Eling Park is the earliest private garden to be built in Chongqing. It is built on a high piece of land between the Yangtze and Jialing Rivers and is known for its superb views over the city.
Also known as 'Courteous Park' it was built as a private garden in 1909 and was originally the home of a wealthy merchant. It became the home of Chiang Kai-shek during the war against Japan and several embassies were built there. In 1958 it became a public park and was named Eling or 'Goose Neck' Park because of its narrow shape.
The park has many species of plants and small landscapes and has a beautiful stone bridge with intricately carved railings in the shape of rope. The lake is stocked with fish and is a popular place with the local people.
By Train to Chongqing
This train trip was by far one of the great adventures of my life.
I left from Zhanjiang (just above Hainan island), and traveled for 30 hours with a train change at Guilin.
Some tips: Have a Chinese friend purchase your ticket for you. If you are seen to be a foreigner, the price can double or even triple.
Go at least hard sleeper. There will be six of you on three tier bunks, but you get to stretch out, and the bedding is clean.
"On the way"
Now just sit back, make some friends, and enjoy the scenary of China like you rarely get to see it.
1. After it gets dark, do not attempt to watch a DVD on your laptop as I did. You will soon find out how many Chinese can crawl in your bunk, and how many can hang off the bunk above. All good fun, though it reminds me of phone booth packing in the old days.
2. Never ever leave your stuff alone. And sleep with your kit under your head.
3. There is a loo (toilet), but as always in China, carry those wet wipes. (Hey! They're not just for babies)
4. Carry earplugs, as people tend to chit-chat long after lights out.
5. On the first half of the trip, smoking was allowed, on the second half, it was not.
"On the train"
Showing the bottom of 3 tier bunk. Three more across from you.
1. Stay away from the top bunk because:
a. It's a long climb
b. It's a long fall
c. It's twice as hot
d. All the second hand cigarette smoke hangs up there.
e. People scream loudly when you step on them climbing down in the middle of the night.
"View from a China Train"
"View from China train"
"Guilin Train Station"