Shatan

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Excellent Hotel in amazing location

Near the Redwall and for a similar price, under 40€ (double room no breakfast), is the Shatan Hotel where we stayed for 8 nights just under 4 years ago. This Business Hotel was clean and reasonably modern, with excellent staff in a super location. The down side is that it's not the Hilton. It does not have bacon & eggs for breakfast, the rooms are not huge (unless you're comparing them to French hotel rooms), and , heavens to betsy, some of the staff have the nerve to speak only Chinese! It is not a Western style hotel. The breakfasts (see picture on my VT page) are unusual, although my wife quite enjoyed them. I found pickled cauliflower, of which I am quite fond, a bit odd for breakfast. But I always found something to fill me up. The prices I found on the internet did not include breakfast, so you don't have to eat there. One of the staff who spoke limited English brought us packets of buiscuits and crisps to take on the flight with us! Recent reviews on Trip Advisor are generally very favourable, but apart from the odd individual complaint, most of the low scores criticize it for being, well, Chinese. The location is about 5 minutes walk to Jingshan Park which leads into the spectacular Belhai Park, less than 10 minutes to the Forbidden City, and about 15 minutes to Wang fu Jing Street and the Night Market. And the street the hotel is located on is amazing, busy until about 10 pm but we never found it noisy and we had a room overlooking the street. If you want to experience a hotel which caters to Chinese customers as well as tourists and want to immerse yourself a bit in Chinese culture, then the Shatan is a good bet.

• celsomollo's Profile Photo

Beijing's Best

I love my stay at the Shatan Hotel.
    The staff is friendly and helpful and most of them spoke very good English.
    There is a good restaurant there where you can also order western food.
    It has Internet access and a clean environment.
    I definitely recommend this hotel!

Unique Quality: It has to be its location, The Shatan back street is a quiet bucolic street with fruit and food vendors, but not the ones who approach you all the time.
    It is within a walking distance from Jinshang Park and The Forbidden City.

Directions: The Shatan Hotel is located in Beijing city centre close to the Forbidden City, Jingshan and Beihai parks, 10-minute drive from the railway station and 40-minute drive from the airport.

More about Shatan

Finally!!!! Next March in Beijing!!!

by gerbera44

I'll spend 7 days in Beijing, with my 32 years old daughter, in the last week of March 2008. We are coming from Roma, Italy. I booked tickets but I've some
difficulties in choosing the Hotel as is not so easy to take a decision through Internet. Beautiful photos, good reports but.... I tryied to book a room at Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing but it is complete. Now I'm waiting for an answer from Shatan Hotel. And if they have not a room? Have you any suggestion for a central, small, not so touristic Hotel?

The second question is: to know China is my life dream, my daughter dream is to
buy cashmere sweaters and feather coats (down coats). Where to go?

I love people but I hate crowd and turistic places. How can I avoid this? 22-30
of March is a touristic period? And what about weather?

Thanks for answering, Patrizia

by ellyse

What is your expected price range for accommodation?
No, that's not a touristy period in China.
Look on Weather Underground (Beijing) for weather data: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html

by SallyM

We stayed in the Peace Hotel in Wangfujing, which is not far from the Park Plaza. We thought it was a very good hotel, and the breakfast buffet was excellent.

by MikeySoft

I know Beijing sometimes has bad sand/dust storms in spring. Not sure if March is the sand/dust storm season but maybe someone from Beijing can tell you the probability so you will be know.

by gerbera44

Thanks for all replies! I'm waiting for Shatan Hotel reply if they have or not a room avaliable. I hope it will be a pleasant Hotel for my budget (room max
50€ euros x day). And what about my daugther?s shopping on cashmere and feather coats? Patrizia

by ellyse

There should be plenty of winter sales going on at that time, so poke around the department stores.

by paulwf

Consider the Nanjing Great Hotel. It is next to Wangfujing Street, the main shopping street. Here you will find your sweaters & coats. The hotel is also close to the Forbidden City (about 20 mins walk). I visited Beijing in April. It was a little bit cold then so it will be even colder in March. I suggest you buy some warm clothes at Wangfujing Street. There were sand storms in April - it looks like air pollution but it was never a problem. I think there will always be crowds in Beijing because of the local population but they weren't so bad in April so should be ok in March.

by ellyse

Nanjing Hotel, not Nanjing Great Hotel, I presume?
On the same street you also have Kapok Hotel (more expensive) and Tang Yue Hotel (cheaper).

Comments