SunIsland Holiday Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Shenzhen

Just the first floorJust the first floor

A mall near the railway stationA mall near the railway station

street scenestreet scene

Lotus ParkLotus Park

VISA for 3 days in China in Lohu/Lowu border

by daisydayag

HI! A friend plans a trip for us to Hk before she leave to UK. So, I thought of going to Shenzhen. I heard that prior Olympics, China has been strict with the visa. Is it still so now? If it is not, how much will it be for three days stay in China? I heard before there are 5 day visa given with no charge..Are there still such now in Lohu border? Coz I plan to go to Shenzhen by train to visit the kindergarten where I used to work. I am Filipino national by the way. Also, I plan to go to Macau by bus, from Shenzhen-->Zhuhai--> Macau 'coz I plan to go back Philippines via Tigerairways because it is cheaper that way than going back HK (via Cebu Pacific -->Philippines)

Will this be possible? Any advice? ('Coz I am taking the cheaper way to get to HK-->Shenzhen-->(Zhuhai)Macau....)

I'll be happy to hear from you!

by chinamonty

Not sure on the answer as today is the day things are supposed to change but no one has been specific as to what the change will be. It has been said that things will return to pre-Olympic status but this is China and things work (or should I say dont work) in strange ways. I would expect that border visas will be available but if you want to go to Macau then you need to get a tourist visa as the 5 day visa is for Shenzhen only from my recollection. Tourist visas should be easier now but I will keep my ears open and if I hear anything I will post it. If you cant get in to China you could still take a fery direct from HK to Macau

by polartraveller

My take is "everything back to normal" but "visa on arrival" at SHenzhen crossing is still not available. But again like others mentioned, things can change anytime.

by travelling_man

I have just re-newed my visa in Hong Kong. I USED to be able to get the 1 year visa but with the restrictions imposed I am the same as everyone else and could only get the single/dual entry. Anyhow, when I went this time the same restrictions were STILL in place and so I could only get a dual entry. I collected my passport with visa on Tuesday 21st Oct.

by anoum

I have just handed my passport to the travel agent (in Malaysia) for visa application. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told that all I need to hand in for the application was a photo and my passport,no need for proof of hotel booking or return flight ticket. Post-Olympic loosening of regulations perhaps.

by daisydayag

thanks so much to those who replied!

Travel Tips for Shenzhen

Research labs

by shivan

These are us in the research lab, dressed like penguins...

We were visitng that office that afternoon and the first impression was that of an office made for visitors. There was an exposition area, anyway, and a guy explaining that had a terrible english. We understood almost nothing

Air flights from Shenzhen

by albaaust

We caught the plane from Shenzhen to Xian. The airline was China Southern and cost: 650 Yuan plus 50 Yuan fuel surcharge plus 100 Yuan other taxes. The flight itself took two and quarter hours and a very smooth flight. Our flight was for 9.15 am but we left at 9.45am and arrived at Xian at 12.05pm. We were carrying wine in our hand luggage bags. Customs requested that we have them wrapped in a polystyrene box at the packing area just before you go through customs. Cost about 5 yuan. The box was then put with the rest of our luggage.

Window to the World

by DreamingJosipa

If you don't have time to travel around the world, then you should come to the 'Window to the World' in Shenzhen. All the famous and beautiful scenes are here in original or smaller size. You could travel around the world in one day. There will be a big multiple cultural dance show every night on the stage in front of the Eiffel tower, every exciting!
Enjoy!

The Door to the West

by gaolei

"The Old Days"

I was in Shenzhen for the first time in 1993. By Chinese standards this was in the old days. Shenzhen had already developed a large glass and chrome downtown area, but that quickly disappeared as you drove a few miles toward the outskirts.

At the time, the freeways were still being built. To enter the Shenzhen Economic zone area everyone had to show their papers. This was done to keep the people from all over China from entering the city to look for work. Since I was working a mile outside the zone in Buji, I had to show a passport every day to get back to my hotel. When you take the freeway into Shenzhen, you will pass through the boundary where the guards used to stand, but it is no longer used.

"Anything can happen in China and probably will."

While working in a telephone wire factory in Buji, I heard a loud boom and, at the same time, the windows in the meeting room blew in. Since the building was still under construction, I guessed that the staging had fallen down. When I went outside, I saw this massive mushroom cloud over the city. Ammonium nitrate and other things being stored in the city by the army explodes and leveled several blocks.

The resulting fire burned intensely for the entire day. Shenzhen called Hong Kong for help, the first such request ever. Early in the morning the next day, the fire was brought under control. It continued to burn for another day and smoldered for a week.

The announcement from city officials indicated that something had happened and there was a big fire. The Hong Kong news claimed hundreds or thousands died. The city officials claimed 7 died. They said that they only count bodies, not missing people.

"Today"

Shenzhen is a huge city that is fully developed. The Shekuo district, which was an undeveloped area on the Southern end of the city is a great area for westerners to stay as you can see from the photos on subsequent pages.

The downtown section is the oldest modernized section of the city and it is where the train arrives from Hong Kong. Most visitors see this area first. Between this section and Shekuo is about 10 miles of shopping areas, apartments and palm trees lined streets. There is a waterfront park where you can look out over the bay and see the new suspension bridge to Hong Kong. Things really have changed in the past 15 years.

Running through Great Scenery

by Cuteclu

"Starting at the Hotel"

The sole purpose of this trip was to run and to have fun.

We started the run off at our beautiful hotel. Surrounded by water, trees, and mountains, this hotel was the perfect place to begin!

"Hiking the Slippery Slope"

Running with us does not always mean running.

Sometimes it means hiking up some incredibly steep mountain sides...and the beach was no exception. At least this mountain had some gorgeous, if not deadly, things to look down at.

See the rocks below...

"Through the lush green terrain"

Not a lot of people think that China has lush green forests....but it does!

Weekly, my firends and I explore the wonders of China around Guangzhou (notably, on of the most polluted cities in China) and find green spaces that even Canadians love.

The beach had it all...sand, surf, and green spaces. Just look at the faces of those happy runners.

"Ending on the beach"

There's nothing like running along the sandy beach to make you tired.

It's a good thing we decided to do it at the end of our run, so everyone could hurle themselves into the sea when they were exhausted.

It really was picturesque.

Comments