No.20 Tianshui Middle Road,Chengguan Distrit, Lanzhou, Gansu, 730000, China

More about Lanzhou

View of Lanzhou & Yellow RiverView of Lanzhou & Yellow River

Life in Lanzhou

by Allun

Hi, I'm thinking of going to live and work in Lanzhou soon and I wonder if you can offer any thoughts on the life and environment there. For example, just how bad is the atmospheric pollution there? Do you have any other comments on life there? Thanks for your help Allun

Look up Gazza!

by Confucius

Last I heard he was playing for the local football team there.
Yes, Lanzhou is notorious for air pollution. However you will still manage to survive in good health if you get out of town every weekend...and that's the good thing about living in Lanzhou. There are many interesting places to visit in the surround Gansu provincial vicinity. Every weekend you can do an interesting excursion while getting fresh air at the same time.

by Iguacu

I'd sure think that decision out carefully, and do a lot of reseach. It is polluted, far away from everything, and unless you're desperate, you can do a lot better...

by mke1963

I have just returned from two days in Lanzhou, and it is a truly awful place. I tried hard to like the city, because often the grimiest, unappealing places have a certain charm, character or attractiveness that is overlooked.
But I gave up with Lanzhou. Although there are wonderful places to see within a very short distance of the city and fantastic countryside all over Gansu, the city is just a mess. The streets are harder to cross than anywhere else in China and even the parks look tired and unloved. I would genuinely like to like Lanzhou, but I cannot think of a good word to say about it, other than the station is excellent.
Lanzhou is an environmental nightmare and an example of how urban planners can destroy a city.

by victorwkf

Lanzhou is one of the biggest industrial cities in western china and therefore there are lots of pollution, poverty, people etc (bear in mind Gansu is one of the poorest province in China).

If you want to live and work in Western China, a good city would be Kunming in Yunnan province which is much better.

Rgds
Victor

by josuevjar

very
[url=http://www.hi5.com/]good[/url]

Travel Tips for Lanzhou

Bingling Si

by shelemm

The Bingling Si Grottoes can be visited in summer. I am told that access is only by water, and that the water in the Yellow River is too low most of the year. I visited the second week of August. Skies were clear and the air was mild. No humidity.

This is an extraordinary trip. I was expecting this to be a highlight of my trip to China, but I was not really prepared for the incredible beauty of the site.

There is a tourist ferry that takes you to the grottoes for about 95 rmb per person. I am told the trip takes approx. 2 hours each way and that you get about 90 minutes at the site. I knew beforehand that I probably wanted more time at the site, and that there would be the option of taking a private speedboat. Someone will approach you at the parking lot before you reach the ticket office for the regular boat. We were given and accepted the price of 600 rmb. A driver takes you 30 minutes by car to the powerboat launch area, and the speedboat ride is 30 minutes. The firs time you round the bend in the car and see the Yellow River, it is a magnificent sight. We spent 2.5 hours at the site. If you like rollercoasters, you will love the speedboat ride. It is wild. When you hit a wave, you will be sent into the air, I assure you. Think of it as a 30 minute rollercoaster ride. Still, I was able to take great photos on the trip.

There are grottoes to visit with the regular admission price of 50rmb per person, but these are fairly unimpressive. Once you are at the site, you will have the option of visiting two additional grottoes which are accessed from the giant staircase. This will cost an additional 300rmb per person, so this winds up being an expensive trip. I felt it was well worth the experience. The staircase is next to the giant buddha. You will also be approached at some point by somebody who will offer to take you by jeep to a further monastery. We did not do this. There is also a small, very nice museum at the grottoes with some beautiful relics and several places that serve food, bottles of cold water and tea at the dock where the boat lands. You could really make a longer day of it, if you wanted. Just make sure that the boat driver knows how long you intend to stay.

Comments