The Regent Beijing

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about The Regent Beijing

Loved the Regent Beijing and Beijing

by TripAdvisor Member JZ

Regent Beijing was outstanding. Beautiful, friendly, comfortable, helpful. I traveled with my husband (who likes value) and 2 adult daughters (in their 20s) and all 4 of us loved this hotel. It costs more than other hotels in Beijing, however, a similar room in other major cities would be at least double the cost. Even my husband thought it a good value! We would definately stay again.

Beijing also exceeded our expectations-- will post that separately.

We did NOT, however, have a positive experience with expedia. My husband was told that breakfast was included in our rate by an expedia employee. When we got to the hotel, this was not the case. We tried to remedy the problem with expedia by phone, but were not at all satisfied with the customer service.

Fabulous Regent Beijing

by TripAdvisor Member CalgaryTravellers

We stayed three nights in a deluxe room at the Regent, during our 10 day vacation in China.

We had a perfect stay. Beautiful hotel, gorgeous well equipped room, great breakfast buffet, gorgeous western style restaurants, courteous and prompt service.
Nice gym, the swimming pool is out of this world.

This is one of the most beautiful hotels we have stayed in anywhere in the world. You won't be disappointed.

Loved the Regent

by TripAdvisor Member kobri

The Regent Beijing was the first hotel we have stayed during our annual 4-weeks long China journey, and it was one of the best hotels during our visit. We have booked a club room, which was spacious and very nice designed, bathroom just perfect with a lot of amenties. The Club also very nice and a breakfast service very good. We didn't eat in hotel restaurants, though we had some drinks in a bar and at the Grill, and the service was very good. The concierge was very helpful. The location of the hotel is very good, walking distance to Forbidden City and a short drive or walk to shopping street and Oriental Plaza. The taxi drivers don't know the hotel however, which is actually quite normal for Beijing, since they have most taxi-drivers coming from the country and they don't know a lot of Beijing. In the building next to hotel there are a couple of very good restaurants. The Regent is now my favourite in Beijing, and I have stayed in several five-star hotels in Beijing so far.

Heavenly!

by TripAdvisor Member newyorker07

If you're looking for a fabulous hotel in Beijing, look no further! The Regent Beijing is as memorable as the historic sites we went to see. Personally, I don't think the Emperors of China had it this good.

The hotel is barely a year old which means it was designed with the most up to date amenities. Our deluxe room was incredibly spacious and beautiful in decor. Of course, it has all the usual conveniences and amenities of a top shelf five star hotel, ie. flat screen LCD tv, dvd/cd player, featherbed, high thread count sheets, fluffy towels, marble bathroom, etc... But they had a bit more. The bathroom has a free standing bathtub and separate shower. The shower has both a rainshower shower head and a hand held shower. They also provide bath salts and bubble bath.

The location is ideal. The hotel is within walking distance of the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, the night market (food stalls), Dragonfly (massages) and Starbucks (to the left of the hotel). If you're adventurous, the subway is next to the lobby. It's the Dengshikou stop on the number 5 line (just opened Oct. '07). Unfortunately, getting to the hotel is a problem. None of the cab drivers know where it is. BE SURE TO HAVE THE HOTEL'S PHONE NUMBER ON HAND so the driver can call and ask for directions. Or even better, print out the map on their website. Once you're at the hotel, ask them for a card with the hotel name and address in Chinese. This will help you get back.

The restaurants are top notch. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Cafe 99 and the ribeye steak at the Bar & Grill. Let's not forget the great spa, gym and heated pool. Definitely shedule a massage in the evening. You'll sleep even better afterwards.

Service is good overall. Everyone is very courteous. However, they could brush up on their English skills. Check in was very disappointing. We arrived from NY on a direct flt. (16 hrs.) at 5:30 PM and were told we had to come back in an hour because the room wasn't ready. We didn't get a good first impression but that was the only glitch. Fortunately, checking out was a breeze.

