Hoi Tak Hotel

Expedia.com Ctrip.com Travelocity

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Chongqing

the best teahouse of Chongqingthe best teahouse of Chongqing

On a local boatOn a local boat

coming to Chongqing in February 2006

by bengolden

Hi everyone! I have several questions regarding banking and packing regarding my stay in Chongqing. I'll be teaching in China and making money, so I wanted to know the following if anyone can give me any tips...

1) Can I transfer the money I make In Chongqing to my American bank accounts? If so, what is the typical cost of doing so? How do I do it? I have payments to make while I'm abroad and I'd like to make sure I can do it.

2) Can I easily withdraw money from my checking/debit card in Chongqing?

3) Can I use my credit cards?

4) I need to take a 7 months supply of my medication with me...will I be stopped or run into any problems in the airports by having so much medication in my luggage?

5) What do you suggest I pack before heading to Chongqing such as toiletries not available there? Does anyone suggest I bring a lot of clothes or just buy more clothes when I get there? I know the brands differ, but how expensive are most clothes in Chongqing?

6) What are some of the top things that you wish people had told you to pack and what are some of the top things you wish you had known before going to Chongqing?

7) Lastly, I know the climate in Chongqing is very hot and humid. Is this a very uncomfortable place to live when it comes to climate?

If anyone has any other tips regarding banking or packing in general then that would be most appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, but if anyone could help me out that would be great...thanks!!!

Chongqing banking in February 2006

by Confucius

1. Yes, you can transfer funds but I hope your Chongqing salary is in US dollars. If not, then you must change the yuan into dollars before wiring it to your US account. Bank charges for overseas transfers vary, so shop around.

2. An interantional ATM card? Maybe somebody else can answer this one better than I can. I use a Hong Kong bank so I'm not sure about other cards.

3. Yes, you can use your credit cards but expect significant overseas surcharges for cash advances.

4. You won't have any problems with your medications in China's airports.

5. Lip balm and sunscreen are 2 things I suggest you bring from US. Do not bring a lot of clothes. Clothes in China are very cheap, so leave room in your luggage for other things.

6. You can never have enough gifts for your Chinese friends. Use extra room in your luggage for lots of stuff to give away. T-shirts, postcard sets, NBA basketball cards, picture books, scented highlighter pens, etc.

7. Chongqing is extremely uncomfortable during the summer. Hopefully, as a teacher, you'll have a vacation during this period so that you can escape the unbearable heat, humidity, and rain storms.

about banking

by belleli

as for money or credit card, if your money is us dollars or ur card is foreign card, i think they just could work in BANK OF CHINA, which is the unique bank for dealing with foreign exchange transaction.

as for ur credit card, if ur credit card is foreign card, i'm afraid it's not allowable in everywhere, coz some shops don't accept foreign card, my aunt ever bought one card from australia, also can't be used here (Haikou, Hainan), just several big marketpalces accept it.

hope it helps!

by rbosch

I can take money from most ATM machines in Chongqing with my Dutch debit card... Bank of China has a limit of 2500 Yuan per day, same as bank of communications... Agricultural bank has a limit of 2000 Yuan, but after the transaction I can repeat as many times as I want (until my money is gone, of course ;)

As for the heat in summer: I love heat, so I guess it's something personal... i just dislike the depressing, foggy winter weather and hope spring is coming soon again...

Anyway, welcome to Chongqing - see you soon

by Knight_Kadosh

I for one, certainly appreciate what has been shared here, as I may be making a business trip to Chongqing, in the next 3-4 months. I am sure this trip will not be disappointing, culturally speaking, and hopefully it will result in a business success also.

by saexp23

Calm down. America is not the only country that uses medicine. The only thing I find hard to get here is Aspirin for some strange reason. Large condom too. If you can prove you brought money in, you can repatriate it within a certain time limit, as you can a portion of your salary. Your credit cards will work and the only thing that will be a problem is communication, even if they do speak English.

Travel Tips for Chongqing

Foggy City

by cissy4170

Chongqing has so many things to see, the night piece, the traditional culture, the diet, the Chuang opera........ Standing by the river in the foggy evening, or walk down the flagging, the feeling is wonderful!

bird view from ropeway ,splendid

by cantobelle

ropeway here is not for tourist, but for daliy trans.

it's very long and very hight ropeway from hill to hill cross the two rivers , u will have very very wide and faraway sight.

u can't do it any other city in china nealy
everyone travel here should go to the ropeway i think.

Comments