Super 8 Hotel Beijing Bird's Nest

Building 8, Anhui North Block, Chaoyang District, Beijing, Beijing, 100101, China
Super 8 Beijing Bird's Nest
Agoda.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Beijing

The Hall of Eminent Favour (Emperor Yongle)The Hall of Eminent Favour (Emperor Yongle)

...walking thru......walking thru...

BirdsnestBirdsnest

entranceentrance

Needed an english speaking travel guide in Beijing.

by juma

Dears Travellers

I will be going to china from 19-09 to 26-09. the first four days in Beijing and the other two days in shanghi. Any recommendations from you is highly appreciated

Best regards
juma

by ellyse

Do a search on the TripAdvisor (China) forums, there're plenty of recommendations there.

by yellowbell

For Shanghai, you should definitely not miss taking the Huangpu river cruise at night to see a row of colonial buildings called Bund and watching the Charming Shanghai Acrobat show.

For directions and pictures, please view my article http://www.ehow.com/how_5050876_chic-cruise-around-shanghai.html

by greencargirl

There is a tour guide for Beijing that I met recently at a VT meetup here. His name is Alvin, and you can email him here: alvinbenton@yahoo.com

He speaks english fluently, has a car, knows alot about the city/sites, and has a great reputation among some of the VT travelers including the two that I met at the meetup (SandiM and Lindyz - you can find them by searching the members). I haven't used him myself, but if I needed a guide he'd be one I'd consider for sure.

Enjoy your trip!

Susan

by Homanded

I've used Alvin and originally found him through a search.
Since then, we've recomended him to several VT members, all who have praised him highly.
His contact information is on our pages under transportation.
Make sure and tell him hi from Homer and Ed if you contact him.

As the previous poster mentions, he speaks perfect English, has own vehicle and can help you with all aspects of your journey.

We LOVED China, Beijing in particular!

Homer

by hkan

We just returned from Beijing and we hired Alvin, who was recommended by a number of people on VT, to take us to the Great Wall.

Alvin was terrific, providing most informative background on history of the Great Wall and China. He is definitely the one to call. You can reach him at alvinbenton@yahoo.com. Tell him Hubert recommended you.

Travel Tips for Beijing

TIANANMEN SQUARE
Tian an Men...

by SirRichard

TIANANMEN SQUARE
Tian an Men is said to be the biggest square in the world. I don't know if that is true, but it seems so!. Anyway, it is always full; most of the people here is chinese, they take lots of photos everywhere. They sit on the floor (strange, there are no benches in all this huge square) eat and drink here... If you visit in summer, bring a hat or umbrella, there's little shadow here.
During the Ming and Qing eras, the square was enclosed by a red wall. Commoners were permitted entry only to be executed. The wall was destroyed during the 1911 revolution, and the square has quadrupled in size. Now a half-million people can stand there.

Hocking everything up

by nattybabe

The Chinese are huges fans of hocking up everything in their throat and spitting it anywhere and everywhere. They believe that it is a hygenic thing to do, more so than our western tradition of blowing our noses and sticking the tissue in our pockets!

Do not be offended by the constant sounds of loosening throats, just remember to watch where you're walking!!

Watching Track & Field

by SLLiew

Great to be at the Brid Nest to watch the track and field events.

The whole stadium and China including myself were shocked and heart broken when we watched Athens Olympics men 110m hurdle gold medalist Liu Xiang of China limped during his warm up jump over a few hurdles in the last heat of the 1st round. After a false start, Liu Xiang withdraw with agony of pain and his hope of winning the gold again was gone. The whole stadium fell silence when the announcement was mad.

At times, several events are happening concurrently - a running event, a long jump, pole vault or hammer.

This was where John Bolton of Jamaica broke the men 100m world record.

Shop til you drop!

by BangkokDave about Hongqiao Market (Pearl Market)

Pearls, Pearls, shirts, golf clubs(be careful w/ customs), purses(ditto), belts, etc....... Haggle for everything and haggle hard. The bargains are fantastic, but beware there is a lot of junk. I loved it and got some great stuff. Pearls for my family and friends, a Columbia winter coat, some Cubavera shirts, a belt, and a travel suitcase that was in pieces by the time I got home.

Bar Street

by Lemonita about All along the Bar Street

I guess everyone has heard about this Bar Street (Jiuba Jie) which real name is Sanlitun. It's where we can find foreign people in Beijing. All along the street, we would find at least a dozen of bars.

When the weather is warm enough, we can sit outside. Drinks are very expensive for China I think, a Heineken cost me 25 RMB.

I don't quite like it as it doesn't have that much ambience anymore. It's more like people watching for me.

Comments