9B Financial Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, Beijing, 100032, China

Agoda.com Westin.com Expedia.com

Costs 67% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

The Westin Beijing, Financial Street

Brand new hotel with sleek decoration. Guest room is spacial, bathroom with separated shower and bath tube.

Service also feels good, there are a self-assisting bar at the check-in counter, have a drink while waiting for your card key.

Location is also good, offices of many top banks are within 5 mins ride. However, if your office is on the east side of the city, trust me, you never want to try this hotel cuz the morning traffic will kill you more than 1 hr.

Unique Quality: Has a famous SPA on site, about 100 USD an hour for full body.

Directions: Financial Street, Fuxing Gate, within the west 2nd ring road.

• fivehappytravelers's Profile Photo

The best hotel for a family visiting Beijing

We booked a two bedroom apartment through wotif.com at a very reasonable rate. With 3 small children we have space, a ktichen and all the facilites of a 5 star hotel. An added bonus is your own washer/dryer in the kitchen so you don't pay to get your dirty laundry done. I cannot fault this place at all. Impeccable service, friendly with the children, comfortable beds, all the facilites of a five star hotel. Atmosphere wise you could be anywhere in the western world, but after a week of travelling through central China with children that's not a bad thing. It is a fair walk to Tianamen Square, about 30 minutes but taxi's are cheap.
    The breakfast buffet is superb and the kids don't pay. There is a small kids club the children can unwind at with toys, indoor playground and a playstation for the bigger kids. This helps them alleviate the stresses of traveling to temples and walking around town all day.

Unique Quality: A fully serviced two bedroom apartment with all the five star facilities attached. Also has an in room spa service for tired mums. The kids can play in one room while you get a massage in the other.

Directions: Financial District

More about The Westin Beijing, Financial Street

Wonderful experience

by TripAdvisor Member ohmyGOSH

I stayed at the Westin Beijing in April 2007 shortly after it opened. I am Platimum level for Starwood so perhaps my treatment by the staff was above average. Nevertheless, our expereince at this hotel was wonderful. The rooms are smallish but beautifully apponted. The executive louge was great. The staff was so responsive. It is not near any tourist sites but taxis are cheap and plentiful. This was my 13th visit to China for business and one of my nicest hotel expereience. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Good as a business hotel (for some) and not a good pick for others

by TripAdvisor Member Worlds_of_Wonder

On its website, the Westin Beijing touts itself as a place to "Calm the mind. Excite the senses. Find renewal." Such claims are unjustifiable. The hotel is a busy hotel, with lots of construction in the neighborhood, huge wood room doors that, despite their beauty, are prone to slamming, and noisy service staff.

What it is a true business hotel, in close location to major banks, the Chinese Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC), and the Chinese Insurance Regulatory Commission. If you have business with these entities or a conference at the hotel or in the area of the hotel, then I would recommend considering this hotel. Otherwise, I would consider other hotels in Beijing.

This hotel is definitely not the best option for tourists--it is far away from major sites and the two nearest subway stations are a long haul (particularly in the hot Beijing summer). The hotel website underestimates the time to the airport and the train station, too. There is a so-called "Bar Street" near the hotel that will make you feel like you are in a mall in "anytown USA
(good for some, a horrible disappointment for others). On this Bar Street, you will find a Starbucks, a TGI Fridays, and other restaurants that have nothing to do with China. If you speak Mandarin, then there are food options within a 5-6 block radius of the hotel, but they remain a long (hot) haul by foot.

On the positive side, my room was excellent in terms of size and amenities. All the equipment worked well. There was a room safe deposit box, sized to allow for the storage of one's laptop. The work space was good, too. The bathroom is nice, but the "rain shower" dumps water at a horrendous pace, a real luxury (waste?) in water deficient Beijing. Another plus is that the hotel offers various health drinks, bottled waters, and pre-packaged wipes to guests in an area near the reception desk.

I found the staff uneven in quality. Sometimes they were friendly. Other times they were cold. Housekeeping employees sometimes cleaned my room properly. Other times they did not. Sometimes, concierge staff gave me good advice. Other times they seemed to have their own pockets in mind.

To reiterate, I really would recommend this hotel only for business travelers having business in the area or at the hotel.

