Equatorial Hotel

More about Guangzhou

Location MapLocation Map

Monster masks on Halloween 2005Monster masks on Halloween 2005

Chinese MoneyChinese Money

How long is a bus or train trip from Guangzhou to Xiamen?

by bbmama88

Can someone who knows of any details to the above question, please drop me an email at barbiemama88@yahoo.com.sg. Or what is the cheapest price for a domestic flight to Xiamen & return to GZ?

Thanks

Re: How long is a bus or train trip from Guangzhou to Xiamen?

by ellyse

Trains:
K297/K300 (1908--0818) 13h10min
K229/K232 (1922--0910) 13h48min

Flight prices depend on your travel dates.

Re: How long is a bus or train trip from Guangzhou to Xiamen?

by Anetaa

Guangzhou boasts good domestic transportation links to most major Chinese cities and Hong Kong. There are also a few flights to International Asian and Australian destinations. http://www.muztagh.com/china-flight/guangzhou.htm

Travel Tips for Guangzhou

Shenzen

by keeweechic

Shenzhen is the centre of a Special Economic Zone and apparently has the highest growing in China. Shenzhen was formerly known as Bao'an County. Today the city is a major manufacturing center in China. One of Shenzhen’s high-rises lays claim to being the 8th tallest building in the world. The city has a population of more than 2 million and is located at the border to Hongkong.

Temple of the Chen Family (Chen Jia Si)

by jlee008

The Chen Family Temple was built as a collective effort by the Chen families from 72 counties all over Guangdong Province at the end of the 19th century during the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty. The temple was built to honor and worship their ancestors. It was also used to house Chen family members who came from all over the province to sit for the imperial examinations. That is why it is also known as the Chen Family Academy. Today, it is the largest and best preserved example of the architecture and artistry of the time in all of Guangdong Province.

This is a really unique experience in that you get to walk through the Chen Family House in its restored glory. It is almost like walking through a living museum. I really enjoyed seeing the restored details of the architecture. Most of all, I think that it helped me to feel in touch with my heritage like I had never been able to in the United States. Even though I have seen countless pieces of Chinese art and furniture, what really impacted me was the feeling the setting evoked. When you walk into the courtyard, you have a sense of time slowing and changing. You can imagine what life was like in that time...what it felt like on hot days or what it felt like on rainy days. It was just a really neat experience.

I'll probably be lynched for this report on Guangz

by kellytree

"Kel goes to China and hates it (che vergogna!!)"

Here is my little report I wrote about my trip to Guangzhou-- its not a fair or objective view of Guangzhou- just my experience this time - next time I promise it will be better!
China-

Hate to say it but that place is nasty – ok, let’s be fair it’s a big country and I just happened to go to a crappy area ( I can only pray that it doesn’t get worse than that!). Thank the lord for imported beer .

On a positive note I felt way Eurotrash the whole week brushing my teeth with Evian mineral water. The h2o in the hotel was stinky- Im talking stink – I lived on a farm for a few years so my olfactory system is not exactly delicate.

The 2 hour trip from Hong Kong to Guangzhou took 5 hours . Lucky ducky Kelly met a guy named Delfino from Portugal – I thought that was a good omen with his name being Delfino and all ( my previous neighbors name was Delfino and my current neighbor is Delfina). Delfino from Portugal has been to China a billion times – aka – knew EVERYTHING. …. Nice boy offered to show me my hotel room when we got to Guangzhou – I declined.

There were tons of street vendors selling DOG PELTS!!! Lovely. The really cool thing about these dog pelts is that they print leopard spot and zebra stripe motifs on the hair.

The positive side of this is that there is no dog poo on the side walk. The Chinese have made up for that by spewing big lungys all over.

In front of my hotel there was a pretty park – kinda cool to see all the Chinese folk out there in the morning doing Tai Chi. Actually the first morning they were out there dancing the salsa – at frickin 8am! Whatever dudes. … I was too lame to go and join in – I really wanted too but I told myself that I was there to work and had to behave.

Im trying to be positive and write an upbeat “how cool is China” type of report here but it just aint happenin’ The food was nasty (obviously – veggies get watered with the liquid they call water and the beast drink it and the fish swim in it so there is no way in heck that anything could be good ) – what a bummer – Maybe I have lived in Italy too long but a week with really really bad food bites.

On my way back to the hotel from the trade show (day two) I met 2 Ozzies- went out to dinner with them at the local Irish pub ( those Irish do get around!) – the mashed potatos were dealable – and so was the whisky. Whisky on the rocks. I had a thought that maybe I should get mine straight up but by then the glass was already there so I didn’t want to be a wuss and mention that those rocks were made with stink water.

I only had the runs for a couple hours the next morning. I imagined it would be worse.

Next day back to the fair and ran into Delfino - seriously strange since this fair is HUGE – we went out for dinner and then took a walk down Benjing Rd…….. full of shops with authentic imitation EVERYTHING. I bought myself a REAL Chinese Gucci bag. 5 bucks.

And no we didn’t doink.

Or kiss.

He was nice enough to hang out with but as me and my girlfriends say " wouldnt wanna do him"

After the fair ( the first day) I walked by a beauty shop and decided to get my hair trimmed. 4 bucks for a wash (in the stink water but the head massage was awesome) , cut and blow dry. AND there was no need to make small talk with the hairdresser since he didn’t speak English .

Fast forward to the end of the trip I took a train back to Hong Kong – that was cool. Kinda like Amtrack. Assigned seats and all – and it took an hour and a half as stated on the schedule. The only scary part was when the chick passed with some nice Chinese food for sale – luckily nobody got anything garlicky to stink up the compartment.

The Hong Kong airport is a Mother (aka Dianne) and Penelope and all the other shopoholics that I know paradise – miles and miles of shops – Prada, Gucci, Bvlgara, ect ect. Ole Grampa Choo and Izzy and Alfie would have been just as pleased with all the electronic gizmo computer junk.

I flew with Emirate air – nice planes – great service – the food was fine- pleasant stewardess.

Dubai airport is very cool – very ethnic. On the way back to Italy I left Dubai with daylight so I got to see all the sand ( Kelly the idiot screams on the plane OH my gawdddddddddd – look at all that sand – geeezz it looks like a deserttttttttttttt).

Got back to Italy on Thursday around 12 and the first thing I did was go to the bar for a coffee --- not true – the first thing I did was go to the bar and get a beer.

It’s a long way from China to Campono (via Dubai) – I figured the more brain dead the better.

Hell I got back to Fabriano and couldn’t go any further – I ended up sleeping there and went home the next day.

On Friday the kids came after school – Tokkie was worried that I would be killed in China – it was nice to have them run up the stairs –so happy to see me – KEEEELYYYYYYYYYYYYY – MOMMMMMMMMMMYY, WHEREEEEEEEEES THEEPRESENTSSSSSSSS??

PS: One really important thing to mention : the chinese people were very nice - I didnt talk to many due to my language deficiency - but they were still nice -

Comments