We've stayed in numerous 5 star hotels around the world and we thought the Regent Beijing had the most beautifully appointed rooms. We were reluctant to leave the hotel even though we were in Beijing to see the sites. I think that says it all.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Kingmaker

This is a lovely modern chic hotel. The reception area is impressive the rooms fully equipped and comfortable. The whole spa area is really fantastic - a full size swimming pool and a very large gym with lots of equipment. I paid a very reasonable price for the room but anything else in the hotel (food and drink) is very expensive. It is 20 minutes walk from the Forbidden City - and there is a Starbucks in the hotel complex!!

Nice Surprise

by TripAdvisor Member gitmee

We originally booked the Park Plaza which was just next to the Regent. When we checked in, the concierge told us that we were upgraded to the Regent with no additional cost!

We pay HK$900 per night and enjoyed a spacious modern room wth a King size bed and buffet breakfast for 2. The bathroom was well equipped with supplies of leg balm and body scrub among other basic stuffs.

Really no complaints for such a good price!

Superior hotel but inferior Front Desk services

by TripAdvisor Member titusbikegirl

I stayed in Regent for 3 days and I had a good time staying in this modern superior hotel. The room is spacious and meticulously designed.
Only one thing I would lke to make a remark, though only one thing but should not be trivial. The services at Front Desk shocked me. First, I requested a non-smoking room but it's not availbale at the time I checked in. Then the staff at Front Desk explained to me that they could make a 'smoking room' with no smoke. Was she playing magic?
Second incident, I asked the lady at the Front Desk of where I could find a recognised Olympics shop, she gave me short & sharp answer in four simple words, "no, I don't know', and then she kept dropping her head down.
There were still a few silly things happened at the Front Desk while I simply want to make my review short.
It's a pity if the hotel does not notice their inferior Front Desk services comparing to their superior hardware design.
While lastly, to be fair, the valet services was good, I would like to pay the guys a compliment.

Excellent Luxury Hotel in Beijing

by TripAdvisor Member fabiobrsp

Stayed for 5 days at the begining of November 2007. The Regent is an excellent hotel and all the building is new. Our stay was outstanding and returning back to the hotel every evening was like retreating ourselves to an oasis.

After checking in, we found our booked room a little dirty, but we complained and the Manager herself appeared to present her apologies and grant us an upgraded room, which we really appreciated (we received a nice and modern suite, with an amazing and integrated bathroom/bedroom area). One of the best suites we have ever stayed in.

Leg balms and scrub cream are some extras I have never seen before in other hotels (you will find the leg balm specially useful after a daytrip to the Great Wall). The hotel restaurants are very good (specially the Italian one) but not cheap if compared to average local businesses. The swimming pool is the most beautiful indoor pool I have ever seen.

The rooms facing the big avenue in front of the hotel (I believe the name is Dongsi Dajie, not Jin Bao street, the official address, which I understand refers to the vehicle entrance - the hotel is located in the corner) and located in high floors have a view of the Forbidden City. The Forbidden City view is good, but not something to die for and, therefore, I wouldn't pay more for such specific view.

Such avenue in front of the hotel, by the way, is a good place to do shopping (besides the Wangfujing area, which is also close to the hotel). Just walk to your right after leaving the hotel and you will find several stores (clothes, shoes, bags, gifts etc) in the following blocks. If you are traveling on budget, check the Park Plaza, which is located in the same complex (two minutes by walk from lobby to lobby).

A truly beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member countFlorida

We were put up here Oct 1-2, right at the beginning of the Chinese National Holiday, on an overnight tour to Beijing from the Regent Mariner cruise ship, and were dazzled by the opulence of the room we were assigned - it was superb! There were about 700 of us on this tour, an included part of the Mariner's Grand Asia Pacific cruise (Vancouver to Los Angeles via Alaska, Russia, Japan, China, South-east Asia, Indonesia, Australia-New Zealand and the South Pacific), but the arrangements, food, and just about everything connected with it were exceptionally well done. Bravo!