Top quality hotel in Beijing

by TripAdvisor Member catx

The Westin Beijing is a new property in an area that is being built up with other top end hotels, lots of restaurants and shops. On arrival we were greeted at the car, our luggage was taken care of and we were escorted to the check-in on the club floor by a very nice hotel worker.
Our room had been upgraded to what they call their Renewal rooms. It is a spacious (around 60sqm I think) room with a desk, a king size bed, LCD/Plasma TV, walk in closet and a very spacious bathroom with a large shower/hot tub area. Everything was new, beautiful, clean and top end. Very spacious. Nice amenities like soaps, shampoos, comb, nail files, etc. etc. were in the room. Large safe. Lots of dark wood. Everything smelled new and clean.
The Renewal room included having a person prepare a bath every evening. While I am not interested in it, my wife was and we had it done. I didn't have the bath but it really smelled nice and there were lots of candles lit all around the bathroom. Very nice.
There are several restaurants in the hotel. We tried the Cantonese (don't remember the name) and the Italian (Prego). Both had very, very good food, fantastic service and very good ambience. There is also a buffet restaurant (I don't like buffets so we didn't try it but it looked great), a sandwich bar (we didn't try) and a cigar room (didn't try but looked great).
We would have tried more restaurants but our room included club floor access. The club floor has a very extensive breakfast buffet (Western and Chinese) and an evening cocktail services (enough food to qualify as dinner) with free drinks including wine/beer/liquor. Soft drinks and coffee (including espresso) is available throughout the day.
If you get tired of the hotel food there are at least 10 restaurants within 2 blocks (3 minutes), Starbucks, smoothie place, KFC, Friday's, Chinese restaurant, French bakery, Japanese, etc.
Service in the hotel was very good, world class. The room was made up in the morning, in the late afternoon and on request.
The hotel staff was very eager to help with anything from recommendations for restaurants and sight-seeing to arranging tickets for the Beijing Opera.
One small observation that is indicative of the hotel, when you press the elevator button it takes less than 1 second until the light above the elevator that will be coming lights up. The elevator arrives within a few seconds and in no case over 10 seconds. In so many hotels you have to wait forever for an elevator, especially at check-out time and at dinner time. Not at this one.
We used the spa services, the spa area was very nice, quiet and beautiful. The treatment rooms had shower (with LED lights changing colors in the ceiling, looked like a starry sky) and steam shower. The therapists were very good and professional, it is very clear that no "extra" services are provided.
The gym area is very well equipped with LifeFitness and other high end brands with LCD screens. I worked out in the morning, afternoon and evening. Always gear available. The gym also has
sauna, steam shower, large hot tub, showers (all these separate for male/female) and then a very large pool with a bar and access to the outside where you could sit in lounge chairs and have a drink.
What are the negative observations? The Financial area is still like any other financial district, by 6pm it is pretty much dead and if you want a lot of people mingling in bars you need to take a taxi. I think this will change by next Spring when more entertainment is built up.
The air pollution is second only to New Delhi in my view (but that's not the hotel, it's Beijing).
You can spend a lot less money in Beijing than staying and eating here so if that's a concern you shouldn't stay here. I thought it was very good value for money, especially including the club floor.
Summary: World class hotel, fantastic service, great restaurants, great gym, great spa.

Loved the Westin-Should Be Rated Higher!

by TripAdvisor Member romadaro

I know there are lots of good hotels in Beijing and this property is definitely among the best. On check-in my wife and I were greeted by the doorman and our luggage taken care of while we were escorted to the Club Floor for check-in. By the time this process was completed, the bellman had delivered our luggage and was waiting to explain the features of our upgraded suite. The breakfast and evening spreads in the Club Lounge were phenominal and the staff was falling over each other to help. Every evening one or two of them would stop by to find out how our day had gone and offer suggestions for the next days tours. Although the hotel is in the business district, it also caters to leisure travelers and is in an area that offers a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the heart of the city. Don't hesitate to book this property...you won't regret it!

Excellent Hotel and Staff

by TripAdvisor Member djrmddmd

This is simply one of the finest Westin Hotels in the World. The location is close to all of the major tourist attractions and shopping.
Taxis are plentiful and inexpensive.. Great breakfast and seafood buffets as well... The staff is attentive and most helpful and there is a convenient, staffed business center, as well.
I would stay her again in a hearbeat....

