Tiantan

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Hotel Near Red Theatre in Beijing

I stayed here for a couple of days while in Beijing. It is located fairly close to the Red Theatre, where the Kung Fu show is performed. Around and about the hotel is plenty of restaurants and shops, but sort of sparse in quality maybe. The No. 8 bus from near here can take you to Tiananmen square in about 15 minutes. It's not really within walking distance of much for the tourist as far as I could see, but Beijing is a big city and things to see are spaced about.

Regarding the hotel itself, the lobby is grand - large, spacious and colorful with plenty of sitting area. The decor is quite nice and has the feel of China for my liking anyway. It's an inviting space when you walk in for sure. I don't speak Mandarin, but the hotel staff do their best with English and I appreciated that. Some understand better than others, but everyone was polite and tried their best to be accommodating and if they didn't understand, showed some patience in trying to. I like this kind of hospitality.

The room I had was quite nice, good bed, comfy chair with a foot rest, desk to work on, wide screen LCD TV, small area for making tea with a mini-bar below and a really fabulous bathroom that was quite modern, up to date and sort of stylish I thought. I didn't quite understand the collection of condoms offered here, and a wide assortment it was, but why not I guess. They had everything else too, toothbrushes, combs and the necessary soap and shampoo too. Even a telephone in the bathroom.

This hotel had lots of free bottled water in the room, but wifi was not available, although an ethernet connection could be used - does anybody use that anymore? Wifi was available in the lobby, however, it didn't seem to have much reach and didn't work in the dining area which was not located very far from the lobby. Speaking of the dining area - breakfast buffet is not really worth it, and especially so as it was not complimentary. Best to go elsewhere outside the hotel I think.

All in all, a decent hotel in Beijing - modern, comfortable and pleasant to stay. The rooms have good views too for the most part too due to it's shape and location. The hotel will exchange money at the desk at current rates with no commission, but don't rely on that service in the morning as sometimes they don't have current rates until noon time or so, but not sure why. Exchange in the evening is best. The area is busy outside, but that's Beijing too - Big and busy everywhere.

Unique Quality: Pleasant lobby sitting area, great views and friendly staff

Directions: Nearby Zhongshan Park and Red Theatre

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

A shelter is all that's needed

After staying at a great hotel in Shanghai, my expectations were even further improved for my stay in Beijing. The hotel was included in my tour itinerary so I was grateful to even be out of the cold of early spring here in China. This place wasn't as upscale as my hotel in Shanghai, but I can't complain too much. It's an average place with average facilities. The gift shop and spa are located on the upstairs. I didn't use the spa, though. The rooms were comfortable and although there was a bit of dust under the beds, I didn't care too much because I don't sleep under the bed anyways. The water pressure was good. Although the hot water worked better in the sink then it did in the shower. The breakfast in the morning was decent. The housekeeping was excellent and I always came back to a clean room. I applaud the conceirge because they tried their best to understand your needs and there was a smile. It's definitely no rat hole at all, but it's not exactly The Plaza in New York City (I've never stayed at the Plaza but I assume it's top notch). My complaints was that the connection for the internet was non-existent, due to the connection on the wall being loose and I couldn't get a signal on the LAN. It's definitely catered more to the business traveler. But it would do for me. And like I said, I'm not sure of the fixed rate per night since this hotel was part of my tour. It's best to call or check online at their site to see the exact amount. However, even though the website says 20 minutes to the airport, I thought it was longer, about 45 minutes. Because Beijing traffic is congested and something else! Xie xie!

Unique Quality: The basins in the bathrooms were interesting. They were in the shape of a bowl, perfect if you had any small items to wash if you're in a hurry to do laundry. There was also an emergency button next to the toilet, which I accidentally touched thinking it was the flusher. I found it a rather odd to have it there, but I won't question it. It's location was about a 20 minute walk to the Temple of Heaven and the same for the subway line.

• sorcieus's Profile Photo

Newly Renovated - Former Goverment Hotel

When I heard that this was a goverment hotel, I was reluctant to book my room there. But it was a high season in April, so I had no choice but to use this hotel.
    The room was small but very cozy and nicely done. The bathroom was very clean and beautiful. The staff were friendly and helpfull.
    They have business center with internet facility at the lobby.

Comments