbidden City. The back gate of Forbidden City is pretty close, about 10 minutes walk. Thus, you can easily wake up in the morning to take photos at sunrise. The breakfast is so-so. But the room is tidy and comfy.

Unique Quality: It is near the Forbidden City

• Beijing Red Wall Hotel
  • Redwall Hotel Beijing
  • Red Wall Beijing
  • Hotel Red Wall

Address: 31 North Shatan Road, Dongcheng District, Beijing, Beijing, 100009, China

9 Photos of Red Wall Hotel

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Beijing Travel Forum

Need advice about Beijing, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Beijing and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Beijing hotel reviews