Very good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Elliot_Carver

As the other reviews have noted, this hotel is not really close to any of the tourist sites, but as long as you have the name of the hotel written out in Chinese characters (something they are prepared for with many cards) it is not an issue. My wife and I stayed for three nights while visiting the city for fun. The concierge desk does share itself with the tourist desk and they are different, but not marked as such. One is trying to sell you packaged tours to make money, while the other can assist you in acquiring a much cheaper private car/taxi to see the same sites.
The hotel has a clean spa with a sauna, steam room, hot tub and pool for all guests, which was quite refreshing after the long flight. The rooms were also decently sized and quite comfortable. The breakfast was quite good, with western and local selections.

We enjoyed our stay.

too big for its britches

by TripAdvisor Member Zoeycat

Spent 3 nights at the WB as part of a Viking River Cruise tour, and I must say I was dissappointed. It started out badly when we went for the buffet dinner. Our flight was late but they knew we were coming (there was over 100 of us); still it seemed as if they were miffed that we were there. As a matter of fact, one of the hostesses was only blatantly RUDE Chinese person we met on our entire trip. So dinner was not a pleasant experience.
Our own electrical transformer didn't work so the front desk sent one up to us. We plugged it in and all the lights went out. They sent up a maintenence man and, after checking, determined the transformer was broken. He flipped the breaker and brought us another transformer which worked fine -- these things happen I guess.
The sheets were scratchy; the pillows fat and hard.
We called one night as we were getting ready to go out, and ordered two drinks from the room service menu. This seemed to be more than they could handle. I talked to several people trying to get someone who could speak enough English to place my order. Then we got a call saying they were "out of" one of the drinks we ordered. They ran out of vodka? OK so we cancelled the order, by then it was too late anyway, and we went to dinner at another restaurant. When we got back we got a call saying they tried to deliver our drinks but we were not in the room and would we like them delivered now?
Then there's the fancy phone that supposedly does everything but whistle dixie, however it didn't work. There was a little hole in the side, so I thot maybe it was for a stylus-thingie but there was no stylus-thingie. Fingers and pens didn't work. We had to call the front desk for every request because there are no phone numbers for room service, maintenance, wake-up calls, etc. You're supposed to use your phone screen for these things and ours didn't work. There was no attempt to fix it.
The hotel is beautiful, the rooms nice, but I think they need to pay a little more attention to the running of the hotel and a little less attention to the glitz.

Amazing China

by nomad7890

"Beijing and Shanghai in seven days"

There are many beautiful sights in China, but this page is dedicated to its greatest and most valuable asset - its people. The sights were beautiful - but it was the people who evoked my feelings of gratitude and surprise, who built the wall of China, who laugh, work, and play together to make this amazing place what it is today. So, to the people of China, my awe and sincerest appreciation!

For this first excursion to China I planned a short trip. Many people questioned why go so far for such a short stay, but my objective was to get an introduction to the country, as from reading other people's posts I knew that once you visit, you want to return -and I'm already planning the second visit!

After looking at many organized tours I decided I did not want to adhere to someone else's itinerary -and I hate feeling like a hostage- so I decided to go on my own, but use some upper scale hotels where the concierge took care of my needs. This plan worked like a charm, and actually ended up costing less than booking a tour.

I flew into Shanghai and continued on to Beijing. Good thing is that I added three hours between my arrival and flight to Beijing as my flight from the US was late and I would have missed my connection had I booked an earlier flight from Shanghai to Beijing.

After a long flight from the US to Shanghai and a flight from Shanghai to Beijing it was *wonderful* to be received by a person arranged by the Westin Beijing Financial Street, taken to an ATM as I requested, and whisked the short way into a Mercedes Benz. Upon arrival at the hotel I was met by the concierge and taken to my (awesome) room, where I was checked in at the room. Now that is *service* well worth the additional expense upon arrival. I took a much less expensive taxi back to the airport, and next time I'm taking the metro ;=)

The concierge arranged for a driver and a guide. Although I had planned to spend a full three days in Beijing sightseeing, we visited many of the sights on the first day, so the guide suggested that I only keep them two days and have an extra day on my own. The guide's suggestion was excellent as I had an extra day to go shopping and learn to ride the metro - and to make it great the concierge assigned one of the people from the hotel to accompany me around town -at no extra charge!

