Silk Road

AMOMA.com Hotelsclick.com

More about Dunhuang

Train from UrumqiTrain from Urumqi

South of JiayuguanSouth of Jiayuguan

....almost as crowded as in the grottos!....almost as crowded as in the grottos!

Sun-kissed sand dunesSun-kissed sand dunes

Yardang Park

by btlim

Plan to visit the Yardang from Dunhuang, would like to know how long it takes to drive from Dunhaung?

by ellyse

I forgot exactly how long (has been a long time since I was there) but it's a few hours drive from Dunhuang.

by Poling

Normally tourists pay for a taxi for a whole day tour including the Yumen Pass, Great Wall of Han Dynasty, Yadan Natural Landform and Yangguan Pass.

by ellyse

Yes, that's more or less what we did, but without Yang Pass.

by zlayman

I am going too.. How much do you know, to hire taxi for this trip?

by ellyse

When are you planning to go, and what would you include in your day? Rates would vary widely due to the season.

by zlayman

this will be in december.
would like to do Yangguan and yadan landfoam...then finish at liyuan station..
as we are not sure..how much we can see there in winter as it gets dark earlier?
otherwise,we will to see yumen-yangguan-greatwall of han's dynasty and yadan landfoam...
Any help?

by ellyse

I think a few years ago in winter we were able to start from Liuyuan train station and see Yumen Gate and the Yardang in a day. I don't remember the price though.
Did you have a look at my VirtualTourist Dunhuang travel page?

Travel Tips for Dunhuang

No need to bring a torch

by yirutang

In Mogao Cave, you can rent a torch. The torch you bring yourself is usually not as powerful as the torch they provid. In order to see the paint, you need very powerful torches, the best way is to rent one. Take care of your camera on MingSha hills. If they fall into the sand, they will be damaged.

Dunhuang

by SallyM

"It's greener than you think!"

As we flew in to Dunhuang, I noticed the desert being suddenly replaced by a large expanse of green. The oasis was somehow much larger than I had expected.

I was also surprised when I visited the Mingsha sand dune, to find an artificial lake and flowers.

"It's also wetter than you think!"

At one point en route to the Mogao caves our car had to leave the road as there was a diversion around some roadworks. Our guide explained that this was where a bridge was being replaced. It had been washed away by floods a couple of weeks earlier, trapping tourists at the caves for three hours.

Then there was a sandstorm, which meant that we were unable to visit the caves that day.

The following day, as we were leaving Dunhuang, there was a very heavy rainstorm.

Comments