Grand Oriental Hotel

Travel Tips for Dongguan

my crib

by zephyrgurl108

"room 705"

on the uppermost floor of the 7-story building called building 15 is my room. actually i share this room with ester. there used to be a time when i was alone in this room, but the administration decided to impose the room sharing rule since there's an influx of expats being based in our little complex called the supply chain city.

what i love about this room is that it's got a nice view of a hill when u go out the patio. it reminds me of govardhan hill, a very special holy place in india.
some 5,000 years ago, the little boy Krishna lifted that hill to protect His devotees from torrents of rain which the envious rain god Indra cast...
hoping to go there this year (crossing my fingers)

what i dont like about my room is that it is located at the far end of the hallway - away from where the important stuff are - the laundry room and the water station.
how far? 80 steps

once somebody actually referred to our room as "the temple"...
aside from pictures of Krishna hanging on the wall and on table tops, and of course, my mandir (see down bottom of photo), incense abound.
when i go to guanzhou, gonna buy some of those big scented candles..

so when im too lazy to cook my own food, or dont have any time to do so, i resort to ordering food from the coffee shop on the ground floor of our building. there are only a few things i can eat from there - the cheese, tomato and lettuce sandwich with french fries; the fried vermicelli with bell pepper and strips of cabbage and the vegetable fried rice which consists of rice, lots of msg and leeks - oh and the mixed fruits plate.

and when we get bored or it's somebody's birthday, we all go to the videoke room and sing our hearts out in celebration...
yes there are videoke rooms in our buildings - and theyre located across the library. so the signage goes: please keep noise to a minimum level when using the videoke room (he he).
other things to make life less boring here: a foozball and darts room, majhong rooms, snooker room and gym.

surrounding the building is a well maintained garden...

did i mention that i live where i work?
our complex is a 1.5 million square feet of land where around 7,000 people converge. my office is a 3 minute walk from my residential building. at the end of this road is where my office is ...(sorry for the glare), i walk this stretch day in and out monday to saturday

Comments