When you engage a car and driver thru the concierge, make sure and give them a good detailed list of what you want to see (I did) - but do put an alternative plan very clearly, that if you are done by a certain time you can add more things to the first day. All was well, but it did seem they would have stopped after all the places listed for the first day were visited, although it was around 1:00 PM ... so make sure you set expectations to sight see from 8:30 to 5:30 - not necessarily when the list of places for a day are completed. Good, precise communication will prevent misunderstandings.

This itinerary may be a little rushed for most people, and if I did it over I would probably leave Summer Palace for early morning of the third day.
Time was split between Beijing and Shanghai - each days's itinerary appears in each of the sections below.

This trip could be a bit rushed for those who like to linger - for me it was perfect as I needed to be back home but really wanted to go take a peek!
And yes, I fell in love with China and am hoping to go back to an itinerary suggested by a person from China I met in the plane.

"Beijing"

Day 1 (with driver and guide)

Tianammen Square
Forbidden City
Behai Park ... a *must* !!!
Temple of Heaven
Summer Palace *as I commented, this would be best in one morning.

Day 2 (with driver and guide)

Great Wall at Mutianyu
Stop to see the Olympic Stadium - "the nest" on the way
Lama Temple

Day 3 (with concierge from hotel)

Shopping
Peking Duck lunch at a place I selected, treated person from concierge
Foot massage ... I needed it by now ;=)

Day 4 - Beijing

-Took regular taxi *arranged by concierge* to airport at 5:30 AM to fly to Shanghai (I don't like to take public transportation so early in the morning and did not want to experiment to the airport when the taxi fare was around $30)

"Shanghai"

- Had hotel BMW pick me up (St. Regis Shanghai) - followed same procedure where the concierge waited my arrival and checked me in at my room.

*Alternative: If you have the concierge forward you a note with directions to the hotel that you can give the taxi driver, it is *very easy* to take the Maglev into town, and take a taxi from the Maglev station to the hotel. I did enjoy the special treatment though, although I was no longer tired and could have taken the Maglev.

- Rest of the day I was on my own and took taxi's - make sure you have a card or note with the place name and directions in Chinese for every place you want to visit to show the taxi, and a card to get back to the hotel.

Went to:

- Pearl Tower
- Super Brands Mall (just for a half hour or so - I was looking for touristy stuff and they have, as the name states, brand name stores, Nike, etc).
- Huxinting Tea House in Old Town
- River cruise at night

Day 5

Took taxi to:

-Confucius Temple
-Yu Garden *get here as early as you can to avoid crowds! *

Took Maglev to the airport. The St. Regis concierge provides a "personal butler" when you book a nicer room. The personal butler accompanied me to the airport so I would not have any problems taking the taxi to the Maglev station and getting off at the right place at the airport.

Maglev by the way is a quick 15 minute ride if that long - amazing!

Beijing Hotel in Chaoyang District!

by Hoytie

I am looking for a recommendation for a hotel in the Chaoyang District of Beijing. Near the Yashow Clothing Market would be preferable but not totally necessary. Price range can be up to $200.00 per day. Thank you.

by xymmot

$200 a day is very generous in China and you should have the very best. There are many hotels in the area. I suguest the "Westin Beijing Chaoyand" 86-(10)5922-8888

by Hoytie

Thank you. The Westin looks like a very nice hotel. The Opposite Hotel looks nice, too, but is very expensive.

by ellyse

Is that $, 200 USD? Also, when would you be staying?

by reginaqingqing

200$ is too mucH. yOU can live very good hotel in a 30$ hotel. There are a lots of it. use google map.

by ellyse

"Very good" hotel for 30 USD?
It really depends on what your requirements and standards are. If travellers have more money and are more satisfied with more expensive hotels, it's their choice. In fact some travellers might not find 30 USD hotels "very good" for them, though it might be for you!

by herbre

i have to say you can book a very nice hotel if your budget is $200.00 per day.

Comments