Luxurious, relaxing & well situated

by TripAdvisor Member sigosling

I found the Regent to be an oasis of calm and luxury at the end of each busy day sightseeing. It is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, and some of the main shopping areas. This is ideal if you are only in Beijing for a short time.

Rooms
----------
I stayed for 2 nights in a Deluxe room on the 18th floor. The room was contemporary and beautifully decorated. The king-size bed was very comfortable. Good use of modern technology too - flat screen 32" TV, DVD/CD player, electronic blinds in the bathroom, and TV speakers in the bathroom. A large glass desk gives ample room to work and the large floor-to-ceiling windows let in lots of natural light. The in-room lighting can be dimmed and changed in various ways to produce a very relaxing atmosphere, which I found ideal after long days sightseeing around Beijing and at the Great Wall. Similarly, the large tub-bath and drench shower in the bathroom are excellent. Complimentary toiletries include relaxing leg balms, bath crystals, shower gels etc. It is possible to watch TV from the bath by opening the blinds in the bathroom.

Dining
---------
The buffet breakfast was super. It catered for English, Chinese, and Japanese cullinary tastes. Whichever your preference, there was a large selection of foods to choose frrom. Room service was also excellent, and always delivered quickly and hot. The hotel will even bring Starbucks drinks to your room if you wish (there is a Starbucks in the hotel grounds).

Service
----------
Front desk was always helpful and will happily provide advice on where to go sightseeing etc. They organised a taxi for the day to take me to the Ming Tombs and the Great Wall at Mutianyu (less touristy than Badaling), for only £40 (US$80). Bell boys are very attentive and will take care of your luggage as soon as your taxi arrives at the hotel. The 'Regent Touch' button on the phone in each room can be used to request whatever you want, e.g. room service, travel information etc.

I will certainly stay at the Regent next time I am in Beijing. I highly recommend it for both business and tourist guests.

for 2 usd you can take a swimfor 2 usd you can take a swim

I think he almost cracked a smile!I think he almost cracked a smile!

startstart

A poster outside showing the original buildingA poster outside showing the original building

taxi scams

hi
i have read with great interest and concern the various so called scams of the taxi drivers in beijing, it appears to be a serious issue. some of the reviews were dated and i hope the situation has improved somewhat now with china hosting the world to the olympics this year.

members please share your current experiences.

by xuessium

HI! Musaphir:

I took taxis while I was in BJ quite some time back and I didn't run into any problems at all. They are metered as well and I encountered no drivers unwilling to switch them off. Not sure if I'm lucky!

by xuessium

Sorry, I meant "switch on"....too fast with the typing....

by graeme83

I was plesently surprised by taxi drivers across China. Every one that I used turned on their meters and were surprisingly cheap.

by crewrower

musaphir, I have a "tip" on this on my Beijing and Shanghai pages.

Generally there is no problem in Beijing. But here are the golden rule: if a driver is standing outside of his car and beckoning you to get in, don't. Those guys are waiting to catch a sucker.

Otherwise, you should be OK.

tks crewrover
i have been a litttle perturned by the number of reviewers giving negative feedback. your response is somewhat reassuring.

graeme83
i tend to agree with your opinion.
i have travelled to some chinese cities previously and have found majority of the folks very helpful.

keeping my fingers crossed in this unchartered teritory.

tks

by tuff

Just came back from Beijing and had no problems with taxi. The drivers always turn the meter on, you will get a print out receipt at the end of the trip. I also use the subway system, it's cheap and efficient.

hi tuff
tks.it is a bit reassuring. could be things are changing in view of the forthcoming olympic games and the government campaigns to prepare the citizens, in particular the taxi drivers to aquire basic english knowledge to be able to assist foreigners visiting the games.
regards

by tuff

Other things you can do to help yourself is obtain a local map with both English and Chinese, point out your destination to the taxi driver or have your hotel write down your destination in Chinese so you can show the taxi driver.

hi tuff
tks for your suggestion. i have already acquired a guide book with names in english and chinese.
regards