Ocean Hotel

Business Travel
See Amenities
Torunn's Profile Photo

No sleep here- Ocean Hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 27, 2006

After a 32 hour travel from Norway I looked forward to a short, but good nights sleep before working the next day. I was given a room and went to sleep. After sleeping for half an hour they called from the reception, saying I had to be out of the room by 7 next morning because of some work they had to do on the room. If I needed to sleep longer, I could just call and have another room.
Ok, I had to get up at 10 anyway, but knowing I had to get up before my room was invaded by workers it took the rest of that night's sleep away. At 6 I tried to call the reception to have another room and at least have a few hours calm sleep before getting up. But then no one could give me a room and I had to get up anyway. Man was I pissed when checking out....

Couldn't recommend!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 13, 2006

We got here after a hot days travelling from HK. Checked in and the receptionist asked if she could take a deposit, I said fine, how much? She said 1000RMB (£80 ish), I gave her a credit card which her colleague took away. A moment later she said the card was not working so I asked how much she was trying to take? 20400RMB! The total cost of our 18 night stay! I'm glad I gave her a card with a low limit (not the card I would have settled the bill with) as I would have paid the full amount before having even seen the room. The discussion went along the lines of, Me: you said the deposit was 1000RMB, how much is it? Receptionist: 1000RMB. Me:How much are you trying to take? Receptionist: 20400RMB. Me: I don't want you to take 20400RMB before I have seen the room, I will only pay a small deposit. Receptionist: That's fine, we will take a small deposit of 1000RMB. Me: Thankyou. Receptionist: OK, we will charge you 20400 RMB now. Me: What? Confused!!! Eventually they took a small deposit under duress (after we said we would find another hotel, thanks), and we found our way to the noisiest room with the hardest and most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in.
Room service telephoned us at gone 1am to question our breakfast room service, then were knocking on the door at 1.30 am to double check our name. We then were woken at 7am by a maid, however, breakfast (disappointing) was delivered spot on time at 9.15.
I was expecting to be ripped off by hawkers and taxi drivers but not a large hotel complex. I almost asked if I wanted to eat in the hotel restaurant if I would need to pay the bill before sitting down to eat, but didn't have the inclination or energy!
We originally booked for an 18 day stay but left for another hotel after only five days.
Reception didn't seem to know what was going on with the shuttle bus to the canton fair, 'Pazhou Bus' got too easily confused with 'Pizza Hut' (at 9am?), the fact that we were in the city with 250000 other people for the fair was a complete surprise and caused utter confusion!

Unique Quality: 'Fawlty Towers' service coupled with 'camping without a ground mat' comfort.
All in all, the most badly organised, rip-off, clueless, uncomfortable establishment I have ever stayed in, and all this for $250US per night (fair rates), you would be better off sleeping in the gutter (probably more comfortable than the bed, I can still feel it now!).
Hope this helps somebody!

Nearby Ocean Hotel

Ocean Hotel

• Ocean Hotel Guangzhou

Address: 412 Huanshi Dong Rd, Dongshan District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510061, China

Amenities at Ocean Hotel

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Shuttle Service

Guangzhou Travel Forum

Need advice about Guangzhou, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Guangzhou and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Guangzhou hotel reviews

Restaurants
Not what it used to be
Definitely Worth a Visit
Things to Do
Excellent Arabic & Indian Food !
Restaurants
Ride a boat on canal in Li Yuan Park
Morning walk at Li Yuan People's Park
No 9 SPA
Yuexiu Park: South Yuexiu Lake
Yuexui Park: Five Ram Statue and Fairy Court
Zhenhai Tower or Guangzhou Museum
Things to Do
Yuexiu Park: Old Wall (Ming Dynasty)
Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall